Anyone keeping an eye toward the potential failure of the Three Gorges Dam in China.

Thread starter #1
Thread starter #3
Now I ain't a rocket scientist, but unless these pictures are doctored, I can see for myself that the pic on the right is cause for concern. three gorges ****.jpg

If its catastrophic for China I’m all for it. The failure would cause a fair amount of pain for the rest of the world, but ultimately we have a great amount of natural resources. We should be fine.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN MOD
Staff member
Last edited:
:/

drhunter1

I’m sorry for the people there but they didn’t do enough to get rid of the communist regime that has made the slaves. I hope they get out and decide to over throw it.

Lukikus2

That is only a matter of when, not if.

Anyone else follow the building of that dam and how the government threw the villagers out of that area and told them tough snot? They were warned by engineers around the globe about the risk of that dam from the beginning.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN MOD
Staff member
Thread starter #17
If its catastrophic for China I’m all for it. The failure would cause a fair amount of pain for the rest of the world, but ultimately we have a great amount of natural resources. We should be fine.
Well there's this too

The effect on global shipping would be akin to a waterlogged train wreck stretching for thousands of miles as some of China’s most important ports would flood, and the panicked reaction of the government in Beijing and the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) would be difficult to predict. The regime would be nervous about widespread panic and loss of confidence in the government, while the PLA grappled with losing a sizable portion of its combat strength to the floods.
“It’s the habit of authoritarian regimes to deflect from domestic disasters by lashing outward to external enemies or entities,” Kennedy noted. “It is thus a certainty that a failure of the dam will be painted as enemy action — likely pointing the finger at the U.S. and/or Taiwan.
Loss of 15% of the worlds production in one day, millions of people dead, instability in the Chinese government with a likely scenario of the US being blamed and forfeiting Taiwan, and let's not forget that China holds a great deal of our debt which is MAJOR.
I'm of the opinion that if you own someones debt, you own them to a large degree.

Whatever the case, it makes an unstable global atmosphere, even more unstable. Not good.

Thread starter #18

Lukikus2

There is this.
And the fact that one of the Chinese engineers stated they used a "special" concrete that will not fully cure for another 100 years. ?

IMG_3362.PNG

Thread starter #20
and this:

Earthquakes. Three Gorges Dam sits on two major fault lines -- Jiuwanxi and Zigui-Badong. Geologists fear that rapid changes in water pressure when the reservoir levels are changed during flood season could activate already shaky ground and trigger an earthquake (a phenomenon known as reservoir-induced seismicity). In the seven months following the 2006 increase in water level, geologists recorded 822 tremors around the reservoir [source: Hvistendahl].

Landslides and mudslides. The raising and lowering of the water level in the reservoir also destabilizes the land around it. Water seeps into the soil in the cliffs surrounding the reservoir, causing enough erosion to make the ground slip. The shore of Three Gorges reservoir has already collapsed in more than 90 places [source: Macartney]. Villagers in the area have reported mudslides and cracks appearing in their backyards. In 2003, 700 million cubic feet (20 million cubic meters) of rock slid into the Qinggan River just a couple of miles from where it flows into the Yangtze. The rockslide spawned 65-foot (20-meter) waves that killed 14 people [source: Hvistendahl].
Wonder what a 65 ft wave would do to an already fully stressed dam.