Are There Crawfish In Clark’s Hill Lake?

Shrimpngrits

My little fellas and I are giving it all we got and we’re striking out every time. We’ve got two cylinder traps; the bait has been netted inside each time. dog food, cat food, cut bream... nothing! We’ve tried 5’, 15’, 25’... always near a rip rap bank. It’s been an overnight soak each time as well. Any pointers?
This Richard Gene has imparted the crawfish fever upon us, but as a group we’re losing hope! Thanks y’all!

Liquid nails

You need to try up at the Russell dam. Down on the rip rap on the Georgia side on the dam overlook rd. There are 3 jetties that stick out. Put a trap before the first one closest to the dam. Let it soak overnight. We seen one back in the spring that had to weigh 1/2lb. Lol. Seen several there in that area when we went to the pier to catch bait. I know that area very well. I’d load the trap with a couple blueback herring. That’s their main food source. They eat fish. They love fish.

LittleDrummerBoy

There is a time each fall when bass eat a lot of crawfish in lakes where they are plentiful. I'm not sure when that would be in Clark's Hill, but odds are the bass fishermen know, since that's when crawfish lure patterns work very well and most bass have crawfish in their bellies.

ghadarits

As a kid I always found them in creeks. You might try the back of a creek around some type of heavy wood, grass or rock cover. I staked out a big gizzard Shad with a piec of bamboo a few weeks ago to check after dark in hopes of seeing a few craw dad. All I attracted was a big turtle.

across the river

Lakes don't often have a real big population of crawfish because there are tons of fish to eat them and not a lot of cover. I would go to the river south of the dam where you have a lot of vegetation. Better yet, if you have access to a decent sized creek, you can fill a trap up in a deep hole in a creek.

crackerdave

Crawfish eggs have a high survival rate,especially in riprap areas.Just sayin....

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My little fellas and I are giving it all we got and we’re striking out every time. We’ve got two cylinder traps; the bait has been netted inside each time. dog food, cat food, cut bream... nothing! We’ve tried 5’, 15’, 25’... always near a rip rap bank. It’s been an overnight soak each time as well. Any pointers?
This Richard Gene has imparted the crawfish fever upon us, but as a group we’re losing hope! Thanks y’all!

Set your traps in creeks and branches. If you`re down here in South Georgia, make sure to check them daily so there is less chance the big snappers and gators don`t check them for you. You`ll still have a few traps crushed or damaged.

Shrimpngrits

You need to try up at the Russell dam. Down on the rip rap on the Georgia side on the dam overlook rd. There are 3 jetties that stick out. Put a trap before the first one closest to the dam. Let it soak overnight. We seen one back in the spring that had to weigh 1/2lb. Lol. Seen several there in that area when we went to the pier to catch bait. I know that area very well. I’d load the trap with a couple blueback herring. That’s their main food source. They eat fish. They love fish.

This is a great idea, thanks! It’s a long way to go twice from Augusta but I’m gonna look into it for sure. Thanks for the blueback tip as well!

Shrimpngrits

Lakes don't often have a real big population of crawfish because there are tons of fish to eat them and not a lot of cover. I would go to the river south of the dam where you have a lot of vegetation. Better yet, if you have access to a decent sized creek, you can fill a trap up in a deep hole in a creek.

You know, I considered it, in the river or canal even... my worry was the bait’s scent getting washed downstream too quickly? Am I overthinking that?

Shrimpngrits

Set your traps in creeks and branches. If you`re down here in South Georgia, make sure to check them daily so there is less chance the big snappers and gators don`t check them for you. You`ll still have a few traps crushed or damaged.

Just to be clear are you saying feeder creeks to the lake or just creeks in general? Life above the fall line keeps the gators out of my mind at least....

Thank y’all so much for the ideas

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Just to be clear are you saying feeder creeks to the lake or just creeks in general? Life above the fall line keeps the gators out of my mind at least....

Creeks in general.

across the river

You know, I considered it, in the river or canal even... my worry was the bait’s scent getting washed downstream too quickly? Am I overthinking that?

Yes, you are overthinking it. Have you ever crabbed or baited for shrimp in the ocean where the water is always moving? I've done it a few times in the river and caught a decent number. There are quite a few in the canal as well, but I've never set a trap in there. Creeks are by far the best for numbers though, because there isn't a lot there to eat them and they typically concentrate in the pools.

Last edited:

ghadarits

This is a great idea, thanks! It’s a long way to go twice from Augusta but I’m gonna look into it for sure. Thanks for the blueback tip as well!
I would try some creeks close to home that are close enough to cheek the next evening during the week. I've seen tones of crawdads in small creeks. It stands to reason the less predators the more crawdads.

mrfudd

I have bad news for you- there are tons of gators around Augusta. I would guess at least half of the farm ponds have at least one. I remember a large one was removed from the National Hills area a few years ago.

Shrimpngrits

I have bad news for you- there are tons of gators around Augusta. I would guess at least half of the farm ponds have at least one. I remember a large one was removed from the National Hills area a few years ago.

Around Augusta... around the bottom half of Augusta, sure I’ll buy that. There’s none north of I-20, and brother lemme tell ya; I stay north of I-20.

Shrimpngrits

Yes, you are overthinking it. Have you ever crabbed or baited for shrimp in the ocean where the water is always moving? I've done it a few times in the river and caught a decent number. There are quite a few in the canal as well, but I've never set a trap in there. Creeks are by far the best for numbers though, because there isn't a lot there to eat them and they typically concentrate in the pools.

Haha, you are so right. My bride says I often have paralyzation by analyzation. Thanks for the tips, we’re gonna start hitting the creeks again. Just this time we will use bait better than the dog food we were trying...