Anyone planning to hunt grouse in Georgia/NC?

dawgvet

So I know grouse numbers in Georgia are low, but I want try hunting them for the first time this year. I was wondering if anyone else was planning on hunting 'the king of gamebirds' this season in Georgia or North Carolina? Got a new 20 ga SxS CZ and would like to tramp around in the mountains with it. I'm not looking to steal any honeyholes, but I'd love to have a mentor or someone to tag along with and learn.
Any tips, help, or feedback appreciated.
Thanks,
Jed

Resica

Good luck. Plan on trying to get out some with my Stevens side by side 20 gauge that was bought in Georgia in the 30's or early 40's up here in Pennsylvania. She has shot grouse, pheasants, woodcock and doves up here.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Good luck. Plan on trying to get out some with my Stevens side by side 20 gauge that was bought in Georgia in the 30's or early 40's up here in Pennsylvania. She has shot grouse, pheasants, woodcock and doves up here.

If you kill some, save me a fan, if you will.

Mattval

Yes I would like to know more about this. Please do an update when you go.

Wire Nut

I went this morning. Left out with a 20 ga sxs and my dog and returned with the same. Hit my favorite spot and the hogs have moved in. Went to 3 different spots and didn’t see a bird.

Wire Nut

Leaving for South Dakota in 2 weeks. On a positive note I did break in a new pair of boots

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I used to hunt them a lot, but there hasn't been enough of them around in the last decade to think about hunting them. They used to be thick as hops around here, and now you're lucky if you see 2-3 a year.

greg j

Better off going North to Ontario, Cn. They are covered up with Grouse. I know it's a long way but you will see lots of Grouse.

Resica

Hey Nic, Is this one acceptable? Came up to camp this weekend but hunted pheasants.Cabin Grouse.jpg

Attachments

• Cabin Grouse.jpg
    Cabin Grouse.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 0

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yessir! That is a beauty!