austrian winter peas and innoculate

How many folks use innoculate on their peas?

And if so does it really make a difference?

I was thinking of using some but i can't seem to be able to find it around here. but if it makes a difference i'll look harder. :)

Thanks ga spur i planted them last year for the first time and they ate them as fast as they came up. i was thinking about trying planting more and see if i could get them to come up at least a little higher.
But i saw on cooper seed ( i think) where they have an innoculate for them. just wondering?
But if we don't get some rain over here in arkansas i'm not gonna get much to grow. my plots are all disced but they are dust pits! :(

Ga-Spur

Well I think they are already innoculated . Check the bag when you buy them . If they have not been innoculated you will need to do that. I believe they are already are. You could plant the peas with clovers like ladinos,white, Alyce and the early rye grass or with wheat and oats to protect them from being "mowed" down.

FootLongDawg

The only time I planted them, I did not innoculate. They did not come up well at all. Everything else I planted in that plot came up great, Just my opinion, innoculant is cheap insurance. Sure, it is a small bother to do, but I will never plant these peas again without doing it.

SWAMPFOX

I planted some last year without innoculant on new ground and had good results. I planted some iron clay peas last summer and used innoculant on them and they turned out aswesome. I had tons of them and they deer were still feeding on the dried up peas in late November.

Jorge

I am pretty sure that when ever we have planted Austrian Winter Peas, they were pre-inoculated. We have very good success with them, but this year, we only put them in our largest food plots.

E

early riser

My understanding is soil already contains a certain amount of bacteria. It depends on wheather or not your soil has the correct bacteria and levels of bacteria for the legume you are planting to wheather or not the plant does well or not. Also it may not be necessary to innoculate each and every time you plant the crop in later years if a previous innoculation has allowed the correct bacteria to grow and remain in the soil and if the bacteria is already in the soil from a previous planting and use of the correct innoculant at a previous time.

I also have read somewhere that some bacteria are harmful to other bacteria. I wished now I had saved that article as it spoke on which plants not to plant back to back due to this case.

TAKE NOTE: Innoculating or NOT innoculating the seed does NOT directly effect how or wheather or not the seed will germinate. I expect the seed to germinate wheather or not the seed is or is not innoculated. What the innoculate does is put the necessary bacteria and AMOUNTS OF BACTERIA around the seed in the soil to allow the legume to grow the nodules on the roots which allows the peas (plants/legumes) to manufacture their own fertilizer (NITROGEN). The plants with the nodules from being able to grow them by having the correct batceria (innoculant/bacteria) in the soil, will grow better with less fertilizer applied by you because they are able to manufacture it themselves from the oxygen in the air. Not only that, but by innoculating, you allow the plant to manufacture nitrogen which also helps build the chemical levels of nitrogen back into the soil the plant is growin in. Thus liminiting the amount of fertilizer needed, and allowing the plant itself to grow better by it producing it's own nitrogen.

Legums will germinate and come up without innoculate, but how they grow is dependant on wheather or not the bacteria is present in the soil to allow them to produce their own nitrogen.

early riser

Last edited:
Thanks ER ............i may have to read it twice or more to really soak it all up. ;)
I am going to stop and get me a 50 lbs bag of them and see if they work better this year. i have expanded the two plots i am going to put them in so maybe spreading them out will help.
But if we don't get some rain over here in arkansas i ain't gonna get anything planted. my plots are dust bowls! it's the 20th of the month and we have NO rain for the month. i don't remember when it rained in august last.
Hey send some of that hurricane rain over here! :D

Black Lab

ausssy winter peas

What do you guys use to keep the inoculant on the peas?
I did not have very good luck last year using it dry but I also think I planted them to deep.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
You can use a small spray bottle filled with water or sugar water and real lightly spray the seeds in a large plastic tub before you apply the inoculant and then mix up well. I used creek water rather than clorinated water, though some folks use distilled water also.