Anyone into the Hebrew roots of Christianity?

BANDERSNATCH

I think the OP might have been looking for present day Christians but the discussion could look back in time to when Jewish Christians practiced Torah.

Did Paul practice Torah?

Sorry guys...just hard to stay logged in and reply. Yes...I was wondering if any of you knew of any Christians that followed Torah... Like me :)

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
The last Temple was the last known dwelling place of God per old Testament faith...

When did it change?

1Ki 8:27 "But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain you; how much less this house that I have built!

1Ki 8:30 And listen to the plea of your servant and of your people Israel, when they pray toward this place. And listen in heaven your dwelling place, and when you hear, forgive.

+/- half dozen more before the final one in the passage.

1Ki 8:49 then hear in heaven your dwelling place their prayer and their plea, and maintain their cause.

Then we could move on to Jerimiah, Isaiah, Psalms ...

Maybe it was just Solomon and the 5 or 6 people who looked to him for wisdom who did not believe that God dwelt in the temple.

hobbs27

When did it change?

1Ki 8:27 "But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain you; how much less this house that I have built!

1Ki 8:30 And listen to the plea of your servant and of your people Israel, when they pray toward this place. And listen in heaven your dwelling place, and when you hear, forgive.

+/- half dozen more before the final one in the passage.

1Ki 8:49 then hear in heaven your dwelling place their prayer and their plea, and maintain their cause.

Then we could move on to Jerimiah, Isaiah, Psalms ...

Maybe it was just Solomon and the 5 or 6 people who looked to him for wisdom who did not believe that God dwelt in the temple.

What was done each year in atonement for the remission of sins on a temporary basis has now been accomplished in one sacrifice for all times.. By one high priest... And as God dwelled in the holiest place of the Temple , He now dwells in our bodies.
I'm not interested in explaining Temple and tabernacle dwelling of God with you right now, but there's a good bit about it in Exodus, and some NT explanations in Hebrews.

1Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
I'm not interested in explaining Temple and tabernacle dwelling of God with you right now,

We agree on that point.

1Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

You might want to look into "Progressive Revelation" as it relates to understanding how God has revealed Himself to His People; and how it is a lessen to us as we assist our brothers and sisters in their understanding. Paul tells the church at Corinth, and us, that he is using progressive revelation as he opens the passage in 1Cor. 3.

1Co 3:1 But I, brothers, could not address you as spiritual people, but as people of the flesh, as infants in Christ.
1Co 3:2 I fed you with milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it. And even now you are not yet ready,
1Co 3:3 for you are still of the flesh. For while there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not of the flesh and behaving only in a human way?

Jonnyreb

Banned
Why would a christian observe books that defile Christianity? The Torah and the Talmud go hand in hand.

The Oral Torah also includes the Midrash, an explanation of the Written Torah, comprising both ethical and legal components. Much of this material is also contained in the Talmud.

http://www.talmudunmasked.com/chapter8.htm

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
because the root of the christian belief system is the jewish belief system. We don't practice the Torah, or the Talmud like the jews, but our savior was raised and lived a observant jew. He went to temple, he sacrificed at the appointed times, he observed jewish law, and he was completely and totally jewish.

Most of our traditions are traced back to the jewish constructor of our faith, and to the other jewish men who were the early leaders of christians. To understand most of the teachings of Christ and the apostles, you need to have a working knowledge of the jewish religion

Last edited:

BANDERSNATCH

Geez, can't believe I missed out on all this discussion back then! I must not have received any notifications and it appeared that no one had responded. sorry that I - as the OP - never jumped back in here! I'll have to check my notification settings.

Anyway, I was brought up standard churchianity.....saved when I was like 13, raised in an Assembly of God church.... but now I consider myself a "Torah-observant follower of Jesus Christ. I consider it an absolute BLESSING BEYOND COMPARE that God has shown me that, although I'm already saved by faith, His desire is for me to show Him that I love Him by OBEYING HIM! Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, not the blessings of obedience.

Anyway....count me among the modern day Torah-observant crowd.... :)

RegularJoe

Just wondering if there were any (or if you knew of any) Christians who were Torah-observant?
Bandy
Yup .... I try to be.
For example, I am at the moment working my way thru the book, The Bible as History by Keller, cause it helps me do a better job of comprehending the Torah.

Artfuldodger

Then I guess from my thread on Obedience, perhaps to obey God is Torah keeping? I can see it as a way of helping stay obedient.
The obedience part of it is New Testament.

I've looked into it years ago. I do know that a lot of Christians that don't keep Torah still try and follow God's commandments. When I was growing up, the Ten Commandments were still a big part of my Church and indoctrination.

BANDERSNATCH

I wouldn't say that, Art... I know very few Christians that honor Sabbath (Friday night to Saturday night of not doing business or buying/selling) and who have given up their bacon. :) Religion is okay with most people, until it interferes with their lifestyle. As someone said earlier in this thread, we keep the commandments that we CAN keep....like the Jews did when they were in exile...

RegularJoe

There r a bawzillion laws/regs/rules presented in the Torah
many of which are today just NOT taught/adhered to in Christian circles,
BUT that ARE clearly documented therein,
e.g., men not cutting facial hair, and so on and so forth.
I, personally, struggle with how do I go about following all of them ! ....
OR the related, more practical/realistic, commitment to properly prioritizing* them
so that I can at least try to put a consistent & responsible dent :- ) into some of 'em.

I remember years ago as a new Christian I assumed that Christ's 'new covenant' was such that there must be a list somewhere of which O.T. laws were 'replaced' by the new covenant.
Why? ....
Cause today's 'church' follows' some and certainly not all.
I just figured there must be a list somewhere.
With this in mind I asked my pastor for 'the list.'
As I know you know, ART and BANDER, ....
was told that there is no such list.
Hence .... my practice is to,
a least 5 days a week,
try to be reading some portion of The Bible
(such that over time I keep processing thru the O.T. AND the N.T.)
and while praying to The Almighty
to amalgamate my awareness of both the O.T. and N.T.
thru The Holy Spirit
to grant me guidance on which laws to *prioritize the highest.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
There r a bawzillion laws/regs/rules presented in the Torah
many of which are today just NOT taught/adhered to in Christian circles,
BUT that ARE clearly documented therein,
e.g., men not cutting facial hair, and so on and so forth.
I, personally, struggle with how do I go about following all of them ! ....
OR the related, more practical/realistic, commitment to properly prioritizing* them
so that I can at least try to put a consistent & responsible dent :- ) into some of 'em.

I remember years ago as a new Christian I assumed that Christ's 'new covenant' was such that there must be a list somewhere of which O.T. laws were 'replaced' by the new covenant.
Why? ....
Cause today's 'church' follows' some and certainly not all.
I just figured there must be a list somewhere.
With this in mind I asked my pastor for 'the list.'
As I know you know, ART and BANDER, ....
was told that there is no such list.
Hence .... my practice is to,
a least 5 days a week,
try to be reading some portion of The Bible
(such that over time I keep processing thru the O.T. AND the N.T.)
and while praying to The Almighty
to amalgamate my awareness of both the O.T. and N.T.
thru The Holy Spirit
to grant me guidance on which laws to *prioritize the highest.

there is a list in the new testament, that Jesus gave us.

Love God
Love your neighbor.

BANDERSNATCH

Both the OT and NT says that it was easy to follow God's laws (and there are only 617 total...not a bazillion lol) We have thousands of laws in America that we have to adhere to...but if doesn't affect our lives. I John 5:3....This is how you show God love, by keeping His commandments...AND HIS COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT A BURDEN From the beginning of the book to the end, God has always asked us to obey Him, and it was even prophecied that we would IN LATER DAYS return to obeying him from a circumcised heart.

Artfuldodger

I wouldn't say that, Art... I know very few Christians that honor Sabbath (Friday night to Saturday night of not doing business or buying/selling) and who have given up their bacon. :) Religion is okay with most people, until it interferes with their lifestyle. As someone said earlier in this thread, we keep the commandments that we CAN keep....like the Jews did when they were in exile...

Should one go to synagogue on the Sabbath? I was thinking if one should rest on Sabbath that they should congregate on or before Sabbath.
Perhaps Friday night which I know is the start.

Artfuldodger

Nowhere is it commanded to go to church or synagogue on Sabbath. We meet together on Saturday....but we don't have to. The day is about rest and avoiding work

But if one has to work on Sabbath, that is an example of keeping the Laws that you can? Such as the captivity example.
Do you see it important not to go to restaurants on Sabbath? I grew up in a Baptist Church and we were taught not to go. We could not even go shopping. That if forced individuals to not keep the Sabbath holy by resting.

This is one of those things society has changed in my lifetime. We were once more like you in our beliefs. Women once covered their head in prayer even in most denominations. Women didn't teach men.

We once followed all of those "guidelines" in Paul's letters. Little by little and over time, we changed. Now we even sell Pumpkins on the Sabbath after Church services, on the Church property.

BANDERSNATCH

Perfectly said, Art! Keep in mind, Jesus was God Himself standing there. Jesus kept the Law perfectly, and asked us to keep it. He kept GOD'S feasts, obeyed the Law, and was found perfect on the day of Passover. Also, John tells us to emulate Christ, if we are in Him

BANDERSNATCH

But if one has to work on Sabbath, that is an example of keeping the Laws that you can? Such as the captivity example.
Do you see it important not to go to restaurants on Sabbath? I grew up in a Baptist Church and we were taught no to. That if forced individuals to not keep the Sabbath holy by resting.

This is one of those things society has changed in my lifetime. We were once more like you in our beliefs. Women once covered their head in prayer even in most denominations. Women didn't teach men.

We don't go out to eat on Sabbath since we would be buying and making others work for us. Many people have to work on Sabbath but, IMO, their heart should be to have a job where they can honor God's Sabbath.

Jabberwock

Is that really a new list though? I think those two were a part of the original Law. Perhaps Jesus is teaching what the greatest of the Law is.

Jesus then says;
"All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
Jesus said that nothing would pass away from the law until heaven and earth pass away. (Matthew 5:18-19)