Anyone want some hogs??

Gadget

We have some hogs that we need to get rid of. This is a working farm and hogs are not wanted on the property. Crawford county. Looking for someone to trap. No dog hunting. Send me a pm for details. We have one trap getting setup this weekend.

Last edited:

Gadget

Getting a few pm so want to clarify a few things.

This land is leased for hunting, I'm the lease holder and run a hunting club. We do hunt some of the hogs but don't kill enough for management purposes so need to trap. We will try to trap some ourselves with a catch pen trap, we don't want the hogs so would rather they go to someone who could use some pork.

Gadget

We got four 100 pounders in the trap last night. Not bad for our first ever attempt at trapping hogs. We were able to gift all four to guys working on the farm. Hopefully we can continue to find people to take them all. We already kept some for us that were killed hunting.

Gadget

Trap will be set again this weekend send me a pm and I'll get you number

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good deal , even though most people see them as pest they sure are good eating

Jester896

Senior Clown
no...I'm suggesting that if the offer was made to shoot the hogs, his phone would be ringing off the hook...

He asked for someone to trap the hogs. If I "hunted for food" and didn't have a trap I can't help.

I'm suggesting that if the offer was made to shoot the hogs, his phone would be ringing off the hook... that statement seems a far cry from the seemingly disparaging remarks about people that say "we hunt for food"

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
It’s a nice gesture to offer. No reason to make a smart remark.
I asked to hunt them and he was looking for a trap to catch many.

Nothing wrong with his offer or mine just wasn’t a match for his needs or mine. At least he offered a place with free hogs. Someone local will jump at the opportunity. Some will want to charge him to trap.
Always something.facepalm:
Offer free place to hunt hogs and you’ll soon have no hogs...

Jester896

Senior Clown
It his Circus and his Monkey...he can offer it anyway he sees fit. It is a very nice offer for someone close with a trap.

Trapping requires that the traps be checked everyday. If the trapper is 30 minutes away it will take 1 hour and 2+ gallons of fuel every day...provided they get 30 miles to the gallon. If you find a trapper with one of the large corral traps with a cell phone trigger that person has a lot invested..I can easily see why there may be some charges associated with either of those.

You can just about bet that all of the Hunting Club members live more that 30 minutes away and it is a burden for them to do this every day and don't want to incur the expenses themselves.

Gadget

Someone is there almost every weekend so the trap will be set on the weekends. We built a large coral trap which can hold a dozen hogs or more. We will continue to hunt them year round but not enough are killed hunting to manage the population.

Here are the ones trapped last weekend

Attachments

• IMG_7933.JPG
    IMG_7933.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 196

Big7

The Oracle
The post' above are a little tricky, for me at least.

So, my question is:
Is the OP just looking for trappers or is a shooter welcome? I don't have a trap but I can wack them pretty good. Especially at night. If the OP is interested, please PM me. I have a bud that might want to go, depending on his work schedule. I'm retired. I can stay a month as long as I'm killing hogs.

saltysenior

He asked for someone to trap the hogs. If I "hunted for food" and didn't have a trap I can't help.

I'm suggesting that if the offer was made to shoot the hogs, his phone would be ringing off the hook... that statement seems a far cry from the seemingly disparaging remarks about people that say "we hunt for food"

my mistake....I miss read and thought he already had the hogs trapped but he received no responses..

Jester896

Senior Clown
it would be nice if he found someone to use his trap during the week when they aren't there to shoot the hogs in the trap...if it was a few panels bigger and had a remote trigger door...I'd bet he could catch a large group at one time if they weren't already educated...I can look at the ones in there and tell they are stoopid :)

across the river

It’s a nice gesture to offer. No reason to make a smart remark.
I asked to hunt them and he was looking for a trap to catch many.

Nothing wrong with his offer or mine just wasn’t a match for his needs or mine. At least he offered a place with free hogs. Someone local will jump at the opportunity. Some will want to charge him to trap.
Always something.facepalm:
Offer free place to hunt hogs and you’ll soon have no hogs...

This is not true at all. If you have a bunch of hogs you aren't going to shoot them all. If you allow someone to come hunt them, that person isn't going to hunt them enough or shoot enough to make dent in the population. They are going to shoot a couple or few until they get their fill and then loose interest and not come back. You could of course offer offer multiple people the option to hunt them, but then would you have a bunch of different people all over your place that you don't know running around. They tell a buddy about it or invite them without permission and you have a real mess. After all that you still have pigs. Trapping them is the only reasonable option, which it appears he was smart enough to figure out on his on.

Jester896

Senior Clown
if I have a key to your gate you can rest assured that anybody I brought wouldn't come back without me. Sadly, I have more places to shoot hogs than I have time to go.

small traps like that aren't going to do much quickly to stop a problem. My buddy told me just Monday that their count on his farm with the large trap and cellphone trigger has caught/killed 198 this year. That is 50 more already this year over his previous whole years best with trapping in small traps, shooting in daylight, and shooting after dark. When you start catching 40 or more at the time...it won't take but a minute to knock a dent in it

Gadget

Thanks guys.

Update. We didn't catch any last weekend, they've been coming in the trap but not triggering the door. We're gonna try to change the trigger and reset this weekend.