Anyone Bow Hunt Out of a Ladder Stand

georgiadawgs44

It’s been a long time since I bow hunted and I’m going to get back into it this year. We have our property set up really nice with lots of box stands and tripods. I’m not in as good as shape as I used to be and have a bum knee that’s bone on bone so a climber is out. I’ve been looking at the Millennium M-150 lock on but I’m thinking the climbing sticks may be hard to navigate. I think I can do it but maybe not that easily.

I was thinking a ladder stand might be my best option. Maybe I can just lower the shooting rail. I know that decreases the safety of it to though.

I’d appreciate any thoughts.

NBN

I’m a climber and hang on guy, but last year my daughter said she wanted to sit with me so I bought a 18’ two person ladder stand. I bow hunted out of it just fine. Shot a doe and had no problems. I’m a short dude so I just made sure my bow was over the rail and was good. Don’t count out ground blinds it’s crazy what you can get away with in them.

ansonjjj

I bowhunt out of ladderstands every year. Our place was setup with ladder stands for primarily rifle hunting before i got into bow hunting. Most of them have an adjustable shooting rail that will lower out of the way or either a full sized platform for an easy standing shot without having to move the rail. I do have 2 hang ons and a climber now but i still bowhunt from my ladderstands with success every year.

gtb3440

I hunt out of two 2-man ladder stands on the property I hunt. I've practiced shooting over the rails and have no problems. Can't beat the comfort and safety. I also use a climber once I notice active trail patterns later in the fall. And I use a ground blind occasionally, which I enjoy more than being up a tree.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Bubba and I are slowly but surely migrating all our stands to ladders over the last 2 years. 18-21 ft 1.5 man ladders are incredibly comfy and have lots of room. I keep the rail folded up against the tree. Bubba likes the rail moved forward. Either way works and we both sling arrows from them every year. Gonna take a while to replace the 30 or so lockons :bounce:

We will keep a few lockons and sticks for the places that ladders just wont work, but man I love my ladders these days.

Dont forget lifelines work great on ladders too

20181022_121656.jpg20191023_170447.jpg20191026_152127.jpg20181109_060028.jpg

georgiadawgs44

Bubba and I are slowly but surely migrating all our stands to ladders over the last 2 years. 18-21 ft 1.5 man ladders are incredibly comfy and have lots of room. I keep the rail folded up against the tree. Bubba likes the rail moved forward. Either way works and we both sling arrows from them every year. Gonna take a while to replace the 30 or so lockons :bounce:

We will keep a few lockons and sticks for the places that ladders just wont work, but man I love my ladders these days.

View attachment 1036471View attachment 1036472View attachment 1036473View attachment 1036474
Great info. Thank you

Jim Boyd

Been doing it almost 40 years now....

I have probably 40 or so in the field and they range from 12’ to 25’. That last one is UP THERE....

Good luck !

shdw633

ganderoutdoors.com has some real nice X-stand 1 and 2 man ladder stands on sale right now. Just picked up the 20 foot Duke to bow hunt out of this year, plus it only takes one person to set it up, which to me is a bonus!! Good luck

flatsmaster

I 2nd the Xstand Duke ... can secure to tree before climbing the stand ... we have 7 in Illinois and have 8 to put together for my son in Fl and more to head North ... like Jim slowly replacing some lock ons but just won’t work in all trees ... I just bought 4 from Gander Outdoor on sale with $8 surcharge for heavy ship and tax for 160 each ... can usually find on sale from 160 best to 180 ... over that I wait on next sale ... we leave rail off bc only bow hunt .. good luck

uturn

I am also a lock-on guy I just love them..so committed that I had like 6 Or 8 family tradition ladders just laying on the ground at camp then one of my ole friends and I were havng a conversation about stands and archery hunting etc...he love ladders for bow hunting and has like 100 leaned up on his farm!

Leaned a couple last year and I’m gonna be doing some more tomorrow...once I started hunting them last year I really could not believe that I had been so narrow minded about them for archery hunting...forever in my line up now!

Thru the shooting rail in the shed

Last edited:

stringmusic

View attachment 1036471View attachment 1036472View attachment 1036473View attachment 1036474
Is that the hawk Denali 1.5 man stand? If so, we have one on our lease, but have 2 academy brand 1.5 man stands, and I have to say the academy stand beats the hawk in about all categories. A lot more room on the platform which is nice for now hunting. $150 is nice too.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner-deluxe-ladder-stand#repChildCatid=4753512

georgiadawgs44

Thanks for the comments guys! Really appreciate them! I had a Millennium 21’ that I put up here at the house. I sat in it one time with my bow and was planning on getting familiar with it and how I would hunt it with a bow. I haven’t got a safety harnesses and life line yet and didn’t feel all that comfortable with my bow and standing up. So I decided not to get back up there until I had a safety harness. Then someone stole it. I got pretty discouraged and kind said the heck with it. That was last year.

I know I need the harness and life line so that’s another expense plus buying stands. The info y’all provided has shown me the direction I need to go. Hopefully I’ll be able to get at least one stand plus the safety equipment.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Is that the hawk Denali 1.5 man stand? If so, we have one on our lease, but have 2 academy brand 1.5 man stands, and I have to say the academy stand beats the hawk in about all categories. A lot more room on the platform which is nice for now hunting. $150 is nice too.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner-deluxe-ladder-stand#repChildCatid=4753512

It is the denali. We found a bunch on sale for $170 I think and jumped on them. Then found out they sit great, but definitely arent perfect especially the platform. We have a couple of others that are pretty good as well, but I like the looks of the game winner in your link too.

It's only money right??? :rofl:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Thanks for the comments guys! Really appreciate them! I had a Millennium 21’ that I put up here at the house. I sat in it one time with my bow and was planning on getting familiar with it and how I would hunt it with a bow. I haven’t got a safety harnesses and life line yet and didn’t feel all that comfortable with my bow and standing up. So I decided not to get back up there until I had a safety harness. Then someone stole it. I got pretty discouraged and kind said the heck with it. That was last year.

I know I need the harness and life line so that’s another expense plus buying stands. The info y’all provided has shown me the direction I need to go. Hopefully I’ll be able to get at least one stand plus the safety equipment.

Man I hate a thief