Ar-15 buffer tube

Gophfer

I have an upper that came out of a rifle with a long buffer. (I bought it during the Clinton ban period) I want to find a lower to put it on. Do I need to find a lower with a long buffer tube and spring or will it work with a carbine length?

transfixer

the upper will work on any lower you put it on...rifle or carbine

Jester,
off track question, do you have any experience with the A5 buffer tubes ? I've been considering getting one and putting it on my pistol lower in place of the carbine tube, its supposed to be 3/4 in longer, which with my SBa3 brace should fit me just perfect .

Jester896

Senior Clown
sorry...all my pistol length stuff has a stock on it :D

doesn't it have a few more positions than a standard Carbine tube? I block and epoxy my Carbines so they only go back where I want them or shorter.

transfixer

sorry...all my pistol length stuff has a stock on it :D

doesn't it have a few more positions than a standard Carbine tube? I block and epoxy my Carbines so they only go back where I want them or shorter.

I'm not sure about more positions, I'm just after a little more length when I "occasionally" prop my sba3 brace against my shoulder,,, I'm assuming because the tube is 3/4in longer that it will translate into the locking holes being further back also ? I'm going to end up buying one just to see, maybe be the only way I find out, evidently they are not used by many people, as I haven't found anyone with one yet.

Jester896

Senior Clown
sent you a little bit that I found
the A5 tube is rifle length and has an extra position...7 instead of the normal 6

Last edited:

Tight Lines

I have an upper that came out of a rifle with a long buffer. (I bought it during the Clinton ban period) I want to find a lower to put it on. Do I need to find a lower with a long buffer tube and spring or will it work with a carbine length?

This was already answered, and I'll add a little more specifics and nuance...the buffer tube length generally matches the gas system length and is not dependent on the receiver in any way other than being attached.

When you build a weapon from the ground up, depending on your BCG, rounds etc. you may need to adjust the rifle to get it to cycle properly. Two easy ways to do that are with a buffer spring that has different weight springs, like the JP Rifles captured spring kit, and an adjustable gas block. Both highly recommended when building a rifle. If you have to choose 1, choose the adjustable gas block.