Atheist Church

WaltL1

I personally look at it this way -
a gathering of like minded folks does not make a "religion" or "denomination" or the place they gather in a "church".
If it did, a karaoke club, a book group, a sewing club etc would also be a religion etc.
We all know what a church is, we all know what a religion is, we all know what a denomination is.... and this aint that.
I think this guy pretty much summed it up -
"It's a nice excuse to get together and have a bit of a community spirit but without the religion aspect," says Jess Bonham, a photographer.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Reminds me of "CHOP", in that it is the "against" that is the catalyst; and without the catalyst, it's right back to the 40+ disconnected ideas wandering around looking for fellowship.

WaltL1

Reminds me of "CHOP", in that it is the "against" that is the catalyst; and without the catalyst, it's right back to the 40+ disconnected ideas wandering around looking for fellowship.
I think we would have to define "against".
I'm against the claim that a (G)god (any of them) in fact exists.
I'm not against the possibility that a g(G)od exists or against religion in that I think it should be outlawed etc.
I do agree with you on this -
looking for fellowship
Heck, folks looking for fellowship is why GON exists.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
It feels like a stand-up comedy show.

It sounds like one too. Only thing missing is a Drag Queen story time, .......OH WAIT!!!!
There is a reading from Alice in Wonderland

WaltL1

It sounds like one too. Only thing missing is a Drag Queen story time, .......OH WAIT!!!!
Pretty much the opposite of what you would expect from a church/religion/denomination aint it?
Maybe because thats ^ not what it is?

You gotta admit though some of that nonsense like Benny Hinn is pretty dang comical.
Or pretty dang sad depending on how you look at it.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Pretty much the opposite of what you would expect from a church/religion/denomination aint it?
Maybe because thats ^ not what it is?

You gotta admit though some of that nonsense like Benny Hinn is pretty dang comical.
Or pretty dang sad depending on how you look at it.

Call it what you want, but a routine meeting of people with the same philosophical beliefs about God I call church. Funny thing is it's almost like they attempted to mimic the framework of traditional church, just substituting different props. I have no idea why they would attempt that. I mean, if you have the opportunity to start from scratch and go in any direction you could conceivably desire, why pick a "church" framework to begin with, especially if you're an atheist. There's a lot in the framework of a traditional Church service I would change if I could,.... it just baffles me. Anyway, to each his own.

WaltL1

Call it what you want, but a routine meeting of people with the same philosophical beliefs about God I call church. Funny thing is it's almost like they attempted to mimic the framework of traditional church, just substituting different props. I have no idea why they would attempt that. I mean, if you have the opportunity to start from scratch and go in any direction you could conceivably desire, why pick a "church" framework to begin with, especially if you're an atheist. There's a lot in the framework of a traditional Church service I would change if I could,.... it just baffles me. Anyway, to each his own.
but a routine meeting of people with the same philosophical beliefs about God I call church.
We differ on that ^.
If 3 Christians carpooled to work every day are they driving in a "church"?
Their meeting is routine. They have the same philosophical beliefs about God.
If they only happened to talk about politics on certain days is the car a church?
If 3 Atheist women are in a book club and meet once a week to discuss books, is where they meet called a "church"?
Routine meeting. Same philosophical beliefs about God.
I view "church" as wherever God is being worshipped be that a trout stream or mountain top or deer stand or a building.
To me its the worshipping of God that makes a place a church. Wherever or whatever that place may be.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I personally look at it this way -
a gathering of like minded folks does not make a "religion" or "denomination" or the place they gather in a "church".
If it did, a karaoke club, a book group, a sewing club etc would also be a religion etc.
We all know what a church is, we all know what a religion is, we all know what a denomination is.... and this aint that.
I think this guy pretty much summed it up -
I’m good with this concept. I guess where I differ is the lumping of some groups as “religious” because they gather at a church building and call themselves “religious”.

But to be fair, those folks do claim religion. And with these Atheist, it’s referred to as Atheist Church. And Church (building) is a place used for Christian activities.

Just seems strange that a group that doesn’t believe in God uses something akin to a God / god for their gatherings. It’s almost like sarcasm - what could we call a group that gathers at Christmas Eve at the chimney and goes through the motions of mimicking waiting on Santa? Definitely couldn’t take them as serious???

Last edited:

WaltL1

I’m good with this concept. I guess where I differ is the lumping of some groups as “religious” because they gather at a church building and call themselves “religious”.

But to be fair, those folks do claim religion. And with these Atheist, it’s referred to as Atheist Church. And Church (building) is a place used for Christian activities.

Just seems strange that a group that doesn’t believe in God uses something akin to a God / god for their gatherings. It’s almost like sarcasm - what could we call a group that gathers at Christmas Eve at the chimney and goes through the motions of mimicking waiting on Santa? Definitely couldn’t take them as serious???
And with these Atheist, it’s referred to as Atheist Church.
I personally disagree with those Atheists use of the word Church.
In fact, their use of "Atheist Church" guarantees that I wouldnt set foot in any of their meetings even if all they talked about was hunting or fishing or hot women.
As I said above, church, in my opinion, is a place where God is worshipped. If you arent worshipping God then you arent in a church.
Even if the Atheists literally met in an actual church, it then just becomes a building for the amount of time they are there. If that makes any sense.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
I think we would have to define "against".
I'm against the claim that a (G)god (any of them) in fact exists.
I'm not against the possibility that a g(G)od exists or against religion in that I think it should be outlawed etc.
I do agree with you on this -

Heck, folks looking for fellowship is why GON exists.
Yah...The object of the againstness doesn't have to be specific...anything religious, even vaguely religious, will produce the catalytic effect.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I personally disagree with those Atheists use of the word Church.
In fact, their use of "Atheist Church" guarantees that I wouldnt set foot in any of their meetings even if all they talked about was hunting or fishing or hot women.
As I said above, church, in my opinion, is a place where God is worshipped. If you arent worshipping God then you arent in a church.
Even if the Atheists literally met in an actual church, it then just becomes a building for the amount of time they are there. If that makes any sense.
I’m on the same page with ya here.

LTFDretired

They have lost whatever they could have had. No sure what point denial will accomplish. Misery loves company I reckon.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Or, many have always been Conservatives but just do not believe in gods and folk lore. No adaptation or adoption needed.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Or, many have always been Conservatives but just do not believe in gods and folk lore. No adaptation or adoption needed.
I guess because I’m not an atheist I don’t understand where their moral compass comes from. People are not basically good. So I don’t get where their standard for behavior originates. If atheists believe the world is ruled by these cold and impersonal forces then where does love come into the picture for instance? I’m of the opinion that most atheists who say they are conservatives are not truly atheists. They just want to be.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I watched J. Peterson debate Sam Harris on this very subject, and I leaned more towards Peterson's argument which was, in a nutshell that your upbringing in a Judeo-Christian society has shaped your morals and values much more than one thinks.

Judeo-Christianity is engraved in American society and our culture (or was), and that is the value system you absorbed whether you like it or not.

If you lived 4,000 years ago, the Code of Hamurabi may have been how your core values were shaped.

I think China is a great example of how this works.

Look at how the Communist value system has worked on generations of that population.

A total lack of empathy and devotion to a State for the most part.

So in a nutshell I do not believe that we are born with this system of right and wrong, we had to learn it.
I watch and read a lot of Jordan Peterson. I don’t totally discount that at all but at some point I think if that was all it was there would be far more people living totally for themselves than there are. I’ve read the thinkers who aren’t Christians but see Christianity as beneficial for a functional society and they get some things right but they miss the boat some too.