Are the random pop ads coming from malicious code injections?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Download adblock plus, and you will never see them. I haven't for many years. It takes about fifteen seconds of your time and costs nothing.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Download adblock plus, and you will never see them. I haven't for many years. It takes about fifteen seconds of your time and costs nothing.

NCH, I gotta thank you for this. Best thing I've done in a minute. Adblock works great!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I dont have the issues on a computer, but the redirects when logged in from my mobile are seriously distracting

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ditto, no problem from home computer, but I don't even try to access the site from my phone because of the popups and redirects
Adblock plus. I get no popups on my mobile phone, my computer, laptop. Nowhere. I have no idea why anybody on earth would run any device without it. It's free, it works, and takes just a few seconds to install.

As for any malicious ware or popups, we have absolutely no control of the ads or the site code here on our end. That comes from ustairs. But, if you'll install and run Adblock plus on your phone, computer, or whatever, you will have no problems.

transfixer

I'm hesitant to run a lot of anti virus/ malware/ad blocker type stuff, many of them tie up a lot of your processors resources, I run ESET anti virus on both home pc and phone because its one of the least intrusive antivirus programs out there, I'll check into the adblock , but most are seldom truly free, they either make you watch ads every now and then, or constantly try to get you to upgrade.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Adblock plus. I get no popups on my mobile phone, my computer, laptop. Nowhere. I have no idea why anybody on earth would run any device without it. It's free, it works, and takes just a few seconds to install.

As for any malicious ware or popups, we have absolutely no control of the ads or the site code here on our end. That comes from ustairs. But, if you'll install and run Adblock plus on your phone, computer, or whatever, you will have no problems.

I have adblocker plus on my phone and continue to get the redirects. Only happens here on this forum and does not happen on the computer. Pain in the backend, but I make do :p

jdgator

Yes there is malware embedded in the site content. It's the nature of bulletin board systems. If people can post content then malicious agents can embed redirects and other trash. Adblock plus prevents you from going for a ride.

GunnSmokeer

I'm sick of all the ads that take up 50% of my screen space here. .
I expected that to happen when I only visit without logging in, but when I login as a registered member here and I still see all this garbage cluttering up my screen I don't like it one bit.

I won't continue using the site if this problem isn't addressed.

GunnSmokeer

89F02063-0C51-4D94-8749-0402EF8C0EBC.png

This is a screen shot of i'm talking about. These aren't the "redirecting" malware ads --this is just a generic pop-up ad that suddenly appears in the middle of the post that I am reading and takes up 50% of the available screen space on my device!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You think that is on the GON site and not on your device?
Why?

AceOfTheBase

Not a problem here, but I use "Brave" as my browser.
In fact, over the several months of use, Brave has blocked +85,400 ads and trackers on this Win10 PC, and +143,400 on another one.
Also use it to browse on my Android phone.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sick of all the ads that take up 50% of my screen space here. .
I expected that to happen when I only visit without logging in, but when I login as a registered member here and I still see all this garbage cluttering up my screen I don't like it one bit.

I won't continue using the site if this problem isn't addressed.
Again, take 15 seconds out of your life and download Adblock Plus for free. I don't understand why anybody wouldn't run it. I have not seen a single ad on here in years.

GeorgeShu

I found another good app that is more user friendly from my perspective. It is called Brave, in the app store. I like it better than Adblocker.