Artifact IDs

ghadarits

Nic’s post prompted this. I like looking for artifacts but don’t know much about them. If any of you guys can ID any of these it would be greatly appreciated. Both pics are the same just different camera positions.C0B89967-443F-4D70-BEDB-B235DF81AB97.jpeg35C7C48D-FEB4-4703-AB88-A852FF70D3C5.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

ghadarits

I think 1 and 2 are true arrow heads they’re both smaller than a nickel and 1 is dime size but all of the others are not.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not an expert, but here are my thoughts:

First, nice collection!

1 and 2 are true arrowheads from the Mississippian Period. 6., 10, and 16 are probable arrowheads from the Woodland period. 4 and 5 are Mid-Archaic points, I'd call them Morrow Mountain type 1. 7,8,9,and 15 are Early Archaic points. 11 And 12 are Mid-Archaic Guilford points. 13 is an unfinished preform that hasn't been notched yet.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
When asking for information about stone points, it's best to mention county and State where found. Those are not in my area of expertise, but I do know some of the types pictured.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
10 and 16 look like Yakins, a woodland type 400 BC or so. 7 could be a Lecroy, bifurcated early archaic point for sure. 8 looks like a Kirk corner notch, early archaic. 1 and 2, Mississippian period points, type name depends on where found, state etc..

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Beautiful points! I woulda thought 10 and 16 were earlier. They look similar to some Paleo points I’ve seen. What’s the tell tale sign y’all that are more educated on the subject look for?

ghadarits

Not an expert, but here are my thoughts:

First, nice collection!

1 and 2 are true arrowheads from the Mississippian Period. 6., 10, and 16 are probable arrowheads from the Woodland period. 4 and 5 are Mid-Archaic points, I'd call them Morrow Mountain type 1. 7,8,9,and 15 are Early Archaic points. 11 And 12 are Mid-Archaic Guilford points. 13 is an unfinished preform that hasn't been notched yet.
Thank you for the input NCHillbilly it's very much appreciated.

ghadarits

10 and 16 look like Yakins, a woodland type 400 BC or so. 7 could be a Lecroy, bifurcated early archaic point for sure. 8 looks like a Kirk corner notch, early archaic. 1 and 2, Mississippian period points, type name depends on where found, state etc..
Thank you for the input Son it's very much appreciated.

All of the points shown were found in Georgia mostly above the fall line.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thank you for the input Son it's very much appreciated.

All of the points shown were found in Georgia mostly above the fall line.
I noticed they looked N. Ga.