Anyone Surf Fish here?

GTMODawg

BANNED
Yeah, I surf fish.... These were all on live sand fleas and fish bites..... These are a few from a recent two days fishing during the corona virus shut down....how you fish depends on the conditions and where you are fishing and what is in the surf. In the panhandle, you can never go wrong with sand fleas or ghost shrimp...that is what most of the fish in the surf are eating...I use fish bites too with my bait as a stop, so to speak, to hold my bait on the hook and for added color. Using cut bait or squid in the spring or summer will get you too many sharks, rays and catfish where I fish most of the time...which most people do not want to catch.

Some STUD Pomps! Serious good eating....and fun to catch.

I think the shrimp or sand flea attracts the fish and they knock it off the hook and come back for the fish bite......but I have caught about as many on just fish bites. They stay on the hook a LONG time.....

GTMODawg

BANNED
In Florida please note....if you are using wire leaders of a certain length, hooks a certain size or have someone take your bait out via a kayak, etc...you best have a certificate showing you have passed the shore based shark fishing course or you will get cited and the fine can be hefty. They are cracking down on shore based fishermen fishing for sharks. Even if you catch one without any of the above, which you will, you best have the certificate if you plan on keeping a shark.

What is the reasoning? Most fisherman think its because swimmers think fishing for fish attracts fish. I do not think this is so as a fisherman, in fact I am a pretty good case study for it being absolutely not so? Is it due to big fish being fought to near death and improperly being revived? Its happening to some degree on most beaches...why the crack down? It can't possibly be swimmers complaining about attracting sharks can it????

GTMODawg

BANNED
In Florida please note....if you are using wire leaders of a certain length, hooks a certain size or have someone take your bait out via a kayak, etc...you best have a certificate showing you have passed the shore based shark fishing course or you will get cited and the fine can be hefty. They are cracking down on shore based fishermen fishing for sharks. Even if you catch one without any of the above, which you will, you best have the certificate if you plan on keeping a shark.

To be perfectly honest they ought to crack down on Reds, Tarpon and Snook fishing from the beach also....you see an awful lot of gut hooked Reds, Snook and Tarpon just unhooked or the line cut and released at times on some beaches. Add in the 10 minutes of picture taking and no effort at all to revive a fish which is nearly dead from fighting and I would bet there is some serious damage done. Most Tarpon get off before they ever know they were hooked but it ain't unusual to gut or gill hook them with J hooks.....reviving Tarpon is harder than catching them (maybe not as hard as getting a hook in them but close). At least if your using live bait you ought to use circle hooks but having some sort of online exam for reviving fish ain't a bad idea.....

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
What is the reasoning? Most fisherman think its because swimmers think fishing for fish attracts fish. I do not think this is so as a fisherman, in fact I am a pretty good case study for it being absolutely not so? Is it due to big fish being fought to near death and improperly being revived? Its happening to some degree on most beaches...why the crack down? It can't possibly be swimmers complaining about attracting sharks can it????
I think it is because a number of people beach fishing for sharks have been hurt not knowing how to deal with them. My place at the beach also happens to be one of the more popular places to beach fish for sharks in the PCB area...the public beach next to my place I should say, and I have seen a few people hurt over the years messing around with sharks when they did not know what they were doing.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Thanks yall
Well, did you get it figured out? I saw you were wanting to fish the GA coast. I do not know about now, but when I was in the Army, stationed at H.A.A.F. back in the early 1980s I surf fished Tybee a lot especially during the Fall for huge redfish/channel bass and then large bluefish. I used a fish finder rig, normally with a whole finger mullet for bait (dead) and a pyramid sinker that would be appropriate for the surf. I had a 14ft Glass rod with an old Mitchell reel made for surf fishing. Of course this was back in the early 80s and they had a huge bull red run along with a really nice bluefish run.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I think it is because a number of people beach fishing for sharks have been hurt not knowing how to deal with them. My place at the beach also happens to be one of the more popular places to beach fish for sharks in the PCB area...the public beach next to my place I should say, and I have seen a few people hurt over the years messing around with sharks when they did not know what they were doing.

That makes sense. You see a lot of folks on Youtube with big sharks posing for stupid pictures LOL....its best to get them unhooked and on their way as quick as possible but for some reason a lot of folks think its a good idea to wade into the water with them and do all manner of silly crap....not to mention dragging them up the hill and keeping them on the beach for several minutes while they get enough pictures to fill a photo album. Even a 100 pounder flopping around can break a leg not to mention damaging itself. Sharks are extremely tough but any fish that fights as hard as they do when caught from the beach (without the aid of a boat to follow them and release them quicker) is probably near death from exhertion...every second counts if it is to survive the experience.

Mattval

Well, did you get it figured out? I saw you were wanting to fish the GA coast. I do not know about now, but when I was in the Army, stationed at H.A.A.F. back in the early 1980s I surf fished Tybee a lot especially during the Fall for huge redfish/channel bass and then large bluefish. I used a fish finder rig, normally with a whole finger mullet for bait (dead) and a pyramid sinker that would be appropriate for the surf. I had a 14ft Glass rod with an old Mitchell reel made for surf fishing. Of course this was back in the early 80s and they had a huge bull red run along with a really nice bluefish run.
Hey there. Will be fishing the ga coast mainly. Going down to Florida for a week in July.