Anyone planning to hunt grouse in Georgia/NC?

Djangofly

I think you posted on NGTO about this last year as well, correct? Yeah, I still haven't figured it out yet either. I plan on tromping around the woods at some point this winter in N. Ga. with a 100 year old shotgun and hoping I stumble across one because why not!

Sautee Ridgerunner

Its gotten really bad. I hunt white, towns, union, and rabun counties. Probably put close to 500 miles on my boots every year and I might see 3-5. I did see 20 a couple years back but that was pure luck I guess because their numbers seem lower than ever.

I do bump into a pair of guys once or twice a winter that really know what they are doing. I think last year they said they were averaging 6 flushes a day and killing 1.

There is one place I flush a bird or two every time I walk into but unless my buddy wants to bring his dog up from south ga to chase em, Ill leave em be.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I haven't flushed a wild grouse in over 20 years, and I use to spend quite a bit of time in the woods. The last one I flushed was in an old abandoned railroad track. It was up on the banks, under some overgrowth

Rulo

I see them once in a blue moon up here but quit hunting them a while back.....

something about .... several hunting trips ,,,,,,finally flushed one bird, and killed it ......
just didnt seem right.

gave up the pointers..........picked up beagles.

Rebel's Dad

If you want to see more grouse in the southeast contact the Forest Service District Ranger on the mountain districts in your areas and ask to be put on the email list for comments on projects and scoping letters. And when you get those notifications take the time to respond, even if it's just a line or two stating that you support timber cutting and management.

The preservationist organizations are well funded and active, and get a lot of participation from their members in commenting on projects. A LOT more of them comment than we hunters do. It makes a difference.

There could well be issues other than habitat affecting grouse numbers, but without good early successional habitat, any other issues are even more critical.

coachdoug87

I think habitat is the biggest factor. I wasn't aware of this mail list. I will do that right away. Thanks for the information.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
My grandpa was a bird hunter in the MTNs. I remember him telling me stories. Sadly his health was In decline and he passed away when I was 13 or so. He used to take me trout fishing and deer hunting. When I asked him about grouse he would say ‘They just around no more’ (for reference I’m 34). I heard my first one a few years ago. I had non idear what it was til I saw it. I might see 3-4 a year now- and I’m out there more than most folks. All in the same terrain and forest features. Habitat is the issue, the wide open mature forest is no place for a bird on the ground. I’m sure hawks, owls, ‘yotes and the like put a hurting on them