(Asking for highlights)Black Bear, Acorn, Forage, and planted plants Biology Project FOR ACADEMIC Reasons

Thread starter #1
Dates needed now are from today 6/10/21 to 6/12/21 Saturday. I will then work on another section for the next 6 weeks as well. So continue to add as please to responses.

Okay, so here is my challenge. Id like to do an Biology project for my class that will also flow over to my next quarter to do the work on. I need for this project to start in building my research is the following things. As I would appreciate only positive feedback for this study. THIS STUDY IS NOT DONE FOR FACTS AND CONNECTED TO ANYONE OTHER THAN MYSELF FOR ACADEMIC PURPOSES. I'm solely doing this for my grades on projects that are asked of me in my biology 211 but that I will need to do work on in my biology 212 class to follow at a later date.

Information given:

Your first step to completing your research project is to form a question. This question will guide your literature research and ultimately lead to your hypothesis. You need to keep the following in mind as you formulate your hypothesis and project:

1. You will have a limited amount of time to perform your experiment/procedure.

2. All your data will need to be analyzed using statistics and properly presented using table(s) and graphs.

3. You will need time after completing the above to write your findings in a formal report that is in a publishable format.

4. Your instructor will help you in formulating your hypothesis correctly and designing your project.

MY SUGGESTION TO THE PROFESSOR WAS:

Me: I am inquiring about the project to see your thoughts on the study of black bear population in GA of region 2 and the effects of hunting forms based on the crop of acorns along with other natural or regulated planted plots for forge; give or take a section of my thoughts. Do you feel this would be a completion project for the lesson?

or

Identify and evaluate quantity and diversity of animal prints in various ecosystems. What does this tell you about ecosystem characteristics and biodiversity?

Professor: That would work, unless you plan to take bio 212. You are supposed to propose the project in this class and actually do it for 212. So, it really depends on the "doability" of the work. It sounds a little complicated to do, but if you don't take 212, you could definitely plan it as if you would conduct the work, but not actually do it….

So since this is an interest to me because I do hunt and also want to prove that this is a doable project I'm reaching out to the ones that have boots on the ground much like I do when I am up for season hunts as well.

Dates needed now are from today 6/10/21 to 6/12/21 Saturday. I will then work on another section for the next 6 weeks as well. So continue to add as please to responses.

Okay, so here is my challenge. Id like to do an Biology project for my class that will also flow over to my next quarter to do the work on. I need for this project to start in building my research is the following things. As I would appreciate only positive feedback for this study. THIS STUDY IS NOT DONE FOR FACTS AND CONNECTED TO ANYONE OTHER THAN MYSELF FOR ACADEMIC PURPOSES. I'm solely doing this for my grades on projects that are asked of me in my biology 211 but that I will need to do work on in my biology 212 class to follow at a later date.

Information given:

Your first step to completing your research project is to form a question. This question will guide your literature research and ultimately lead to your hypothesis. You need to keep the following in mind as you formulate your hypothesis and project:

1. You will have a limited amount of time to perform your experiment/procedure.

2. All your data will need to be analyzed using statistics and properly presented using table(s) and graphs.

3. You will need time after completing the above to write your findings in a formal report that is in a publishable format.

4. Your instructor will help you in formulating your hypothesis correctly and designing your project.

MY SUGGESTION TO THE PROFESSOR WAS:

Me: I am inquiring about the project to see your thoughts on the study of black bear population in GA of region 2 and the effects of hunting forms based on the crop of acorns along with other natural or regulated planted plots for forge; give or take a section of my thoughts. Do you feel this would be a completion project for the lesson?

or

Identify and evaluate quantity and diversity of animal prints in various ecosystems. What does this tell you about ecosystem characteristics and biodiversity?

Professor: That would work, unless you plan to take bio 212. You are supposed to propose the project in this class and actually do it for 212. So, it really depends on the "doability" of the work. It sounds a little complicated to do, but if you don't take 212, you could definitely plan it as if you would conduct the work, but not actually do it….

So since this is an interest to me because I do hunt and also want to prove that this is a doable project I'm reaching out to the ones that have boots on the ground much like I do when I am up for season hunts as well.
Not sure I understand the question. What is it your needing from us?

Ditto

Remember that scientific outcomes need to be measurable. It may help to narrow your focus down to something as small as 1/2 or 1/4 acre with a diverse eco system, say like a food plot surrounded by oaks with a creek near by. I am not sure I understand your project but I believe your biology classes are dealing with life at a cellular level. Feel free to PM I'd love to help you in any way possible! I nerd out on science and am currently in my FNP masters program.

Thread starter #6
I'm looking for some of your knowledge on the food crops this year with the population of bears. Do you notice more tracks/markings/sign/scat at forge an such like in wild forge acorns, persimmons, berries or more in the planted forge in plots where you find clover, corn, chicory an such. So I can build graphs of them, I will be up in the fall during my next quarter an can conduct a small research area myself on different tracts of land I visit. Joe Brandon hit it on the head. This is more of a cellular level of biology.

Thread starter #7
Not sure I understand the question. What is it your needing from us?
Data on what you know about bear for this current year, the food they are picking the most and how the ecosystem is providing this or is man providing this in the woods more. How has it effected the population around that source of food. This will bring me to my cellular level in my biology hypothesis.

Sorry I didn't mean to confuse anyone.

Remember that scientific outcomes need to be measurable. It may help to narrow your focus down to something as small as 1/2 or 1/4 acre with a diverse eco system, say like a food plot surrounded by oaks with a creek near by. I am not sure I understand your project but I believe your biology classes are dealing with life at a cellular level. Feel free to PM I'd love to help you in any way possible! I nerd out on science and am currently in my FNP masters program.
I echo this sentiment. Having published over 100 peer-reviewed scientific articles, some on animal behavior, most on human reproductive behavior and self-awareness, measureable empiricial questions make the best science. That being said, observable field studies are cool and meaningful, but I think your question is really broad. I think you would be better off contacting the bear biologist(s) who have collars on bears and cameras and could likely provide more detailed info.... that is if @Buckman18 hasn't killed all the collared bears yet...

Thread starter #9
I think you would be better off contacting the bear biologist(s) who have collars on bears and cameras and could likely provide more detailed info.... that is if @Buckman18 hasn't killed all the collared bears yet...[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree but I do not have that time frame to do that for this week.
I am going to reach out to Adam Hammond and see if I can get any results from him on the task as well since I wanted to focus on region 2. I do already have the reports of their Draft Strategic Management Plan for Black Bears in Georgia (2018-2027). But, again that does not give me the quick data I was looking for that is current for right now.

I plan go scout bear harder this summer than I ever have in efforts to take one With a longbow this year. In doing so I suspect to find bear on these sources in this order as they develop 1.blackberries 2.wild cherry 3.blackgum 4.hickory nuts 5.red oaks & mountain olive 6.white oaks this prediction is merely based on weed hat I've seen them do in the past. I plan to run cameras pretty hard. Soft mast, acorn crops, rain and or the lack of, late season frost have varying effects on these food sources. I can't even speak educated lingo but I'll gladly share everything I find with you EXCEPT location.

Thread starter #11
I can't even speak educated lingo but I'll gladly share everything I find with you EXCEPT location.
Yes only asking for educational not locations, that is why I just chose region 2. This helps, I also have looked over the other forum post in persimmons, acorns, bear activity and such that others have already posted. These are the ideas that I am looking for to make my future report next quarter as of now it is only a hypothesis to the bear and food in the region 2 area. Thank!!