Are hogs everywhere in GA?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Actually saw an 8 footer attempt to get some pigs that were in the edge of a pond. The sow dove in on the gator. Gator went under and didn't come back while I was there. But I bet gators do get a few, along with coons, possums, snakes etc.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Since I am looking to move to GA in say 16 months, I'm starting to do my research. My primary hunting would involve hunting pigs, so my question is...are pigs concentrated in certain areas in GA, or can pigs be found throughout the state?

I want to buy land where I can actually hunt the pigs on the property that I buy, so I need to narrow down my search as to where we'd want to live in GA. Can you guys give me some counties to research. Are people hunting the pigs from public land and hunting clubs, or do you guys hunt on your own property?

If you are in the floodplain of any river or major creek in south GA you have a pretty good chance that there are pigs around. You will not find consistent hunting for them on 20 to 60 acres though. I would find land that's good for deer in that acreage range in an area that might have hogs and then plan on hunting hogs on a lease or public land.

ucfireman

I don't want to live near a large city like Atlanta. I'm trying to move away from large populations.

Having land that borders State/National land would be nice, but I know a lot of people that want the same thing, so that probably won't happen.

Good luck, So many folks moving to Ga and the SE the areas that were sparsely populated are not now and getting more populated every day.

As for taxes. States sales tax is 4% I believe. All counties have their own and most cities do too. You can count on 7% or more in all counties but Gwinnett (for now).
Food is taxed at 2.5% I believe.
Property taxes are different story. They are from 22 millage to 40+.
Then there is a TAVT to every vehicle you bring in or buy.
We are getting as bad as the yanks on taxes. I guess to make the newcomers feel at home.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Check out the ocmulgee river. Lots of pigs around there in central georgia
This is what I’d do if I wanted property that has hogs year round . But I’d also look for a club that had them , a lot of hunting clubs have very minimal hunting done outside of deer season

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
To answer your question everywhere doesn’t have hogs . I live in Troup co and I’m in the woods a lot and have never seen one here. Have heard of a couple people that have but we don’t have a population big enough to hunt

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
There are pigs in the mountains too....I’d find some land in the National forest as you mentioned. North Ga is beautiful and there are pigs there too. No gators, less snakes, more bears and plenty of pigs. Did I mention how beautiful it is?

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
What do pigs have to do with insurance, you almost never see one hit on the road?

He's most likely referring to crop damage. That would be my thought at least.

munchie3409

How are vehicles taxed. Here in PA, we pay to have our vehicles annual inspection and an emmissions test. The registration per vehicle is $36 per vehicle, providing you don't have a heavy vehicle. I heard that some states tax each vehicle based on the value of each vehicle, so I'm hoping GA isn't like that as we currently own three vehicles.

Good luck, So many folks moving to Ga and the SE the areas that were sparsely populated are not now and getting more populated every day.

As for taxes. States sales tax is 4% I believe. All counties have their own and most cities do too. You can count on 7% or more in all counties but Gwinnett (for now).
Food is taxed at 2.5% I believe.
Property taxes are different story. They are from 22 millage to 40+.
Then there is a TAVT to every vehicle you bring in or buy.
We are getting as bad as the yanks on taxes. I guess to make the newcomers feel at home.

sleepr71

NO...hogs are not everywhere. They are nomadic & go where the food is...until they wipe it out...leaving little,to none for the Deer & Turkey. Middle,to South GA(on a River) is what you are looking for. Pretty miserable living there in the Summer time due to the bugs,snakes,gators,etc. Spring floods are also a very real possibility & danger. Better build on the highest part & then on stilts ?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
How are vehicles taxed. Here in PA, we pay to have our vehicles annual inspection and an emmissions test. The registration per vehicle is $36 per vehicle, providing you don't have a heavy vehicle. I heard that some states tax each vehicle based on the value of each vehicle, so I'm hoping GA isn't like that as we currently own three vehicles.

You will have to pay a tag fee of $20, a title fee of $18 and a one-time ad valorem (6.5% of the vehicles value) for each of your vehicles. It's going to hurt pretty bad with 3 vehicles depending on their value. You can calculate what the tax will be at the second link below.

https://dor.georgia.gov/transfer-title-and-license-plate-another-state-or-country
https://eservices.drives.ga.gov/_/

After that, you just pay an annual tag fee around $10 to $20.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My largest so far, 340 pound bar. Early Co. Ga. Never know what a hog will do. This one came at me from a thicket. He broke a stick, I turned and dropped him at ten yards. Never knew he was there. I was slipping on to an area to deer hunt.

Attachments

• BigBar2.jpg
    BigBar2.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 28

across the river

I'm curious about these hog population estimates, I've never seen DNR publish a population estimate on pigs. What do pigs have to do with insurance, you almost never see one hit on the road?
That is because there isn’t one. Half of the “facts and statistics” on here originated in the head of the person who stated them.

Todd E

I have seen pigs, that have been by hit by vehicles, on numerous occasions.

I'm curious about these hog population estimates, I've never seen DNR publish a population estimate on pigs. What do pigs have to do with insurance, you almost never see one hit on the road?
dnr does in fact put out population estimates and s easy to find in fact they say it’s around 100,000. You do realize that there is more than car insurance right? Such as the insurance a farmer has on his crops and land and homeowners insurance for an hoa and also businesses insurance such as a golf course etc.

across the river

dnr does in fact put out population estimates and s easy to find in fact they say it’s around 100,000. You do realize that there is more than car insurance right? Such as the insurance a farmer has on his crops and land and homeowners insurance for an hoa and also businesses insurance such as a golf course etc.

Exactly. Like saying there isn’t one when in fact a quick google search says otherwise

So post the link. The man you were responding to is a biologist for the Georgia DNR. He says he has never seen them, and you apparently have, so post them up for all of us to see.

Ad the information as well about the "insurance agenda" to inflate wild hog numbers he was speaking about, and explain why that would make a difference in any way to the DNR or be beneficial for them to "inflate" them. Wild pigs are invasive, there is no season, there is no limit, etc..... What would "inflating the numbers " have to do with anything regarding the DNR or wild pigs, armadillo, pigeons, or any other invasive species?

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

Crop insurance usually doesn't get filed for deer or hog damage as the crop usually has to be declared a total loss. I've been working with deer and hogs in DNR on a statewide level for 15 years and this idea that things are being run by insurance companies is ludicrous. Sure they want there to be fewer deer and hogs, but they aren't orchestrating some big conspiracy within DNR as some seem to think. I struggle to see how DNR would benefit in any way from inflating hog numbers anyway.

With that said, I've always been an open book on the forum so I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Not trying to get down on you at all, just makes me chuckle when I see stuff like that since I would have to be at the heart of the conspiracy for it to be true (and I'm not:)).

Sixes

Look at Macon from a center point and you should find hogs in a 60-75 mile circle all the way around, with more to the south and east.

The further north, the less chance of hogs until you hit some mountainous ares, but the population still isn't like middle/south GA.

Unless you are one of the few that really love hogs, you will get sick of the destruction that they cause and at some point want them all dead and not on your property.

sleepr71

100% agree ^^^. I’ll only add that SW GA is ate up with them also. Probably worse than any area due to row crop farming. Cant imagine how much they cost farmers down there!