Archery Hunts on WMA’s

Long Cut

You've got it backwards. Private property rights are granted by the constitution. If someone works hard, builds a business, saves money, invests, etc.... to aquire land that isn't a privilege. Paying a few bucks to have access to thousands of acres of land that is available because it is largely being subsidized by other people who don't hunt that property is a privilege. The guy hunting private not only paid for the "right" to hunt his own place, but has also contributed fees and tax money to give you the privilege to hunt the pubic land.

“Land is not cheap”
It takes time to save, earn and invest. A LOT of people fall into that middle tier where they want to buy land, but are not financially able to.

across the river

“Land is not cheap”
It takes time to save, earn and invest. A LOT of people fall into that middle tier where they want to buy land, but are not financially able to.

So what does that have to do with someone buying there own land being a privilege? Absolutely nothing. The privilege is presented to the guy who can't afford or doesn't want to buy his own place, but still has access to tons of land in the state to hunt. It may come with some hassles at times, or you may not agree with the season dates, but that is part of it. Just be thankful you have a place to hunt. I hunted public for many, many, years, and I still enjoy doing it on occasion which is why I don't get all of the complaining. That attitude is acting privileged. As far as people not being "financially able to buy land ", I don't buy that either. Hunting is a hobby, so if a person is that "poor", then they probably shouldn't be worrying about hunting anyway. Don't get me wrong, I understand that there are people out there with issues beyond there control that have put them in bad position financially, and I have all the compassion in the world for them. With that being said, there are far more people who simply choose to buy other stuff and then fuss about not having land. I have buddy now with hog dogs, a $40,000 truck, a boat, 4 wheeler, etc.... , that constantly complains about not having anywhere to hunt. Another buddy spends who knows how much jacking up his truck, selling it, then getting another to repeat the process, but then "didn't have the money" to pay his club dues, and whines about hunting public land. Cry me a river. No one owes you or me anything, especially a place to hunt. The fact that the state provides so much opportunity is indeed a privilege that many of us take for granted and then proceed to complain about.

Last edited:

Long Cut

So what does that have to do with someone buying there own land being a privilege? Absolutely nothing. The privilege is presented to the guy who can't afford or doesn't want to buy his own place, but still has access to tons of land in the state to hunt. It may come with some hassles at times, or you may not agree with the season dates, but that is part of it. Just be thankful you have a place to hunt. I hunted public for many, many, years, and I still enjoy doing it on occasion which is why I don't get all of the complaining. That attitude is acting privileged. As far as people not being "financially able to buy land ", I don't buy that either. Hunting is a hobby, so if a person is that "poor", then they probably shouldn't be worrying about hunting anyway. Don't get me wrong, I understand that there are people out there with issues beyond there control that have put them in bad position financially, and I have all the compassion in the world for them. With that being said, there are far more people who simply choose to buy other stuff and then fuss about not having land. I have buddy now with hog dogs, a $40,000 truck, a boat, 4 wheeler, etc.... , that constantly complains about not having anywhere to hunt. Another buddy spends who knows how much jacking up his truck, selling it, then getting another to repeat the process, but then "didn't have the money" to pay his club dues, and whines about hunting public land. Cry me a river. No one owes you or me anything, especially a place to hunt. The fact that the state provides so much opportunity is indeed a privilege that many of us take for granted and then proceed to complain about.

https://www.mdwfp.com/conservation/who-pays-for-it/north-american-model-of-wildlife-conservation/

The North American Model of Wildlife Conservation
During the first half of the 20th century, leaders like Theodore Roosevelt and Aldo Leopold helped shape a set of ideals that came to be known as the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. The foundation of this philosophy is that all wildlife belong to all of us and that every citizen is entitled to the opportunity to hunt and fish. These leaders understood very early that ethical, regulated hunting is indeed the driving force that maintains abundant wildlife, both in Mississippi and throughout North America.

https://extension.missouri.edu/publications/g404

Using information from the historical series, calculate the percentage change in average historical value between the two years in question. For example, Table 2 indicates that an average acre of Missouri farm real estate was worth $1,230 in 2000 and $3,400 in 2020. Divide the value in 2000 by the value in 2020 ($1,230 ÷ $3,400 = 0.3617647). Thus, the value in 2000 was 36.18% of the value in 2020.
Multiply the current appraised value by the percentage change in the historic value over the time period in question. For example, a tract appraised at $4,000 in 2020 would have been worth $1,447.06 in 2000 ($4,000 × 0.3617647).

I’m not even going to argue with you, so here’s some things to consider.

across the river

https://www.mdwfp.com/conservation/who-pays-for-it/north-american-model-of-wildlife-conservation/

The North American Model of Wildlife Conservation
During the first half of the 20th century, leaders like Theodore Roosevelt and Aldo Leopold helped shape a set of ideals that came to be known as the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. The foundation of this philosophy is that all wildlife belong to all of us and that every citizen is entitled to the opportunity to hunt and fish. These leaders understood very early that ethical, regulated hunting is indeed the driving force that maintains abundant wildlife, both in Mississippi and throughout North America.

https://extension.missouri.edu/publications/g404

Using information from the historical series, calculate the percentage change in average historical value between the two years in question. For example, Table 2 indicates that an average acre of Missouri farm real estate was worth $1,230 in 2000 and $3,400 in 2020. Divide the value in 2000 by the value in 2020 ($1,230 ÷ $3,400 = 0.3617647). Thus, the value in 2000 was 36.18% of the value in 2020.
Multiply the current appraised value by the percentage change in the historic value over the time period in question. For example, a tract appraised at $4,000 in 2020 would have been worth $1,447.06 in 2000 ($4,000 × 0.3617647).

I’m not even going to argue with you, so here’s some things to consider.

Still not sure what point you are trying to make, and what does any of that have to do with private land verses public land. And why are you linking Missouri land prices? If you are somehow trying to argue against people having private property, then you haven’t done much research on Leopold who said “ conservation will ultimately boil down to rewarding the private landowner who conserves the public interest.” He understood that most wildlife and most endangered species were on private land, and want to the government to make payments to private landowners to conserve the wildlife, which wasn’t real popular back then. I’m not anti public land or water at all, and like I said earlier, I fish and hunt some public to this day. I just dont see how you think someone owning there own land is a privilege. The government doesn’t owe you or me a place to hunt, just the “opportunity” to pursue them by maintaining sustainable populations.

Long Cut

Still not sure what point you are trying to make, and what does any of that have to do with private land verses public land. And why are you linking Missouri land prices? If you are somehow trying to argue against people having private property, then you haven’t done much research on Leopold who said “ conservation will ultimately boil down to rewarding the private landowner who conserves the public interest.” He understood that most wildlife and most endangered species were on private land, and want to the government to make payments to private landowners to conserve the wildlife, which wasn’t real popular back then. I’m not anti public land or water at all, and like I said earlier, I fish and hunt some public to this day. I just dont see how you think someone owning there own land is a privilege. The government doesn’t owe you or me a place to hunt, just the “opportunity” to pursue them by maintaining sustainable populations.

The Missouri land price article is to reflect how expensive the cost per acre has become. I know, this isn’t Missouri, but is still applicable. Just look at the cost per acre to lease ground in Georgia has become. In the “hot spots” you’re looking at $20/25 per acre. A 100 acre per memberlease is costing guys $1,000-5,000 per year.

Now break down $4,000 per acre (CHEAP For Coweta, Pike, Meriwether, Troup, Heard, Henry, Fayette Counties)
$4,000 x 100 acres is $400k @ 2.87% is around $1,647 per month. Just for the land.

What I’m trying to beat into your thick head is, not everyone can afford high dollar leases or their own land. Think high schoolers, college kids, young adults and families with kids.

Hence my arguement, hunting private land is a privilege for the wealthy.

Not every person has access to private land. I’m all for private land ownership, but you make it out to be extremely easy to purchase say, 100 acres in an area worth buying land.

across the river

The Missouri land price article is to reflect how expensive the cost per acre has become. I know, this isn’t Missouri, but is still applicable. Just look at the cost per acre to lease ground in Georgia has become. In the “hot spots” you’re looking at $20/25 per acre. A 100 acre per memberlease is costing guys $1,000-5,000 per year.

Now break down $4,000 per acre (CHEAP For Coweta, Pike, Meriwether, Troup, Heard, Henry, Fayette Counties)
$4,000 x 100 acres is $400k @ 2.87% is around $1,647 per month. Just for the land.

What I’m trying to beat into your thick head is, not everyone can afford high dollar leases or their own land. Think high schoolers, college kids, young adults and families with kids.

Hence my arguement, hunting private land is a privilege for the wealthy.

Not every person has access to private land. I’m all for private land ownership, but you make it out to be extremely easy to purchase say, 100 acres in an area worth buying land.

O.k. I'll play. Lets assume this "poor guy" buys a pack of cigarettes per day, a case of beer each weekend, and has $500 per month total in payments for a boat, four wheeler, camper, or whatever other toys he has. He probably has more expenses on "stuff" than that, but lets say he has $800 a month in expenses in just these items alone, which I don't think is unreasonable. If he invested this money instead of spending it on stuff that is worth nothing in a few years, and averaged 8% per year on it, he would have ~$60,000 after 5 years, ~$150,000 after ten years, nearly ~$275,000 after twenty, and $1,200,000 after 30. Now I don't expect the man to wait 30 years to save up enough to buy land, but the point is he could easily buy at least a small tract every 5 to 10 years if he just choose to handle his money differently. I have never had a new vehicle, and have only driven one as my personal vehicle with less than 75,000 miles in my entire life. I don't say having a new car is a "privilege", because it isn't, it is a choice. There is just a lot of stuff I personally had rather spend my money on than cars or trucks, so if I never drive a new one I will be fine. In terms of seeing deer, the best piece of property I have is around 40 acres. Never killed a giant on it, but it was purchased because of the location, and you can see deer virtually any time you go. And there are plenty of places in this state where you can get land for way less than $4000 an acre, so I would recommend you broaden your search area. Like I said, I'm all for public land, but I will never buy into the fact that someone having private land to hunt is a privilege. Most anyone can aquire enough land to have somewhere to hunt, most people just choose to spend their money on other stuff, and most of the time it is on depreciable stuff that loses value from the time they buy.

Long Cut

O.k. I'll play. Lets assume this "poor guy" buys a pack of cigarettes per day, a case of beer each weekend, and has $500 per month total in payments for a boat, four wheeler, camper, or whatever other toys he has. He probably has more expenses on "stuff" than that, but lets say he has $800 a month in expenses in just these items alone, which I don't think is unreasonable. If he invested this money instead of spending it on stuff that is worth nothing in a few years, and averaged 8% per year on it, he would have ~$60,000 after 5 years, ~$150,000 after ten years, nearly ~$275,000 after twenty, and $1,200,000 after 30. Now I don't expect the man to wait 30 years to save up enough to buy land, but the point is he could easily buy at least a small tract every 5 to 10 years if he just choose to handle his money differently. I have never had a new vehicle, and have only driven one as my personal vehicle with less than 75,000 miles in my entire life. I don't say having a new car is a "privilege", because it isn't, it is a choice. There is just a lot of stuff I personally had rather spend my money on than cars or trucks, so if I never drive a new one I will be fine. In terms of seeing deer, the best piece of property I have is around 40 acres. Never killed a giant on it, but it was purchased because of the location, and you can see deer virtually any time you go. And there are plenty of places in this state where you can get land for way less than $4000 an acre, so I would recommend you broaden your search area. Like I said, I'm all for public land, but I will never buy into the fact that someone having private land to hunt is a privilege. Most anyone can aquire enough land to have somewhere to hunt, most people just choose to spend their money on other stuff, and most of the time it is on depreciable stuff that loses value from the time they buy.

You’ll play?
You’re playing change the tune to fit your narrative.

Good luck hunting this season.

chrisn1818

“Ok I will play” I don’t smoke, don’t drink, work very hard for my check and still can’t afford land. When I get my kids raised I will probably be able to. Your argument is essentially people waste money. Your right for the most part. But land ownership is out of the question for most young people. Be honest...how old were you when you purchased your first sizable piece of property. Be honest 20+ acres.

across the river

“Ok I will play” I don’t smoke, don’t drink, work very hard for my check and still can’t afford land. When I get my kids raised I will probably be able to. Your argument is essentially people waste money. Your right for the most part. But land ownership is out of the question for most young people. Be honest...how old were you when you purchased your first sizable piece of property. Be honest 20+ acres.

Again, go back and read my posts. I’m not bashing public land, at all. I think public land is great, and I think it is a privilege offered by this state and others to have the opportunity to hunt and fish it. I fished and hunted it plenty years, especially when I was young, and still hunt public on occasion now and fish public water often. I was disputing the statement that owning private land was a privilege, because its not.

To answer your question, when I got my first “real job” in my early twenties, I rented a cheap apartment in the bad side of town. Had no cable, no internet, etc... and basically worked, fished, and hunted, much of it public as I said above. Spent as little as possible, and lived on a little of nothing. I had accumulated enough to buy a little over 40 acres and put a down payment on our first house(about 1500 square feet) when I was in my late twenties, 27 or 28. I literally spent next to nothing though for all those years leading up to that though. Heck, had I stayed single I would have a plantation by now. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

chrisn1818

Again, go back and read my posts. I’m not bashing public land, at all. I think public land is great, and I think it is a privilege offered by this state and others to have the opportunity to hunt and fish it. I fished and hunted it plenty years, especially when I was young, and still hunt public on occasion now and fish public water often. I was disputing the statement that owning private land was a privilege, because its not.

To answer your question, when I got my first “real job” in my early twenties, I rented a cheap apartment in the bad side of town. Had no cable, no internet, etc... and basically worked, fished, and hunted, much of it public as I said above. Spent as little as possible, and lived on a little of nothing. I had accumulated enough to buy a little over 40 acres and put a down payment on our first house(about 1500 square feet) when I was in my late twenties, 27 or 28. I literally spent next to nothing though for all those years leading up to that though. Heck, had I stayed single I would have a plantation by now. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I can relate to that last statement for sure. I have a very similar story. Went to college in MS and spent no money unless it was on fishing or duck hunting. It’s all I did for about 5 years. All public land. I save all I can but land is so expensive now. Just really tough to get a footing to buy a piece. I am getting closer though ?