Are You Experiencing A Turkey Decline?

Buckman18

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I agree buckman , I try to do all 10 on the private land I hunt. But certainly could do more ! And I have plenty to hunt also

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Evidently we have plenty turkeys in the area I hunt. We plant 15 to 17 plots year round, everything from sunflowers to oats. Of course our property doesn't see many turkeys during season. Because the turkeys go to where there's feed of sorts. Soon as the season is over, they come back. We see plenty during deer season too. Turkey season is already shorted naturally. Old age keeps me from going many days, priorities cancels some hunting days. Weather takes care of the rest.

Attachments

• back when.jpg
    back when.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 11

buckpasser

During this recent turkey “drought”, proper management, or better yet intense management has kept select locations amply stocked with wild turkeys. The major change in the past decade is just how bad most areas have become that aren’t managed. Places that were once loaded have become desolate. My biggest fear is that disease and environmental changes will send turkeys the way of the Bobwhite quail. Plenty of ground around here still hosts world class quail hunting year after year, but it takes hundreds of dollars/acre/year and a whole lot of manpower to achieve it.

That said, I still say they will rebound mostly on their own, and when they do, here’s to the possibility less Facebook hunters will still be interested! (Also, the new regs and the turkey doc will receive all the praise even though they will be inconsequential in reality)

DRBugman85

During this recent turkey “drought”, proper management, or better yet intense management has kept select locations amply stocked with wild turkeys. The major change in the past decade is just how bad most areas have become that aren’t managed. Places that were once loaded have become desolate. My biggest fear is that disease and environmental changes will send turkeys the way of the Bobwhite quail. Plenty of ground around here still hosts world class quail hunting year after year, but it takes hundreds of dollars/acre/year and a whole lot of manpower to achieve it.

That said, I still say they will rebound mostly on their own, and when they do, here’s to the possibility less Facebook hunters will still be interested! (Also, the new regs and the turkey doc will receive all the praise even though they will be inconsequential in reality)
We said ?

strothershwacker

All the well managed private lands that i know of have plenty of birds. Its the over hunted areas be it public or private that has seen such a decline. The only thing that has really changed in the last ten years is THE NUMBER OF TURKEY HUNTERS! Not sure why this is such a hard concept for everyone.

Mexican Squealer

Got plenty in Camden county and Taylor county GA...got plenty in Jasper and Hampton county SC. That’s all I can speak on as those are the places I hunt.