Are hogs everywhere in GA?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Buy property in Taliaferro Co. along the Little River corridor. You’ll have plenty of hogs as long as you put the corn to em.

bany

these guys aren’t steering you wrong. the place I know in Alabama is isolated, by a river, prone to flooding and, mostly forested. Pigs galore. If that helps your Ga search.
Also Georgia certainly knows how to tax these days. Especially if there is growth around, ie schools etc.
As vehicles go, it may differ but there’s a $20 tag fee and annual ad valorum that drops with age or value. An 08 mountaineer was $65 total this year plus $25 emission test, Forsyth co.

b rad

I don't want to live near a large city like Atlanta. I'm trying to move away from large populations.

Having land that borders State/National land would be nice, but I know a lot of people that want the same thing, so that probably won't happen.

The same people that want to border public land are the ones always complaining and putting up signs like they own the place. Hogs are everywhere just stay hr half away from atl

dang

DANG !!!
How are vehicles taxed. Here in PA, we pay to have our vehicles annual inspection and an emmissions test. The registration per vehicle is $36 per vehicle, providing you don't have a heavy vehicle. I heard that some states tax each vehicle based on the value of each vehicle, so I'm hoping GA isn't like that as we currently own three vehicles.
Look up Ad Valorum tax. Basically figure on a one time up front 7% of the current value of your vehicle fee in order to transfer your tags to GA. After that it’s like 20 bucks a year for emissions to renew your registration.

dang

DANG !!!
Crop insurance usually doesn't get filed for deer or hog damage as the crop usually has to be declared a total loss. I've been working with deer and hogs in DNR on a statewide level for 15 years and this idea that things are being run by insurance companies is ludicrous. Sure they want there to be fewer deer and hogs, but they aren't orchestrating some big conspiracy within DNR as some seem to think. I struggle to see how DNR would benefit in any way from inflating hog numbers anyway.

With that said, I've always been an open book on the forum so I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Not trying to get down on you at all, just makes me chuckle when I see stuff like that since I would have to be at the heart of the conspiracy for it to be true (and I'm not:)).
Charlie is the man! ?

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Since I am looking to move to GA in say 16 months, I'm starting to do my research. My primary hunting would involve hunting pigs, so my question is...are pigs concentrated in certain areas in GA, or can pigs be found throughout the state?

I want to buy land where I can actually hunt the pigs on the property that I buy, so I need to narrow down my search as to where we'd want to live in GA. Can you guys give me some counties to research. Are people hunting the pigs from public land and hunting clubs, or do you guys hunt on your own property?

Yes

If we made wild hogs extinct it wouldn’t bother me. They are an invasive species

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Can remember, back when hogs were few, seems there were more people wanting to hog hunt. Now that areas of Georgia is infested with them, Less people want to fool with em. I've killed many over the last couple years. Butchered some, gave some to folks who wanted em. And had to do away with many because couldn't find anyone to take them. And with leased land, not allowed to let non members of the club come hunt the darn things. Here are photo's of a few of them

Attachments

• hogs .jpg
    hogs .jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 21
  • bit the dust Sept 19.jpg
    bit the dust Sept 19.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Bar340.jpg
    Bar340.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Dec2018.jpg
    Dec2018.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 19

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The most hogs I have ever seen in my life was in Wilcox County along the Ocmulgee just north of Abbeville.

We had 450 acres in Warren county that was absolutely loaded up with hogs. I had 60 different hogs coming onto that property during the summer.

I figured we would kill a half a dozen or so that year at least.

We killed 2 during archery season. lol

Never seen then during the rifle season at all.

We had less pressure on our club that the surrounding clubs so I never could figure out why they didn't stay at our club. We had food/cover/water. But they vacated the place.

Reactions: Son

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We had 450 acres in Warren county that was absolutely loaded up with hogs. I had 60 different hogs coming onto that property during the summer.

We had less pressure on our club that the surrounding clubs so I never could figure out why they didn't stay at our club. We had food/cover/water. But they vacated the place.

When you find out why the hogs left. Let me know the secret.

across the river

In my experience, unless you are in an area that they are just everywhere, like along the coast or along a major river corridor, etc.... they move a lot. I’ve had them move in for a while to feed on something specific a while and them move not to be seen again for a while. You can travel not all that far to buddy of mines place that is right on the river, and they can’t get rid of them. I think in large part they are moving on both places, he just get replenished immediately because they are constantly traveling along that river.

sleepr71

Yep..property along River & big creek corridors..are going to have hogs. Even plain old wet weather areas that hold water in the Summer.

frankwright

I agree, the land I hunt in Talbot always has pigs. We don't bait during deer season (Club Rule) or Turkey Season yet the pigs are always there.
I think it is due to lots of creeks,cover and food plots.
But like someone said, they always seem to be on another trail cam than where I am.
Maybe I will get a drone and sit on the camper porch and scout hogs!