Anyone been to or camped at Conasauga Lake lately?

Jethro Bodean

The campground was closed earlier this year, once things got heated up in the Covid-scam. Also, the Old CCC Camp Rd was closed a few months ago, if memory serves. From what I can tell, both that road and the campground seem to be open again. Anyone been up there recently and can confirm that? I'm thinking of doing some camping and hiking up there soon.

westcobbdog

Last time I camped there the road in was very bumpy. Lake is pretty and a nice setting but the tree frog noise was deafening at night.

Jethro Bodean

I camped there last night. The CCC Camp road was open and passable in almost any vehicle, but it was quite rough, with many potholes and washboards. I bottomed out my 4Runner numerous times, when I didn't see the potholes or rocks in time, traveling 25-30 mph, which was way too fast in places.

The campground was nearly full when I left at noon today. I imagine anyone arriving early Saturday morning would probably not get a campsite.

Found what I think was some bear scat, on the hike down the gated road from Grassy Mountain fire tower. And more bear (likely) scat on the Songbird Trail.

20201001_145218.jpg20201002_084533.jpg

This is the nicest campground in Georgia, in my opinion. $15/night in a pay envelope, so you must have exact change. Nice clean bathrooms flush toilets and cold water sinks, but no showers. I have camped there 6-7 times in the last 35 years. I miss when trout could be caught in the lake, but after USFS changed the way the lake drains, the water is now too warm to support trout. I saw bass and bream, but was unable to get even a nibble on Panther Martins or a tiny crawfish crankbait.

Nice easy hike to a beautiful beaver pond, a nice easy hike around the highest lake in Georgia, and a moderate, very nice 2+ mile hike to the old fire tower on top of Grassy Mountain. You can climb the tower, but it is locked under the floor. You can get a great 360 degree view from there, on the stairs.