Anyone travel a lot for fun?

ringorock

I travel a bit for work. Quite frankly, it's no fun since I'm in and out before I can really enjoy any city that I stop in at.

I do vacation a lot with my wife and kids though. I'm not rich, but running a company and my wife working for the county really gives us a lot of flexibility. We bought several travel trailers throughout the years, and they've allowed us to tow and go pretty much anywhere we'd like. We have a family of four, so a small camper with a full bed and two bunks is all we really need.

Last trip was to Pensacola and we were right on the bay off the main strip. Woke up to drinking coffee on the beach every morning.

Our favorite spots are Pensacola and Maggie Valley. Going to try and change it up a bit this year and head out west.

Anyone pull or drive an RV? Have any favorite spots you want to share? City plus grounds. Even if you're not camping or glamping, I'd ove tonl discover new destinations.

Here are three I'll share that aren't so easy to find:

Picketts Memorial CCC state park in Jamestown, TN. Dark skies site, summer glow worm hike (one of only two regions in the world with them), best cliff side and cave kayaking.

Lake Cumberland state park and resort in yet another Jamestown but in KY. If you don't have a camper, they have a resort. Better yet, the state marina has a ton of house boats for rent. The lake water is a beautiful turquoise with high cliff faces surrounding the lake. You need a boat or watercraft to swim since the height from land to water is to high. Amazing spot to get away for r&r and enjoy the water. Lots of trout.

Nathan Bedford state park in Eva, TN. Great waterfront cabins. The shore lines are filled with fossils. The park is not tooooo far from land between the lakes. Great hiking. So remote that you can unplug and unwind.

Honorable mention: not a lot of great sites to camp but grabbing a vrbo on a home on lake nantahala, especially in winter is just amazing. Coming in the summer is fun too with rapids and the small activity town off the rapids

sinclair1

We are positioning for more travel now. We are thinking the plan will be to drive a luxury car or plane to resorts and Vrbo rentals.
The RV slow poking around the country doesn’t appeal to either one of us and cost more.
We have a vacation home that takes away from travel to some degree. It pretty killed our tent camping that we enjoyed before we built it.
considering selling out in 3-5 years and getting back to traveling around to different places and doing various weekend trips instead of 25 mini vacations a year to the same place.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
I'm frankly tired of dragging campers.

Would like to have one of those Mercedes-Benz (or something similar) vans like Amazon uses for delivery. I think a guy could put what he want's in one of those baby's. + the rear window only would get privacy.

To me, that would make an excellent travel van. You could have almost everything you need all packed up, ready to go. Park just about anywhere you want, rent a motel every few nights to shower. Sounds like a solid plan to me.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Traveled all my life for military and biz. Been on every continent except Antarctica. When I retire I want to be within driving distance of hunting and fishing and plan to sleep in my own bed each night.

ringorock

I'm frankly tired of dragging campers.

Would like to have one of those Mercedes-Benz (or something similar) vans like Amazon uses for delivery. I think a guy could put what he want's in one of those baby's. + the rear window only would get privacy.

To me, that would make an excellent travel van. You could have almost everything you need all packed up, ready to go. Park just about anywhere you want, rent a motel every few nights to shower. Sounds like a solid plan to me.

Yea, we really like those Mercedes Sprinters too, but we have two teenage kids right now. I have to admit, pulling the camper can be tiresome, but we bought pretty much one of the simplest ones you can get. Back it up, set the jacks, plug it up. One thing is for certain though, campers just aren't built very well, and they need a lot of TLC. Sometimes, we'll just leave the camper and grab a vrbo or a hotel right in the destination of where we want to be.

Our most recent trip without the camper was to Gatlinburg. We had a hotel right next to Ole Red, and it was quite nice being able to just drop off our luggage and get straight to buying blunt edged Chinese swords and airsoft guns.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I travel a bit for work. Quite frankly, it's no fun since I'm in and out before I can really enjoy any city that I stop in at.

I do vacation a lot with my wife and kids though. I'm not rich, but running a company and my wife working for the county really gives us a lot of flexibility. We bought several travel trailers throughout the years, and they've allowed us to tow and go pretty much anywhere we'd like. We have a family of four, so a small camper with a full bed and two bunks is all we really need.

Last trip was to Pensacola and we were right on the bay off the main strip. Woke up to drinking coffee on the beach every morning.

Our favorite spots are Pensacola and Maggie Valley. Going to try and change it up a bit this year and head out west.

Anyone pull or drive an RV? Have any favorite spots you want to share? City plus grounds. Even if you're not camping or glamping, I'd ove tonl discover new destinations.

Here are three I'll share that aren't so easy to find:

Picketts Memorial CCC state park in Jamestown, TN. Dark skies site, summer glow worm hike (one of only two regions in the world with them), best cliff side and cave kayaking.

Lake Cumberland state park and resort in yet another Jamestown but in KY. If you don't have a camper, they have a resort. Better yet, the state marina has a ton of house boats for rent. The lake water is a beautiful turquoise with high cliff faces surrounding the lake. You need a boat or watercraft to swim since the height from land to water is to high. Amazing spot to get away for r&r and enjoy the water. Lots of trout.

Nathan Bedford state park in Eva, TN. Great waterfront cabins. The shore lines are filled with fossils. The park is not tooooo far from land between the lakes. Great hiking. So remote that you can unplug and unwind.

Honorable mention: not a lot of great sites to camp but grabbing a vrbo on a home on lake nantahala, especially in winter is just amazing. Coming in the summer is fun too with rapids and the small activity town off the rapids
We stayed way up the mountain on Nantahala last year and it was really nice!!

I travel when I can afford it, thats pretty fun.

Went to the Rockies out in CO last winter. Sure was pretty.

Attachments

• 20190113_170051.jpg
    20190113_170051.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 0113191655.jpg
    0113191655.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 0112191637_HDR.jpg
    0112191637_HDR.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190112_145058.jpg
    20190112_145058.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 8

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If I had any money, I sure would.

Beenslayin

My wife and I will be celebrating our 35th anniversary this year. We are going to Australia at the end of the month, then cruising around New Zealand. I really don’t like traveling and would rather go to the mountains but this will be our trip of our lifetime. By the way, this is all her idea, I guess that is how I got to stay married. I started letting the hair grow out on my feet so I will fit in when we go to the shire.

zedex

Gator Bait
I kinda mix business with pleasure. Until the past couple years, I made a lot of cross country trips. While a few were fly out and back, most were drives. Each trip was a different route.

we have been to every continental state except the far northeast {but I did work and travel around new york} . We've seen the grizzlies in Yellowstone, mt Rushmore, mount st Helen, been through the badlands, Indianapolis speedway, always stop off at the Iowa80, Charlotte speedway, Walked around Salt Lake City and the Mormon properties, Vegas, Pikes Peak for the hill climb, Albuquerque for the hot air balloons, Cadillac ranch, memorial at Oklahoma City, Deals gap, .... Ive forgotten so many places.

I passed on a trip to the Philippines last year. Passed on returning to Taipei this year, but I am sending my daughter there for 3 weeks and a week in Tokyo. Ill drive over to Chicago while she is gone and later, she and I will head to Georgia then North Carolina for a couple weeks.

I like to travel at times, not as much as I used to. 10 years ago, I would bounce all over the planet. Im older and slower but want my daughter to experience traveling as much as possible. At almost 13, shes been to many countries already but has one place in mind... to call Georgia her permanent home

ringorock

My wife and I will be celebrating our 35th anniversary this year. We are going to Australia at the end of the month, then cruising around New Zealand. I really don’t like traveling and would rather go to the mountains but this will be our trip of our lifetime. By the way, this is all her idea, I guess that is how I got to stay married. I started letting the hair grow out on my feet so I will fit in when we go to the shire.

New Zealand is breathtaking. Australia is amazing too. Going to Sydney?

glynr329

Most of my travel is out of country and really enjoy it. Cancun in May. Was going to San Andrés but her birthday so she decides.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Don’t fool yourself by saying “we are gonna wait until we retire “
You may not have the health or desire like when you are younger. Go see what you want to now!!!

Dialer

We have a 32 foot RV that we use for local camping around North Georgia. Our favorite spots are R Shaefer Heard campground, and Duckett Mill on Lanier. This is somewhat of a major encounter to load up, set up, take down and unpack, so we only take it for a minimum of 3 days. We can fly any airline for free or minimum tax charges, but Red don’t fly well unless necessary. I do a lot of local exploring and traveling on my 2016 Triumph motorcycle, and really enjoy the small towns and just getting lost. Enjoy the 3-4 day “Me Time” that I get where I load the bike with tent and fish8ng rods, and go wherever I want. Here’s some pics

Attachments

• 94C2822D-7482-4504-B871-9F8DA1325360.jpeg
    94C2822D-7482-4504-B871-9F8DA1325360.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 6FB68DD5-8EAB-4F40-B2B4-8FFEE044C6C9.jpeg
    6FB68DD5-8EAB-4F40-B2B4-8FFEE044C6C9.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 15D390EA-CCB5-463E-B022-DAACE5AB0CFD.jpeg
    15D390EA-CCB5-463E-B022-DAACE5AB0CFD.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 26481D59-13F9-4B5F-9463-D5364A7F7DD4.jpeg
    26481D59-13F9-4B5F-9463-D5364A7F7DD4.jpeg
    416.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 094CBAF2-AFBE-4109-8317-007B37ED36BB.jpeg
    094CBAF2-AFBE-4109-8317-007B37ED36BB.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 6
  • C94D3233-26D8-45B1-8398-6F865C6EA6DE.jpeg
    C94D3233-26D8-45B1-8398-6F865C6EA6DE.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 6

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
We have a 32 foot RV that we use for local camping around North Georgia. Our favorite spots are R Shaefer Heard campground, and Duckett Mill on Lanier. This is somewhat of a major encounter to load up, set up, take down and unpack, so we only take it for a minimum of 3 days. We can fly any airline for free or minimum tax charges, but Red don’t fly well unless necessary. I do a lot of local exploring and traveling on my 2016 Triumph motorcycle, and really enjoy the small towns and just getting lost. Enjoy the 3-4 day “Me Time” that I get where I load the bike with tent and fish8ng rods, and go wherever I want. Here’s some pics

Dialer, where is that waterfall ? That is a big drop.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Don’t fool yourself by saying “we are gonna wait until we retire “
You may not have the health or desire like when you are younger. Go see what you want to now!!!

Wisdom right here! I still travel quite a bit fir work. It takes more of a toll as I’ve aged.