Apalachicola National Forest Quail

Tbpilot11

Good morning, I’m Tyler.

I just moved to Tallahassee and I have two GSP Bird Dogs who love to hunt. I bought all my licenses and wanted to try out hunting the Appalachicola National Forest. I live over by the airport, I was wondering if anyone could give me a few places to start to maybe put us on a few coveys.
Thanks,
Tyler

Attachments

• F55971EA-E0DE-4061-A5C4-D4DD9D86F67C.jpeg
    F55971EA-E0DE-4061-A5C4-D4DD9D86F67C.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 24

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Beautiful brace of dogs. Never hunted that far south. Need to go somewhere cause I’m not having any luck in middle Georgia.

Tbpilot11

Beautiful brace of dogs. Never hunted that far south. Need to go somewhere cause I’m not having any luck in middle Georgia.

I moved here a few months ago from the Troy, Alabama area. From what I’ve researched and saw on GON, there seem to be some quail in this area. I’m originally from Fayetteville, GA. Thank you for the comment on my bird dogs. They are German Short Haired pointers, 2 years old, brother and sister. Their names are Bonnie & Clyde. If you are ever down this way let’s get together and do some quail hunting.

Beagle Stace

Take a look at the Florida Wildlife Commission website. On there they have the quail emphasis areas and there is I believe 2 in area you mention and also over in the panhandle some state land. Best of luck down there.

trad bow

You should be able to find some great snipe hunting on the coast as well as woodcock in the wet areas of the national forest. My GSP finds quail when available as well as woodcock and snipe. This morning he saw ducks and thought I needed them retrieved and took off after them. He was surprised when they flew off and when he got back to the bank just stood there a minute or two watching other ducks swim off.

Tbpilot11

You should be able to find some great snipe hunting on the coast as well as woodcock in the wet areas of the national forest. My GSP finds quail when available as well as woodcock and snipe. This morning he saw ducks and thought I needed them retrieved and took off after them. He was surprised when they flew off and when he got back to the bank just stood there a minute or two watching other ducks swim off.

I have never hunted woodcock or snipe, I will have to do some research on them. That’s funny your pup thought he needed the ducks retrieved lol He was in for a surprise when they swam off huh

trad bow

He’s had training for upland and waterfowl. He’ll also tree the fool out of squirrels. But he truly loves to retrieve.

NCMTNHunter

I know this doesn't help directly but my family and I camp at Topsail Hill State Park about every summer. That place has a fair amount of pine / palmetto forest that they burn regularly. We have been hearing a bunch of quail whistling out in the burns the last few years. Even though you can't hunt there it might give you an idea of the kind of forest / management to look for.

Eroc33

Let us know how you do, I know there are some quail emphasis areas that Beagle Stace mentioned mentioned that you can only hunt on certain days, and a lot of the forest is supposed to be quail habitat. I wanted to go down there last year, and if I don't go west this year I am going to try to make it down there to hunt. I'm from Fayetteville also.

Tbpilot11

Let us know how you do, I know there are some quail emphasis areas that Beagle Stace mentioned mentioned that you can only hunt on certain days, and a lot of the forest is supposed to be quail habitat. I wanted to go down there last year, and if I don't go west this year I am going to try to make it down there to hunt. I'm from Fayetteville also.

I went over to the quail enhancement area in the Apalachicola National Forest today to check it out. It had some great looking pines and grass in there. I also heard and saw quite a few quail in there. Really nice set up they have in there, can’t wait to take my bird dogs in there. It doesn’t open up until January, but you can train bird dogs and retrievers in the area though. Let me know if your down this way and we can get together to go