anyone want to teach me

hogdgz

Anyone want to teach a complete newbie in reloading 10mm. I have been saving my brass and thinking of getting the basic stuff to start reloading

Nimrod71

What do you need to know? I have been reloading since 1970 and have helped many to learn how to reload. Have you purchased a reloading manual yet. Reading a reloading manual is the first thing to start with.

hogdgz

What do you need to know? I have been reloading since 1970 and have helped many to learn how to reload. Have you purchased a reloading manual yet. Reading a reloading manual is the first thing to start with.
I have not purchased a manual yet but plan too very soon. Do you have a recommendation on the best manual for beginners.

JMN1976

this one here offers alot of good input and easy to follow
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1064661989

if you have a rimmed cartridge such as 38special, 357mag, or 44mag to start with it might be a little easier cartridge to learn with as it would be a little less forgiving on your setup and control as a first time loader.
Start low and work up in powder charge. For the 10mm Hornady probably offers the better info on the market and bullets are reasonable priced. Lots of ways to skin the cat as you get into reloading

hogdgz

this one here offers alot of good input and easy to follow
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1064661989

if you have a rimmed cartridge such as 38special, 357mag, or 44mag to start with it might be a little easier cartridge to learn with as it would be a little less forgiving on your setup and control as a first time loader.
Start low and work up in powder charge. For the 10mm Hornady probably offers the better info on the market and bullets are reasonable priced. Lots of ways to skin the cat as you get into reloading
Thanks for the advice guys. I plan on ordering me a manual soon

Steven037

I’ve reloaded lots of rifle and rimmed pistol cartridges. Just loaded my first 10mm tonight. I concur on reading manuals. Start slow and work your way up. I prepped a ton of brass but only loaded 20 to test for function in my gun at a mid charge. No need for a max charge to start with.

frankwright

I have loaded a ton of 10mm and can help in any way you need.
They are simple to reload, I like to use 180gr Hornady XTP's for everything but plinking. For plinking I use Hornady 180 HAP which is just a cheaper version of the XTP.
I bought Starline brass to get started and even though there are many good powders out there I have stuck with Longshot and load them to about 1200 fps. Warm like a 10mm should be but not pushing anything!

pdsniper

Western Powder has a new powder out made just for 10 mm and it makes it do things I have not found any other powder to do crazy Velocity's and fantastic accuracy, Im a big fan of 10mm I have 3 of them two Glocks and a STI

hogdgz

I have loaded a ton of 10mm and can help in any way you need.
They are simple to reload, I like to use 180gr Hornady XTP's for everything but plinking. For plinking I use Hornady 180 HAP which is just a cheaper version of the XTP.
I bought Starline brass to get started and even though there are many good powders out there I have stuck with Longshot and load them to about 1200 fps. Warm like a 10mm should be but not pushing anything!

Thanks, I have great luck with the STP’s as far as accuracy is concerned and of course I use the underwood 180xtp. Out of curiosity what do you think your cost is per round loaded with xtp and star line brass? And I may take you up on the offer as I have never reloaded and totally new. I would like to get a basic setup just for 10mm for the time being. Of course as other have said need to get the manual first and start reading every Igor while I am on my porcelain throne.

rosewood

I have never bought 10mm brass, always use used brass.
180 XTPs are currently .27 per.
primer if you had them .03-.04 but now they are .10 if you can find primers
Longshot powder is roughly $26 per lb which is .0037 per grain X 9 grains puts that at approx .033 per shot.

So that puts you at .27+.10+.033 ~ .40 per shot.

FYI, 1 lb of powder is 7000 grains.

CFE pistol, Blue Dot, BE-86 all work good in 10mm. My current target load uses CFE Pistol. And I found CFE pistol and BE-86 both provide top velocity in 155 grain pills. Longshot does best in the heavier pills.

As you can see, the most expensive part is the bullet and of course if you buy new brass, you cost just went up significantly.

Rosewood

rosewood

One thing to keep in mind, if you have a fully supported chamber, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but an unsupported chamber with used brass can have blow outs near the webbing when using top loads.

Rosewood

frankwright

My 10mm brass has always looked good out of my Glock.
I usually reload it up to six times. I have never had any problem with it but don't want to take a chance on a hunting load.
I don't shoot a lot of 10mm, I shot 30 at the range the other day just practicing shooting from a shooting stick standing and other rest I may use in the woods. So 100 pieces of brass will last a long time as long as you can find the spent ones.
A single stage press will be just fine for loading he 10mm. I used one for all my ammo for years and still do for almost all my rifle rounds.
I am partial to RCBS but there are other good ones and they are fairly easy to find used!