Atheists and ghosts?

1gr8bldr

Wonder why the idea of ghost freaks everyone out? Hollywood? The way in which they are perceived as hiding or lurking? Of course, I to would be freaked out by a barn kid who does not climb stairs. However, I wonder about if anyone might perceive a ghost as a neutral thing, possibly as a protector from bad ghost? Like a dolphin against sharks... or a king snake against other snakes, etc. LOL, like Casper, the friendly ghost. I had much rather have Casper than that scary purple character. LOL, how did clowns ever evolve into being scary. In a few years, are we to think Santa will be a scary man? Crazy world we live in

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Wonder why the idea of ghost freaks everyone out? Hollywood? The way in which they are perceived as hiding or lurking? Of course, I to would be freaked out by a barn kid who does not climb stairs. However, I wonder about if anyone might perceive a ghost as a neutral thing, possibly as a protector from bad ghost? Like a dolphin against sharks... or a king snake against other snakes, etc. LOL, like Casper, the friendly ghost. I had much rather have Casper than that scary purple character. LOL, how did clowns ever evolve into being scary. In a few years, are we to think Santa will be a scary man? Crazy world we live in
Yeah it’s weird what scares people. I’ve always wondered why the idea of aliens scares people. Is it because they aren’t supposed to be real? I don’t know if they are or not but I really don’t care. The idea doesn’t seem scary to me.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Just an FYI for anyone with this type information in the future. I am always on the lookout for property for cheap. I bet I could have gotten a great deal on this one.
You wouldn’t have gotten it cheap if you were of a mind to buy it. There’s a Dollar General there now.?

killerv

Interesting topic. I personally believe in ghosts. I'm a Christian. Old buddy of mine grew up in an 1800s era house near Old Clinton in Gray. Said he had a ghost kid that would come stand by his bed and try to get him up to play with him. His mother said she had seen them too. They moved.

And if you haven't seen Babadook, its the best ghost movie I think I've ever seen.

WaltL1

This is a topic I would have to experience for myself to be able to buy into it 100%.

Madman

There were no contrary videos in his algorithm, only ones that reinforced his ideas. People say that this echo chamber phenomenon is new but it's not really. Going to church and hanging out with believers all day will "screw up your algorithm", too.

This can be applied to the vast majority of humanity. Unless we intentionally delve into a particular topic one is inclined to discount those ideas/arguments that go against our beliefs and pursue those that reinforce.

Hanging out with non-believers all day will "screw up your algorithm", too.

WaltL1

And that’s how you should feel.
I'm certainly not "against" the idea - lots of unexplainable things have happened to folks. Its just one of those things I would have to experience for myself to be able to totally wrap my head around it.

Madman

Is there anything we know of that would make ghosts/spirits/etc. impossible?

Mathematically, Physics, chemistry, philosophically?

WaltL1

Is there anything we know of that would make ghosts/spirits/etc. impossible?

Mathematically, Physics, chemistry, philosophically?
Impossible?
That would be a pretty bold claim to say its impossible.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I'm certainly not "against" the idea - lots of unexplainable things have happened to folks. Its just one of those things I would have to experience for myself to be able to totally wrap my head around it.
Absolutely. The story I told about what happened to me sounds like bull crap. I know it does. But I saw what I saw. I can’t say for a fact it was a spirit but I sure can’t explain it.

660griz

how did clowns ever evolve into being scary.
"IT"--Stephen King's fault. :)
There is a scary Santa movie too. "Silent Night, Deadly Night". and others..

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I have had a few unexplainable things happen and being an extremely skeptical person and wanting to know the hows and whys, I have still only come up with Unexplained as answers.

WaltL1

I have had a few unexplainable things happen and being an extremely skeptical person and wanting to know the hows and whys, I have still only come up with Unexplained as answers.
I wonder what my final analysis would be -
1. I actually saw a ghost/spirit/entity/whatever
2. My last marble just rolled out of the bag and I am officially nuts
3. Flashbacks are cool

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I wonder what my final analysis would be -
1. I actually saw a ghost/spirit/entity/whatever
2. My last marble just rolled out of the bag and I am officially nuts
3. Flashbacks are cool
I think about them often.
Each one different.
I can make an excuse for what I think happened or why I think I saw what I saw for one instance, but I really do not have an explanation that says That Is What Happened, PERIOD.
Truly unexplainable.