Anybody hunt with a 45/70??

Bowhunter24

was wondering if anybody deer hunted with a 45/70. I was thinking of getting a barrel for my encore in that caliber for short range thicket hunting

Guide Gun Fan

Yep, have a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. Use Cor-bon bullets in it, they crank! I have been extremely pleased with this tool for just about anything inside 150 yards. My results with it are devastating - deer/hogs don't run, they drop, this sucker hits with authority. Drawback-with hot loads you're looking at considerable recoil on a short weapon. You'll know what I mean after the 3rd or 4th shot at the range if your Encore is similar in dimensions to the Marlin. There has also been a resurgence in the 444 Marlin and a couple other calibers with better ballistics since I got this one, but I am quite satified with the performance......

Last edited:

Larry Rooks

I use the Mrlin Guide Gun in 444, very close to your caliber and love it for the short close range stuff in the thickets. The only time I break it out is when I am headed into the thick stuff. Works great and the 45-70 will also

HORTON

I just got the Marlin .450 last year and killed a doe with it. She never knew what hit her. Perfect gun for this territory. Reminds me alot of my 'ole Marlin 336.
I wavered between the .45/70 and the .450, but felt better about the loads on the new caliber .450.

Boudreaux is right, though. Take you an extra pillow to the range for the shoulder. It will sure make you sore.

Burl E.

Oh Yea!

I have a Thompson Contender 45-70 pistol I hunt with. Finished off a elk in CO. with it last November. It has a muzzel brake that helps it with the recoil. I call it "My Girlie Pistol" It is a BLAST to shoot!!!

Big M

I have a Ruger #1 in -45/70 it's a neat gun for brush busting,but not my cup of tea. :whip:

GAR

45-70

Hunt with my great grandfathers 1886 Winchester in 45-90 WCF. Only differance is the case length is 3/10" longer.

Would like to purchase one of the Marlin Cowboy rifles in 45-70. Stoke it to the gills with some 400gr LBT style WFNGC and hold on. Make one heck of a brush gun.

Ruger#1 or an older #3 in 45-70 would be great also.

GAR

W4DSB

I use a 45-70 marlin sometimes and boy that thing is like a sledge hammer on Game. I think without looking that it is a model 1895 that is a little longer than some of them.
Recoil is very managable for me

Last edited:

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
I have always wanted one. Maybe I will buy me one for Christmas this year.

bugman

Banned
W4DSB said:
I use a 45-70 marlin sometimes and boy that thing is like a sledge hammer on Game. I think without looking that it is a model 1895 that is a little longer than some of them.
Recoil is very managable for me

I have that same gun. It seems to be a couple of inches longer than other models. I put a Sims pad on mine, which took a lot of kick out of it. Great gun.

GAR

45-70

Do most of you shoot factory loads or do you reload for this old round?

Reason I ask is most factory stuff is loaded to be used in all 45-70's. Garrett and Corbon make some loads that bring the 45-70 into the modern realm.

GAR

Latest posts