AR build opinions wanted

pacecars

PSA blems are usually great deals. The lower I posted with the .300 blackout was a blem and I could not find what made it a blem. They are cosmetic issues and nothing mechanical

GeorgiaGlockMan

He wants it for plinking mainly, but hunting with it is a possibility. Not a run of the mill ar but not a Daniel Defense either. He’s not a name brand snob, so just a decent ar that goes bang reliably and will last. And plenty of piccatiny rails for accessories is a must.
Aimsurplus.com for everything but the lower. Buy that locally.

transfixer

Surprised no one has mentioned Bear Creek Arsenal.

I used to really like BCA, they make extremely accurate barrels, their refusal to make a variety of barrel profiles has baffled me and caused me to now use other manufacturers , they virtually insist on making heavy barrel profiles for some reason, they occasionally do make M4 or Government profile barrels, but the majority of their offerings are heavy profile for some reason, even on shorter barrels

Their complete uppers are fine, if you don't mind heavy barrels on most calibers other than 5.56, I actually prefer them over PSA, mostly because they are more accurate than PSA as a rule. Nothing wrong with PSA , but they aren't known for 1in or better moa accuracy

bighonkinjeep

Just little food for thought from been there done that. AR builds go down in value the minute someone who is not a world reknowned AR smith assembles them. Virtually no one in the market place wants to buy someone elses "Frankengun" Factory units from well known manufacturers tend to hold their value or appreciate in value and can be legoed with aftermarket and then restored to original configuration with ease. At the $1K
mark I'd just buy a factory Colt and accessories because due to their military and law enforcement contract pedigree the Colt is considered the standard by which other ARs are judged. Itll always have the value of a Colt till the end of time. Or a budget friendly factory option Smokey Mtn G&A has the S&W M&P15 sport 2 with 5 extra hexags for $499 which provides a decent factory base platform and leaves a lot of room for aftermarket extras. I wouldnt think it would ever depreciate any more than its sale price. as home builds always do when compared to factory units. Since they are all like legos starting with a complete factory unit as a base is a smart move economically
Just some things to consider.
(Colt has a cult like following in the firearms community)

Last edited:

transfixer

Just little food for thought from been there done that. AR builds go down in value the minute someone who is not a world reknowned AR smith assembles them. Virtually no one in the market place wants to buy someone elses "Frankengun" Factory units from well known manufacturers tend to hold their value or appreciate in value and can be legoed with aftermarket and then restored to original configuration with ease. At the $1K
mark I'd just buy a factory Colt and accessories because due to their military and law enforcement contract pedigree the Colt is considered the standard by which other ARs are judged. Itll always have the value of a Colt till the end of time. Or a budget friendly factory option Smokey Mtn G&A has the S&W M&P15 sport 2 with 5 extra hexags for $499 which provides a decent factory base platform and leaves a lot of room for aftermarket extras. I wouldnt think it would ever depreciate any more than its sale price. as home builds always do when compared to factory units. Since they are all like legos starting with a complete factory unit as a base is a smart move economically

If you plan on selling it at some point and want what you paid or more for it ? then yes , buy a Colt, but other than an investment you're paying for the name, Colt does nothing any better than most other AR companies, and there are many that build more accurate, more precise AR's than Colt .

The aftermarket industry in firearms has passed Colt by in terms of quality of materials used, precision machine work, and innovations

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't buy guns as a financial investment. I buy them to shoot and use and keep. I think Colt is way overpriced for the quality. They are the John Deere of the gun world.

bighonkinjeep

I just put my opinion on
starting with Colts as a gift for a coming of age present because they have proven to be an heirloom quality item in terms of getting the job done and long term value. Not just in the short or medium run for personal use but the long and even the generational run as an inherited item.

Last edited:

sleepr71

I don't buy guns as a financial investment. I buy them to shoot and use and keep. I think Colt is way overpriced for the quality. They are the John Deere of the gun world.
Which is why they will always bring good money..just like a JD tractor..or Harley Davidson..or older Toyota 4x4 pickup.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Which is why they will always bring good money..just like a JD tractor..or Harley Davidson..or older Toyota 4x4 pickup.
Again, I don't buy guns to turn around and sell. If I buy a gun, it usually has a home for life.

transfixer

Yes, there will always be people that value brand names above something comparable or even something that excels in performance above the brand name item. a lot of times its nostalgia related, some brands used to be the gold standard, and no longer are, but people still consider them to be .

I've never been a brand name person, don't own a Yeti cooler, or Browning rifle, or Colt rifle, I have owned Brownings and Colts in the past, was never impressed enough to hold onto them, Toyota trucks are a perfect example of what used to be the gold standard for durability, newer Toyota trucks don't live up to that reputation. I've owned Harleys , and newer ones are not the same as those made in the late 90's early 2000's

transfixer

Again, I don't buy guns to turn around and sell. If I buy a gun, it usually has a home for life.

I buy a gun to use it , its a tool , I have some that I'll never part with, but I've bought many I thought I'd like only to find out I wasn't impressed and traded it off or sold it, they have to perform a purpose, fill a need and do it well in order for me to keep it, I have a Ruger m77 .243 like that, and a few others, just like I have a lot of Snap on tools, but i also have other brands of tools, such as Ryobi electrics, that do everything Snap on electrics do , and cost much less and wear out less often than the higher priced ones,

It all depends on what you value , appearances and names ? or ability and performance ?

pottydoc

As others have posted, I would go with:
Mid length gas system
.223 Wylde upper
Build the lower and buy the upper
PSA has some pretty good deals. Watch and wait for free shipping
Better trigger (JP 3.5 AR yellow springs)
PSA has some good deals on line right now for Back Friday. I’ve got two of them, one is a .223 Wylde, the other a 350 Legend

trial&error

Uppers require a special tool for the barrel nut and tapered pins on the gas block. So unless your after a particular barrel, buy it assembled if possible. Swapping handguards on the uppers are pretty easy, but buy what you desire there. PSA is selling assembled lowers for $149 last I checked. They often sell kits ready to assemble.

edit: $124 According to an email today

Last edited:

killerv

Joebobs is a great site to buy ar components, some of the best prices. They have aero mentioned above and of course tons of others.

At that price range, I'd get one ready to roll, maybe tinker with it if you just want to, a trigger upgrade if need be. Learn a little about ar platform and him build his 2nd one from scratch. A grand can buy a very nice AR.

It's hard to beat psa for a casual shooter, pick a lower and upper you want, upgrade the trigger.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think I saw an email from PSA this weekend about a mid-length upper in 5.56 NATO and an assembled lower for about $499 for both... but it wasn't paired they were separates.

transfixer

The AR market is flooded right now, according to what I've been told pawn shops are getting a good many in that people bought a couple years ago and decided they really didn't have a use for them ? I know the trader site is full of them, some at stupid prices,, some at decent to even good deal prices

earlthegoat2

Brownells had an Aero sale last week and a few coupon codes.

Decided I needed a lightweight 450 Bushmaster so I got one of their XL uppers, Atlas-S hand guard, and some other stuff to fill out a partial build.

A few days later they had a different coupon code so I got everything else but the barrel and gas stuff.

I’ll get the lower locally. They are practically falling off the shelves there are so many.

Could have bought bear creek but that’s way too boring and I wanted something featherlight. Looking forward to it.

sleepr71

I’ve never shot a “bad one”. Any of the low/mid grade AR’s seem to shoot 1.5 (or better) MOA,with avg. ammo. Good Ammo, A crisp,lighter weight trigger,and decent optic makes more difference in Accuracy..than the name stamp..in my experiences. With occasional cleaning & oiling..they are all pretty reliable. I’m sure the piston operated ones much more so..but at 2-3X the price. I’ve just never understood the $2000-3,000 AR15. Besides..if the stuff hits the fan..I’d rather have a commie gun(SKS/AK) ..in 7.62x39...:rockon: