Anyone Else Kept Away From Taurus Magnums?

Because of their ported barrels.
Ported barrels are fine, I’m not knocking them in general. I simply can’t stand the noise. The thought of squeezing the trigger on a ported tube without solid ear protection makes me lay Taurus revolvers back down despite liking many other features present on them.

I’d like to see them offer a few hunting models without ports.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Because of their ported barrels.
Ported barrels are fine, I’m not knocking them in general. I simply can’t stand the noise. The thought of squeezing the trigger on a ported tube without solid ear protection makes me lay Taurus revolvers back down despite liking many other features present on them.

I’d like to see them offer a few hunting models without ports.

I had a 8" Raging Bull back in the day. Pistol was great, shot real well. Put a red dot on it, sighted it a t 50, was in business!

Bring in the handgun hunt!!!

Shot a doe in a slough off the Satilla River with no ear protection....

That was the last time I fired that gun, and I traded it off. Unbelievable blast down in that old slough!!!

Lonegle57

Been handgun hunting for many years. In my ignorant youth hunted without
hearing protection, mostly carrying a Contender in 35 Remington. Now hear crickets
24/7. I like a muzzle brake or ported to reduce recoil. Ported or not wont go out and shoot or hunt without ear protection. In my case though I dont mind recoil, many
of my hunting guns have a brake or are ported. In the Taurus realm have a Raging Hunter in 44 mag mostly because I like a slab sided revolver. Need to burn some more powder in it, mostly concentrating on using a 41 mag this year, my personal fav.

Dub

I used to be highly averse to hunting with anything that any type of porting, brake, etc.

Wouldn't think of it.

Now....hearing protection is in use whenever I plan on pulling the trigger. Period.

In short....I'm not averse to some ported guns like I once was.

Anything that I cary for self defense, however, will not have any type of porting, compensator, brake, etc.

As far as Taurus guns.....if I was in the market for another hunting revolver....I'd certainly look at them, too. All indications are that quality assurance is a living & breathing core principle at the current facility and they are working mighty hard towards huge course corrections over where they were a few years ago.

Gallery Of Guns has a Taurus in their giveaway promotion I received earlier. Got me to thinking. I always use ear protection while practicing or plinking, but I can’t always have the hearing protection in place. I know electronic protection is an option, just don’t really want another gadget to fool with.

As many of you have stated, experience is a great teacher. The percussion is far worse than recoil for me.

Conceal carry is out of the question too.

frankwright

I handgun hunt a lot and I just don't shoot without hearing protection.
I have several sets of electronic ear muffs but I don't want to carry anything else. I always have a pair of these around my neck or on my hat.https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Works-818070-Hearing-Protection/dp/B0009XAIIC?th=1
I have never missed my chance at an animal because I had to put hearing protection in.
They have some good, relatively inexpensive, In ear hearing protection/hearing enhancement plugs that you can leave in all the time.
They will even help those whose hearing is not that good.
I am pretty old, worked around aircraft engines my whole adult life and I usually still hear a deer before I see it. Protect your ears.

Robust Redhorse

I've owned 6 Taurus pistols and had to send 5 back for repair when they were brand new.

(One could never be repaired after 3 round trips (I had to pay the overnight shipping on 2 trips), so I had to settle for a cheaper replacement, which also proved to be a Jam-O-Matic)

I have heard that the GA made guns are better, and I am thinking about getting a TX22.

The big hunting revolvers may be better, but I would NOT trust my life to an Taurus autoloader, rimfire .22 revolver or .38 Special snubbie.

cddogfan1

I tend to disagree with the quality comment. Everyone I have handled felt rough. I agree they are too big also

Gbass4567

I've never owned one but I loaded some ammo for a friend to hunt with and noticed how much shorter the cylinder length was compared to my smith 629 and my ruger redhawk. I load keith style hardcast at 1.710 and you couldn't close the cylinder and before anyone says that's too long this is published load data.

Weird how things work. I was talking to a younger fellow 40’ish that had just gotten his first AR, he was shocked at how much sound and percussion the little round has.

His uncle gave him a Walker unit. He praised it for just how well it works. What do you know? The next day I get an email with the Walker model below on sale.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023150177?pid=582086

I have one on the way. We’ll see if it’s something I can and will use for hunting.

Seems like someone or thing is listening to every conversation now.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't trust Taurus pistols or revolvers. Almost everybody I know who has owned one has had issues with it.

Darkhorse

I've avoided Taurus, not due to porting, but because their metallurgy was not up to US standards. There was a time they published some loads for select pistols and they were all well under our common loads.
Now having said that.... I'm almost interested in one of their 1911's. Lots of claimed features, and a low price.
It really depends on their current state of quality control.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I always wear hearing protection when practicing and hunting so a ported barrel does not bother me. I do prefer Ruger and S&W for my hunting wheel guns though.

Reactions: Dub

ScarFoot

I have a .44 magnum 2” ported Taurus. I used it for many years as a primary gun when tracking wounded deer and hogs with a dog. I always shot full house loads with 240grain Keith bullets and it never let me down. I wear amplifying shot cancelling muffs at all times in the woods. I’m a SW fan but can’t list any complaints about the compact power of the Taurus. My 2 cents

rosewood

I don't trust Taurus pistols or revolvers. Almost everybody I know who has owned one has had issues with it.
I own several and so does my brother, never any issues here. They can't touch S&W on fit and finish, but they work.

Rosewood

basshappy

BANNED
+ on always having ear protection in place everytime I am planning on discharging be it practice or hunting. Self defense unplanned goes as it unfolds.

I have had no mechanical issues with any Taurus revolver I've cycled and I am good on fit and finish for the ones I have held. I am certain there are others with an exact opposite experience be it Taurus or another manufacturer.

.41magnum is my choice for whitetail deer hunting. Last season I harvested an 8-point buck with a Ruger Redhawk that is a sleek, sexy wheelie (3rd down right column shown in picture). This season I was leaning toward a S&W (top right column in picture) but I am now going with a New Model Blackhawk (2nd down left column). Thete is a .41magnum Raging Bull (3rd down left column) by Taurus that I would have no qualms about using to harvest a whitetail deer as it has functioned flawlessly in every practice.

Ported or not it is loud enough to require ear protection.
20221009_112816.jpg