April is Confederate History Month

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Day - 15 Confederate Heritage Month Minute

Robert E. Lee, a man whose military tactics have been studied world wide, was an American soldier, educator, Christian gentlemen, husband and father.
General Robert E. Lee said, "All the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth."

Let America not forget that General Robert E. Lee was born in Stratford, Westmoreland County, Virginia, on January 19, 1807. The winter was cold and fire places were little help for Lee's Mother, Ann Hill (Carter) Lee.

Ann Lee named her son "Robert Edward" after her two brothers. Lee was educated in the schools of Alexandria, Virginia. In 1825, he received an appointment to the United States Military Academy in New York. He graduated in 1829, second in his class and without a single demerit, a record that stands today.

Robert E. Lee wed Mary Anna Randolph Custis in June 1831. Robert and Mary had grown up together. Mary was the daughter of George Washington Parke Custis, the grandson of Martha Washington and adopted son of George Washington.

In 1852, Lee was appointed Superintendent of West Point.

President-to-be Abraham Lincoln offered command of the Union Army to Lee in 1861, but he refused. In A letter to his sister on April 20, 1861, Robert E. Lee said, "With all my devotion to the Union and the feeling of loyalty and duty as an American citizen, I have not been able to make up my mind to raise my hand against my relatives, my children, my home. I therefore have resigned my commission in the army and save in defense of my native state, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed.

After four terrible years of death and destruction, General Robert E. Lee met General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Courthouse in Virginia on April 9, 1865, that ended their battles.

In the fall of 1865, Lee was offered and accepted the president of troubled Washington College in Lexington, Virginia. He died there of a heart attack on October 12, 1870.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Day - 16 Confederate Heritage Month Minute

John Stith Pemberton, "The Inventor of Coca Cola".

John Stith Permberton, the inventor of Coca Cola, fought for the Confederacy during the War Between the States. Pemberton rose to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the 3rd Georgia Cavalry at the end of the war.
John Stith Permberton was born in Knoxville, Georgia in 1831. He attended public school in Rome, Georgia where his family resided for many years.

In 1850, he completed his medicine and pharmacy training from the Reform Medical College of Georgia in Macon at age 19. In 1853, he came to Columbus, Georgia and married local woman Eliza Clifford Lewis. The Pemberton's only child was Charles.

It is believed that Permberton's "French Wine of Cocoa" was the forerunner of what is now Coca Cola. It was originally dispensed as a head ache cure as well as serving as a "cure for whatever ails you."

Permberton's product, that would become Coca Cola was first sold in the Jaccob Pharmacy's of Atlanta. Doctor Pemberton died in Atlanta, Georgia on August 16, 1888, at the age of fifty seven and it was reported by the media of that time that all of Atlanta's pharmacys were closed for his funeral. He is buried in Columbus' historic Linwood Cemetery.

Hawk9807

Outstanding thread! Thanks for taking the time and effort put into it by all.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Day - 17 Confederate Heritage Month Minute

The Deportation of the Roswell Mills Workers.

On July 5, 1864, Union General Garrards's Cavalry reached Roswell, Georgia and finding it undefended, occupied the city. General Gerrard reported to General William T. Sherman on July 6, 1864...."there were fine factories here. I had the building burnt, all were burnt." The cotton factory was working up to the time of it's destruction, some 400 women being employed.

Former Associate Dean of Emory University, Webb Garrison wrote of the destruction of the Roswell Mills. He said, "incidents of this sort occurred repeatedly throughout the War Between the States. Had the usual attitudes prevailed, the destruction of the industrial complex would have ended the matter. That it did not was the temperament and inclination of one man (General William T. Sherman)."

What Sherman did next would shock the good people of the North and create a mystery that has endured to this day. On July 7, 1864, Sherman reported to his superiors in Washington, D.C....." I have ordered General Garrard to arrest for treason all owners and employees, foreign and native (of the Roswell Mills) and send them under guard to Marietta, whence I will send them North."

A Northern newspaper correspondent reported on the deportation, "only think of it.Four Hundred weeping and terrified Ellens, Susans, and Maggies transported in springless and seatless wagons away from their loves and brothers of the sunny South, and all for the offense of weaving tent cloth.

A marker today marks the spot in Roswell, Georgia, that was dedicated by the Roswell Mills Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, to the memory of the Roswell mill women.

These women might have been our Great Grandmothers and we should all remember during April--Confederate History Month.

The source of information on this Confederate History Month minute came from an article written by Webb Garrison.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Day - 18 Confederate Heritage Month Minute

Roz Bowie-A Black Woman pays tribute to unknown Confederate soldier.

Take me home to the place where I was born, on a early frosty morn, Sweet Dixie, Take me home.
These words are from a LP recording by Mrs. Roz Bowie, an African American women, who made a recording called, "Take Me Home (The Ballad of the Unkown Confederate soldier)." This song is included on Mrs. Bowie's album called "Dixie."

Mrs. Bowie is said to have been inspired to do the "Dixie" album by the spirit of events that took place at the Battle of Ox Hill, Virginia, on September 1, 1862, where a Confederate soldier was killed in the battle during a blinding rainstorm. 124 years later the remains were unearthed during a construction project near the present city of Chantily, Virginia. His remains were taken home and a memorial service was held in Columbia, South Carolina, on November 22, 1986. Mrs. Bowie, a Southern lady, wanted to be a part of this event.

Because of the momentous and solemn occasion that thousands came to pay their respects as they reburied this soldier, Roz Bowie sung the song "Take Me Home" as well as Dixie and Bonnie Blue Flag.

Al Medcalf

Milkman, what Camp do you belong to?

Gen. John B. Gordon Memorial Camp #1449 here

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Extra notation for today.... (not part of the series)

April 18, 1865 marks the date of the first meeting of Confederate General Joseph Johnston and Union General William T. Sherman at the Bennett Farm near Durham Station North Carolina. This meeting was for purposes of agreeing on surrender terms for the forces under Johnston's command.

Final terms suitable to both sides would be agreed upon 8 days later on April 26, 1865 at the same location.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Another additional post for today (not part of the continuing series)

1865 Fanny Andrews' journal entry for April 18, 1865 clearly shows the effects of the impending loss of the Civil War:

"The first train on the Georgia R.R., from Atlanta to Augusta, was scheduled to run through to-day, and we started off on the Macon & Western so as to reach Atlanta in time to take the next one down, to-morrow. There was such a crowd waiting at the depot that we could hardly push our way through, and when the ladies' car was opened there was such a rush that we considered ourselves lucky to get in at all. . . . Many people had to leave theirs [baggage] behind, and some decided to stay with their trunks; they contained all that some poor refugees had left them. The trains that went out this morning were supposed to be the last that would leave the city, as the Yankees were expected before night, and many predicted we would be captured. There was a terrible rush on all the outgoing trains. . . . People who could not get inside were hanging on wherever they could find a sticking place; the aisles and platform down to the last step were full of people clinging on like bees swarming around the doors of a hive. . . . A party of refugees from Columbus were seated near us, and they seemed nearly crazed with excitement. Mary Eliza Rutherford, who was always a great scatter-brain when I knew her at school, was among them, and she jumped up on the seat, tore down her back hair and went off into regular hysterics at the idea of falling into the hands of the Yankees. Such antics would have been natural enough in the beginning of the war, when we were new to these experiences, but now that we are all old soldiers, and used to raids and vicissitudes, people ought to know how to face them quietly . . . ."

Source: Eliza Frances Andrews, The War-Time Journal of a Georgia Girl, 1864-1865 (New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1908), pp. 149-151.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Day - 19 Confederate Heritage Month Minute

Jefferson Davis

Do you know what is considered by some people to be the largest monument to an American? I will give you the answer at the end of this "Confederate History Month Minute."

Jefferson Davis was born on June 3, 1808, in Christian County (now Todd) Kentucky.

Jefferson Davis, who would become the first and only President of the Confederate States of America, was a strong Unionist and also a strong defender of the United States Constitution. Our Founding Fathers believed in the sovereignty of the states and so did Jefferson Davis.
Here are a few of his many accomplishments:

Graduate of West Point Military Academy

Fought valiantly in the War with Mexico

United States Senator

Secretary of War under President Pierce

First to suggest the transcontinental railroad to link the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, first to suggest the Panama Canal Zone, suggested the purchase of Cuba, appointed Robert E. Lee Superintendent of West Point.
Jefferson Davis' last marriage was a wonderful one to Varina, who gave her husband two sons and two daughters (Jefferson, Margaret, Winnie and Billy). One child was killed by an accidental fall at the Confederate White House in Richmond, Virginia; in 1864, an abused black child named Jim Limber was adopted by the Davis'.

There are few people who have touched so many as did Jefferson Davis. His funeral services were attended by thousands of mourners. Milo Cooper, a former servant, traveled all the way from Florida to pay his last respects. It is written that, upon entering Davis' sick room, Cooper burst into tears and threw himself on his knees in prayer that God would spare the life of his old master and bless the Davis family. Davis was first buried in New Orleans but later was removed to the Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, Virginia.

The answer to the question "What is the largest monument to an American?"

is: the Jefferson Davis Highway, which begins in Washington, D.C., and covers 3,417 miles as it passes through 173 counties and 13 states. The success of the Davis National Highway is also attributable to the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Sadly, Hurricane Katrina did much damage to "Beauvoir" in Mississippi--the last home of Jefferson Davis. Please help restore this part of our American history---http://www.Beauvoir.org

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Day - 20 Confederate Heritage Month Minute

Arlington National Cemetery.

This story is about the Heroes of "Dixie" who are Commemorated during Confederate History and Heritage Month in April; proclamations are to be signed by Governors, Mayors and County Commissioners in their remembrance and honor.
The world famous Arlington National Cemetery is located in the shadow of the Curtis-Lee Mansion (Arlington House) that was home to General Robert E. Lee and family until 1861 at the beginning of the War Between the States. This cemetery is on the Virginia side of the Potomac River; Washington, D.C. is across the river.

Around the turn of the century 1900, this country also honored the men who fought for the Confederacy. This site of men who fought for

"Dixie" is located in section 16. There is an inscription on the 32.5 foot high Confederate monument at Arlington National Cemetery that reads,

"An Obedience To Duty As They Understood it; These Men Suffered All; Sacrificed All and Died!"

Some claim this Confederate Monument at Arlington may have been the first to honor Black Confederates. Carved on this monument is the depiction of a Black Confederate who is marching in step with the White soldiers. Also shown is a White Confederate who gives his child to a Black Woman for safe keeping.

In 1906, the United Daughters of the Confederacy asked permission from William Howard Taft to erect a monument. Taft was at the time serving as the United States Secretary of War and was in charge of National Cemeteries. With his permission, the Arlington Confederate Memorial Association was formed and the UDC were given authority to oversee work on the monument.

An agreement and contract was made with Sir Moses Ezekiel--a Jewish Confederate Veteran--the record of his service at the Battle of New Market while he was a Cadet at Virginia Military Institute. Work started at his workshop in Italy in 1910, and upon his death in 1917, the Great Sculptor was brought back home and buried near the base of the Arlington Confederate Monument. Sir Moses Ezekiel was honored in his life by being Knighted by the German and Italian Governments.

On June 4, 1914, the Arlington monument was unveiled to a crowd of thousands that included former Confederate and Union soldiers.

The Memorial Event was presided over by President Woodrow Wilson and the people applauded the stirring speeches given by: General Bennett H. Young, Commander In Chief of the United Confederate Veterans; General Washington Gardner, Commander In Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic and Colonel Robert E. Lee, grandson of General Lee.

The Confederate monument unveiling was concluded by a 21 gun salute and the Arlington monument was officially given to the United Daughters of the Confederacy and was given back to the U.S. War Department for keeping and accepted by President Woodrow Wilson who said: "I am not so happy as PROUD to participate in this capacity on such an occasion, Proud that I represent such a people."

Since Woodrow Wilson, wreaths have been sent to both sections of Arlington, including the Confederate section, to honor those who died for freedom. Some Presidents have also spoken at Arlington on Confederate Memorial Day.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
That concludes the series from Calvin Johnson. I hope you all enjoyed it. I will try to inject some other items of interest for the remainder of the month.

Some notes on John Bell Hood. General Hood was the officer given command of the defense of Atlanta as the Union forces were closing in during the summer of 1864. Many blame him for the fall of Atlanta, others feel he inherited a sinking ship.

John Bell Hood

Born:June 29, 1831, Owingsville, Kentucky
Died:August 30, 1879, New Orleans
Born the son of a doctor in rural Kentucky, John Bell Hood learned the importance of political influence at the very start of his military career. His uncle, Richard French, was serving in the U. S. House of Representatives, and it was through him that young John secured a nomination to West Point. Adroitly working the intricate mesh of military and politics was a trait Hood would use time and again to advance his career.

His demerit record at West Point includes reprimands for appearance, inappropriate behavior, and disobedience. In spite of a poor academic record and a rebellious attitude Hood was well-liked by his superior officers. Colonel Robert E. Lee, newly appointed Superintendent of the Academy, made Hood a lieutenant of cadets, charged with enforcing stricter discipline. It was a move Lee would regret. Two months later Lee stripped Hood of this duty when he was "absent without authority."

Virginian George Thomas taught Hood about artillery and cavalry tactics while at the Army academy. During the Civil War Thomas, who remained with the North, would repeatedly come up against his former student in battle.

From his graduation until he joined the Confederate Army, Hood's most notable service was in Texas, where he met up again with Robert E. Lee. During this period Hood would occasionally ride with Lee in the Texas countryside. He also battled the Commanches that were raiding the Texas frontier.

Four days after the Rebel attack at Fort Sumter (April 12, 1861) John Bell Hood resigned his commission in the U. S. Army. Joining the newly formed Confederate Army he was quickly promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. Serving in the Army of Northern Virginia, over the next two years he established himself as a brilliant tactical commander who was beloved by his men and would be promoted to general. He saw action at Seven Days, Second Manasas, Sharpsburg, Fredricksburg, and Gettysburg, where he lost the use of an arm.

Stationed in Chattanooga and surrounded on three sides by Union forces, Braxton Bragg sent an urgent appeal to Richmond for additional troops early in September, 1863. As a result Hood's commander, Georgian James Longstreet, was re-assigned to the Army of Tennessee. Longstreet and Hood journeyed by train to northwest Georgia where they turned the tide in favor of the Confederacy during the battle of Chickamauga. Hood led the breakthrough at the Brotherton Cabin on September 20, 1863, advancing with his men across the open field west of the cabin, routing Federal Commander William Rosecrans and most of the Union Army. Only his former teacher, George Thomas, would stop the advance of Hood's troops.

During the fighting Hood was shot in the leg. Moved to a nearby field hospital, his leg was amputated. So badly wounded was the general that his leg accompanied him on a short journey to the Clisby-Austin house in Tunnel Hill so that they could be buried together. Erroneous reports reached the Confederate capital that "the Gallant Hood" had died. He moved to Richmond not only to recover from his wounds but also to convince his superior officers and President Jefferson Davis that he deserved a Corps Commander position, which he received.

Joseph Eggleston Johnston was to be Hood's next commanding officer. Now defending the state of Georgia against the invading Union Army, Hood became a key player in the Atlanta Campaign. Johnston's tactic of developing a strong position then defending that position did not appeal to the impetuous Hood. He wanted to fight. As Johnston withdrew from Dalton, Resaca, and the Dallas Line, Hood used his political allies to manipulate President Davis into believing that Johnston was losing where he (Hood) could have won.

As the Union forces moved south from Dalton, General Hood requested that fellow corps commander Bishop Polk baptize him. The Bishop was always happy to perform such a ceremony.

Stationed at the southern end of the "Kennesaw Line" with the Union Army about to outflank him, Hood attacked without orders. This attack at Kolb's Farm stopped the Federals cold and forced them to abandon hope of outflanking the Confederates, however, the cost in human life was extremely high. Five days later they would try to breach the Confederate line at Kennesaw Mountain.

As Johnston withdrew the Kennesaw Line, the Smyrna Line and the Chattahoochee Line became history. With the Army of Tennessee surrounded and outnumbered 2 to 1, President Davis ordered Hood to take command on July 17, 1864 (more). Robert E. Lee advised the President "Hood is a bold fighter. I am doubtful as to the other qualities necessary." Union General Jacob Cox said, "...the change of Confederate commanders was learned with satisfaction by every officer and man in the National Army."

Over the next six months Hood proved that a good tactical commander may not be a strategic thinker. He lost the battles of Peachtree Creek, East Atlanta, Ezra Church, Jonesboro, Allatoona Pass, Franklin and Nashville before resigning his commission. Franklin and Nashville were the final, devastating battles in the Western Theater of Operation. It was Hood's old teacher, George Thomas, who ended his career as commander by soundly defeating his former student.

Rather than accepting responsibility for his decisions while commander of the Army of Tennessee, he tried to pass blame to his former commander, his subordinates, even the enlisted men. Additionally, reports to his commanding officers are generally regarded as full of intentional errors and omissions, frequently overstating the number of enemy troops engaged while underreporting his own troop strength and losses.

After the war his actions were attacked by a number of people, most notably Joe Johnston, his commanding officer at the start of the Atlanta Campaign. Hood's book, Attack and Retreat, is essentially a defense of his actions. Both Union and Confederate officers were quick to point out that the figures Hood used in the book just didn't add up. He died from Yellow Fever in New Orleans in 1879 after several unsuccessful attempts at business.

Today General John Bell Hood is memorialized throughout the nation, with Fort Hood, Texas the best known. However, John Dyer in his biography "The Gallant Hood" himself notes,

"He was essentially a man of emotion rather than of intellect. He was never a reasoning and analytical man who carefully weighed all possible factors in a given problem or situation. Rather he was much inclined to be impetuous in his decisions, trust in his intuition and his blind optimism to see him through."
General William Hardee, the highly respected corps commander on whom Hood tried to blame for the losses of The Battle of Atlanta and Jonesborough, stated in his official report on April 5, 1865,

It is well known that I felt unwilling to serve under General Hood upon his succession to the command of the Army of Tennessee, because I believed him, though a tried and gallant officer, to be unequal in both experience and natural ability to so important a command...

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
James M. Calhoun (February 12, 1811 – October 1, 1875) was mayor of Atlanta, Georgia during the Civil War.

Calhoun was born in South Carolina (his father was a cousin of John C. Calhoun) and his parents died when he was 18. He moved to Decatur, Georgia, to live with his older brother Ezkiel N. Calhoun who was a lawyer. He began studying law in 1831 and passed the bar February 22, 1832. Politically, Calhoun was a Whig in a largely Democratic district but was elected to the Georgia General Assembly in 1837 from DeKalb County, the State Senate in 1851 and the next year moved to Atlanta, where ten years later he served four one-year terms as its mayor.

In 1863, he commissioned a volunteer militia to defend Atlanta. When Union troops under the command of William T. Sherman drew near during the Atlanta campaign, much of the population of Atlanta, including Calhoun's wife and children, fled the city, reducing the population of Atlanta from around 22,000 to less than 3,000 when the Confederate Army of Tennessee retreated from the city on September 1, 1864.

Calhoun surrendered the city on September 2, 1864, writing, "Sir: The fortune of war has placed Atlanta in your hands. As mayor of the city I ask protection of non-combatants and private property." A marker now stands at the corner of Peachtree Street and Alabama Street indicating where the surrender took place. Sherman ordered the evacuation of the remaining civilian population of Atlanta on September 7, 1864.
Calhoun and the city council protested this order, claiming that most of those who had not fled could not leave on account of their age, sickness, pregnancy, or destitution. In response, Sherman wrote "War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. . . We don't want your Negroes, or your horses, or your lands, or any thing you have, but we do want and will have a just obedience to the laws of the United States. That we will have, and if it involved the destruction of your improvements, we cannot help it." Sherman's troops occupied the city for two months and burned much of it on November 15, 1864, in preparation for the March to the Sea.

Calhoun is buried in Oakland Cemetery. His son, William Lowndes Calhoun, served as Atlanta's mayor in the 1870s.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
John Brown Gordon, Soldier - Senator- Governor

General John B. Gordon was valued by General Robert E. Lee to be one of the most loyal, aggressive and tenacious of those under his command.

His memory is honored by a statue located on the northwest corner of the Georgia State Capitol Square, Atlanta, Ga.

Text on the statue is as follows.

John Brown Gordon, son of the Rev. Zachariah Herndon Gordon and Mrs. Malinda Cox Gordon, was born in Upson County Feb. 6, 1832. He attended a rural school in Walker County, Pleasant Green Academy in LaFayette, and the University of Georgia. He left the University in his senior year to study law under the noted Logan E. Bleckly, but soon gave up the practice of law to join his father in coal mine operations in Northwest Georgia.

At the beginning of the War Between the States, John B. Gordon organized a company of mountaineers who wore coonskin caps and called themselves "The Raccoon Roughs." When his company was merged with the 6th Alabama Infantry Regiment of the Confederate Army, Captain Gordon was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel of the regiment. Early in 1862 he became a Colonel and later that year had fought up to the rank of Brigadier General. On May 14, 1864, he was promoted to Major General and had been recommended for the rank of Lieutenant General when the war ended, at which time he was in command of half of The Army of Northern Virginia.

Douglas Southall Freeman, in "Lee's Lieutenants," wrote: "If the final order of march had been arranged to honor those who had fought hardest and with highest distinction during the last days of the war. Gordon rightly would have been put first." In 1873, General Gordon was elected to the United States Senate. He was re-elected in 1878, but resigned in 1880 to develop mining and railroad interests. In 1886 he was elected Governor of Georgia and re-elected in 1888. At the end of his second term he was sent to the United States Senate for the third time, serving from 1891 to 1897. He died on January 9, 1904, while visiting his son, Hugh Haralson Gordon, in Miami.

http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/gahistplaques/johnbgordonlarge.htm

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Battle above the Clouds.

Lookout Mountain rises over the Tennessee Valley like a monolith, its steep sides protruding to the sky. The mountain, more than 1200 feet above the valley floor beneath it is surrounded on three sides by a near vertical rock wall that has afforded protection to the occupants of the top for hundreds of years.

The mountain is known for a unique weather phenomenon. Sometimes, after a clear dawn, a layer of fog descends toward the valley below, stopping about halfway down the peak. This inverted fog has been written about since the first whites visited the area sometime before 1735. It was on a fateful day, November 24, 1863, that this weather anomaly set in, creating the most poetic name for any battle in the American Civil War, The Battle Above the Clouds.

Moving 12,000 men west of Chattanooga, Union General "Fighting Joe" Hooker turns south, crosses Lookout Mountain Creek and encounters some 1200 Rebels entrenched in the side of Lookout Mountain, under the command of Carter Stevenson. Ordered to "fall back fighting" the Rebels withdraw towards the northern face of Lookout Mountain under the cover of artillery positioned at the peak of the mountain. The only heavy fighting takes place at Cravens House, a rocky respid from the sheer north slope of the mountain. Three brigades of Rebels successfully form a line against three Federal divisions and actually launch a counterattack.

General Braxton Bragg orders Stevenson to withdraw and join him on Missionary Ridge for the battle to come in the morning. General Hooker's forces take the mountain with 629 causalities and only 81 deaths.

Ulysses S. Grant would later write "The Battle of Lookout Mountain is one of the romances of the war. There was no such battle and no action even worthy to be called a battle on Lookout Mountain. It is all poetry."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note.... Point Park on the summit of Lookout Mountain is a very beautiful, and awe inspiring place. It isnt as commercial as the other attractions on Lookout Mountain. There are cannons, monuments, a small museum, a very scenic overlook. Its a good place to visit to enjoy Civil War History or just a neat way to spend a day.

these links have lots of pictures of the park area.

http://www.takemytrip.com/06appalachian/06_26a.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Location...tlefields-Chattanooga_Tennessee.html#19526352

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Some Ga activity during 1864. The Battles for Atlanta, Stoneman's Raid,
The infamous double barrel cannon was used during the Battle of Barber Creek near Athens. This cannon is on permanent display on the grounds at Athens, Ga City Hall.

This link is to a website that gives some good historical information and beautiful pictures related to the events listed above.

http://athens64breastworksinc.giving.officelive.com/default.aspx

Attachments

• double barrel cannon.jpg
    double barrel cannon.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 362

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
E.H. Sutton wrote a short book in 1907 titled "Grandpas War Stories" The following information is from that book. I took special interest in this book since Mr. Sutton served in the same regiment as my G. Grandfather.

An interesting story of survival in a Yankee prison camp.

E.H. Sutton was like many young men in the South in 1861, eager to serve and stop the Yankee invasion of his homeland. When Ga Governer Joe Brown asked for men to volunteer for 6 months service to the state he and several others from his Habersham Co. Ga community quickly joined up. After the enlistment was over Sutton ended up joining what was to become the 24th Ga Infantry Regiment. This Ga regiment was assigned to the Army of Northern Virginia and saw much action and was involved in dozens of battles.

One of the many battles the 24th Ga and Sutton were in was Gettysburg. During the 2nd day of the battle Sutton was captured by the Union forces and ended up in Point Lookout Maryland prison camp with 10,000 other Confederate prisoners.

Sutton wrote of life and challenges they faced there in his book. One item of particular interest was how he managed to get double rations and thus remain healthier than many of his compatriots. The guards accomplished issuing rations by calling up companys and serving to each man individually. Sutton decided to watch and wait for a new group of prisoners to enter, He had his bedroll, etc on him to make him appear to be on of the new arrivals.
He signed in with this group as Joseph Walker, from the 16th Ga. The 16th and 24th had served together in many instances and Sutton was familiar with the group and details in case he was questioned. From that point onward he answered chow call as himself and as Joseph Walker, the man from the 16th Ga.
He shared some food with the fellows Walker was housed with for helping him keep his secret. After Sutton left, the fellows in that group kept Walkers identity alive and kept getting rations for him.

Sutton and some others taken prisoner at Gettysburg were exchanged and freed in Feb. 1865 and was allowed to go home on leave. He was in route back to NC and VA to get back into the war when the war ended.

Burl E.

Memorial Day Celebration

This is from one of the two Confederate Memorial Day events that I attended yesterday.

The first was at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Dahlonega. It was my home camp, Camp - 1860 The Blue Ridge Rifles. Mount Hope has 80+ Confederate Veterans buried there.

One is Colonel Wier Boyd.

Another is William P. Price, the founder of North Georgia College. This past year we did a grave site restoration project on his grave site. We approached the college with the idea and asked them for some help to fund the work. They replied "It is not common practice for N GA to keep up the grave sites of our alumni." Then we told them , "this is not your alumni, this is the founder of your college." ...Duh!... They came through with some funding.

When the project was completed we had a rededication ceremony with the Price family, local elected officials and N GA's rifle drill team, also called The Blue Ridge Rifles. One of the colleges VP's was suppose to have been there. It was rumored that the reason they didn't show was because we were displaying the Confederate Flag and they didn't want to offend anyone.

I also attended The Cumming Camps Event, but got there kind of late and the Ms. left the camera in the truck.
:banginghe

Today I am going to a service at Redwine Methodist Church in Gainesville. It is at 2:00. It is a put on by the UDC in Gaineseville and several SCV camps will be participating. I hope to post some pics of that later today, because it is quite the show..

Attachments

• DSC00390 (899 x 597).jpg
    DSC00390 (899 x 597).jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC00392 (899 x 631).jpg
    DSC00392 (899 x 631).jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 389
  • 2ndnat.gif
    2ndnat.gif
    26 KB · Views: 366
  • 3rdnat.gif
    3rdnat.gif