Are Bobcats a threat to the deer population?

TurkeyKiller12

I have seen a noticeable increase in the number of Bobcats on my hunting properties. Deer numbers are very low but we seem to have a decent Turkey population, even seen a few quail lately. Like everyone else, we also have our fair share of coyotes. I have always thought of coyotes as the number 1 predator threat to deer besides us humans. Lol. Could the higher number of Bobcats be hurting the deer numbers in my area? I will post some trail cam photos and photos from the stand to give an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Attachments

• 20181125114834_IMG_0136.JPG
    20181125114834_IMG_0136.JPG
    550.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 1309.jpeg
    1309.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 20181125114805_IMG_0135.JPG
    20181125114805_IMG_0135.JPG
    596.2 KB · Views: 146

Mark K

Banned
Man you have a trappers paradise!! Get laying some pipe!
As far as Bobcat on deer, I believe they will take fawns, but mainly feed on your rabbits, turkeys, quail, etc...basically like a coon, which you appear to have a few of as well, lol.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I wouldn't be concerned at all about seeing the cats. I'd be more concerned about the coyotes. Cats can easily fill their bellies on much smaller, easier to catch animals. Maybe you have a lot of squirrels on the property. Bobcats find them very tasty! :bounce:

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about the cats.

TurkeyKiller12

I agree with both. I don't think Bobcats are what is wrong with such low numbers in my area. It's hard for me to even think coyotes are eating that many deer. I do think the Bobcats are feasting on the small game. Just drawing at straws trying to figure out why such low deer numbers. This had been an ongoing problems for several years now with the low numbers.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think bobcats are more interesting than the deer. Sure, they probably kill the occasional deer, but I wouldn't worry about it. They've been co-existing for about a hundred thousand years.

We are the main threat to the deer population. Especially folks who shoot a bunch of does for meat and let all the little bucks walk.

Last edited:

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
If you do not have enough cover and native food sources, you aren't going to see many deer there. It's really that simple. If you have plenty of both, maybe there is something else going on. Maybe they find all they need on the surrounding properties. Or maybe there just aren't many deer in that particular area.

Gbr5pb

Yes I have seen bobcats attack a grown doe At Taylor county before he had a accident! And yes hillbilly they are interesting to watch

uturn

I agree..and I still consider the one and only that I've taken with my bow to be one of if not my greatest bow kill!! Don't think I'll ever kill another I even feel a certain regret for taking him!

Being they are indigenes and they belong there much more than I do they get a pass forever more..and watching them is super cool as mentioned above!!

Yotes n Hogs look out for death from above!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I agree..and I still consider the one and only that I've taken with my bow to be one of if not my greatest bow kill!! Don't think I'll ever kill another I even feel a certain regret for taking him!

Being they are indigenes and they belong there much more than I do they get a pass forever more..and watching them is super cool as mentioned above!!

Yotes n Hogs look out for death from above!!!
I killed a bunch of them decades ago. Now I just like to watch them. I doubt if I'll ever kill another one unless I want a hide for some reason.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
They certainly kill and eat deer, but they have no significant impact on the deer population. In the several fawn mortality studies that have recently been done in the southeast, I think less than 10% of the non-harvest mortality could be attributed to bobcats in most all of them. Coyotes usually inflicted 60 to 80% of the non-harvest mortality in those studies.

TurkeyKiller12

They certainly kill and eat deer, but they have no significant impact on the deer population. In the several fawn mortality studies that have recently been done in the southeast, I think less than 10% of the non-harvest mortality could be attributed to bobcats in most all of them. Coyotes usually inflicted 60 to 80% of the non-harvest mortality in those studies.
That is good information. Thank you.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Got to be the coolest animal in the woods , I’d like to see how that picture of the 3 surrounding the raccoon turned out !

oldguy

A bobcat has the same right to be there as does a deer. It is the coyotes that is feral.

Take one, mount it and enjoy the rest.
If ol bob does get lucky on a deer good fur him.
Coyotes aren't feral (meaning a domestic animal gone wild, like a house cat, a dog or pigs). Coyotes may be considered non-native invasive but not feral.

Blisterapine

Bobcats are cool little critters, I never shoot them. They don't hurt the deer in any measurable stat. However hunters who wipe their doe's out are the bigger threat to any deer heard.