Avg price to re-barrel a rifle

Mattval

Hey to all the smiths out there. What is an avg price to re-barrel a rifle in another caliber? I do like obscure cartridges. I have a list. I was thinking it may be quick er and may cost less to just buy a common caliber and re-barrel it to what I want.
What say you?

Clemson

Very approximate numbers:

Barrel blank (Douglas, Shilen, comparable quality) $250
Installation labor (Thread, chamber, cut, crown, headspace) $325-400
Reblue barreled action (Polish or beadblast, hot caustic blue bath) $150
If it is a truly exotic caliber, add cost of rental reamer and gauges: $60
or cost of new reamer: $200

Often it is less expensive and faster to use a stainless steel barrel so that bluing is avoided. Receiver blueprinting, depending on the action used, can add significant cost. Not usually necessary on hunting rifles, but generally done on precision rifles. If you throw in a new, adjustable trigger (Timney, etc.) add $200 for installed and set trigger.

I hope this helps.

Bill Jacobs

Mattval

Thank you. Gives me something to think about. I was thinking a Rem 700 short action. Rebarrel to 300 Savage.
How about a Ruger American? 6mm Remington, 300 savage?

nmurph

A couple of thoughts- There's nothing wrong with the Ruger American, I have one myself and am very pleased with it. But, if you go to resell it, it will not bring the money a 700 will bring. Also, there is much less aftermarket support to customize and improve the components of the build. Also, non-mainstream calibers are worth less on the resale market.

Clemson

Go with a 700 or even a Model 7 Remington.

Reactions: Dub