AR 15 Charging Handle

Adam5

I need a new charging handle for my .350 Legend AR15. I’m looking for something better than a basic milspec, but don’t want it spend $100 either. Strike industries? Breek Arms? Any suggestions?

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Reactions: Dub

Robert28

I picked up a Radian Raptor blem for my AR build I did last year for $59. Think they’re $67 now but I caught an early Black Friday sale. I’d buy another one, I have no complaints. I will say though, I have a BCM upper and bought one of their blem charging handles and i couldn’t get it to fit in the upper to save my life. That’s how I ended up with the radian raptor, went right in with no problem. Still haven’t figured out why the BCM one wouldn’t go in a BCM upper.

earlthegoat2

I like Strike on mine.

I like the one sided extended latch you can buy separate for the mil-spec CH as well.

transfixer

I've got an assortment of different brands, and have had others in the past, but my favorite is one of the Radian raptors , hard to beat their quality and function

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I am sold on the Radian has the best design, workmanship and material$$$$.

But, it depends on the rifle. For-example if you have a 30mm or like me a 32mm tube LPVO optic. Then in that case, i prefer (maybe even argue “need”) a wider ambi. The one i have found that gives me the best “clearance” for operation is the BCM BK2 large latch.IMG_7990.jpeg
partially pulled out

The downside on a large latch is it can get caught on stuff accidentally, so if ya don’t need it i would pass on large.”IMG_7991.jpeg
Forward position in second photo

Gator89

Google latchless charging handle.

I own more than one of these.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
Personally I am not fond of anything with a double latch. I can see where it could be useful for some. I use VLTOR (same as BCM Gunfighter I think) in most of mine because it blocks gasses from coming back and burning your eyes when running in quieter mode. Mil-Spec charging handles won't do that. I should also add that I change the latch on them too.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Personally I am not fond of anything with a double latch. I can see where it could be useful for some. I use VLTOR (same as BCM Gunfighter I think) in most of mine because it blocks gasses from coming back and burning your eyes when running in quieter mode. Mil-Spec charging handles won't do that. I should also add that I change the latch on them too.
There is another downside to a ambi-charging handle that should be considered. If you are Military, LEO or anyone who is issued a weapon, i would not shoot or train with a non milspec weapon. it can confuse your muscle memory in terms of your manual of arms. Maybe i am splitting hairs but if you are in the business of fighting with weapons then i would avoid any confusion.

Robert28

There is another downside to a ambi-charging handle that should be considered. If you are Military, LEO or anyone who is issued a weapon, i would not shoot or train with a non milspec weapon. it can confuse your muscle memory in terms of your manual of arms. Maybe i am splitting hairs but if you are in the business of fighting with weapons then i would avoid any confusion.
Very true

Jester896

Senior Clown
I would probably be able to work around the 2 sided one just using just one side, that the lock was on a whole lot easier than my eyes burning and unable to see to stay in what ever fight it was ;)

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I would probably be able to work around the 2 sided one just using just one side, that the lock was on a whole lot easier than my eyes burning and unable to see to stay in what ever fight it was ;)

I “see” your point… but,

Regardless of your charging handle type, if you have a catastrophic failure you are already most likely outa the fight.

Dub

Where's all this fightin?

Coming soon to our neighborhoods.

The cartel trafficked illegals will decide to kick us out of our homes and squat in them.

At least that is where the nightly news is headed. More local news stories involving illegals committing crimes than ever before.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Where's all this fightin?
the last fight...my buddy yelled an obscenity...brought God into it...and it was something about his gun jamming. He was yelling at me to hurry up and shoot the pigs running at us. After the first 3-4 rounds my eyes were burning and I had to move and shoot...took me outta it for a moment.