Anyone Fix Cabbage Like This?

Redbow

I don't have a picture but cut up a chicken breast or pork chops into chunks. Season, flour and fry in oil in fry pan or deep fat fryer. Melt about three quarters of a stick of butter in another fry pan. We cut up enough cabbage for two people and a medium onion. Place cabbage and onions in fry pan and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally or until done to your liking. We like ours just a bit crunchy. Add the fried chicken or pork to the onion cabbage mix and serve. It makes a good meal anytime but for us especially on these cool days. Toasted bread or corn bread goes good with it also.

Jeetdawg

Sounds good. One thing I tried recently was cutting up/cooking smoked sausages/kielbasa and using the grease to cook the cabbage. We then mixed it together and served. Might try your method

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
For cabbage, I`ll cut up about 6 or 12 slices of bacon, and chop up a big ol onion in the frying pan. While that`s coming up to heat, I`ll walk out to the garden and pull up one of those Early Jersey Wakefield cabbage, and bring it in. Chop it up and throw it in the pan too, and fry it till it wilts a little bit. Have some hot biscuits to go with it.

Redbow

For cabbage, I`ll cut up about 6 or 12 slices of bacon, and chop up a big ol onion in the frying pan. While that`s coming up to heat, I`ll walk out to the garden and pull up one of those Early Jersey Wakefield cabbage, and bring it in. Chop it up and throw it in the pan too, and fry it till it wilts a little bit. Have some hot biscuits to go with it.
Yep, we sometimes fry a strip or two of bacon and put that in with the cabbage and onions it adds flavor. Its amazing that the cabbage cooks quicker in the fry pan than in a pot of boiling water.. Steam does the trick every time.

Jim Baker

Staff member
This is my cabbage recipe although It might vary from cooking to cooking.

Coarsely chopped head of cabbage, slice 2 large yellow onions.
put in large boiler. Cover with water and add tsp spoon of salt, table spoon of season all salt bring to boil cover then cut to a simmer. Brown 1# of ground beef. Add grd beef to cabbage, Add one can stewed tomatoes, one can of red kidney beans, 1 package of chili seasoning. Bring back to a boil, then to a simmer. Stir occasionally until cabbage is soft.

It is better if it sits in the fridge overnight.

Longhorn 16

I will soon. I am just waiting for a bachelor night because sunshine has a hard no with cabbage.