Baby Copperhead

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Nothing to be concerned about anymore than normal. The snakes have always been there. Now you just know to be on your guard a bit more. Clean up your yard and make sure there's nothing for them to hide in or under and that's about all you can do.

Redbow

Copperheads are everywhere around our area they love to get into sheds and other out buildings also, usually mice are in there. There are also a few cane break rattlesnakes in the area we live in. Last year a big one was run over just down the road from us. People that saw it were amazed that a big rattler was anywhere near here.

Ray357

AWOL
Found this little 8in guy this morning on my driveway. He was dead from unknown causes but after research stated that copperheads have litters of 5-8 but up to 20, I'm a little concerned...
I used to have a Copperhead problem around my house. Killed them regularly in yard and always chopped up one or two every time I bushhogged field. I found 9 babies on my basement door step one time. I started catching every king snake I could find and turning it loose at house. I think I caught 8 one year. ( However long ago any statute of limitations for harassing non venomous snakes is ran out). Have not seen a Copperhead since. Funny thing is I have not seen a King Snake or evidence of one either, but they did their job.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A good old barn cat will keep them thinned out too.
I think my porch cat got tagged by one a couple weeks ago. Leg swelled all up and he just laid around for a couple days, then the hair fell off part of his leg, looked like fang mark scars. He's about back to normal now.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Just so you understand the copperhead.
It does not travel.
Not for food until it nearly starves.
They instead lye in wait for prey.
So in other words yes the rest of the brood is still nearby and not going anywhere.
Find mama and the babies won’t be born again in your area.
All other snakes that I know of do travel but not the copperhead.
Within 200 yards for life usually.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Just so you understand the copperhead.
It does not travel.
Not for food until it nearly starves.
They instead lye in wait for prey.
So in other words yes the rest of the brood is still nearby and not going anywhere.
Find mama and the babies won’t be born again in your area.
All other snakes that I know of do travel but not the copperhead.
Within 200 yards for life usually.
I don’t know, man. I had one happen up on me turkey hunting one time. I can’t prove he didn’t come from within two hundred yards away but he’s not still there.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I tried to back over one across the street from where I been campin for years. Bout a 3 footer last year that traveled at least 50 yards faster than lightning durin turkey season. I was unable to find him when I looked for him come deer season. Not sure which way he lied in weight.:huh:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I tried to back over one across the street from where I been campin for years. Bout a 3 footer last year that traveled at least 50 yards faster than lightning durin turkey season. I was unable to find him when I looked for him come deer season. Not sure which way he lied in weight.:huh:
He mighta just left.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Son and I picked up one off the road a few years back, fresh kill in the neighborhood. I think the car in front of me ran over it, the blood was still wet. We took it home and skinned because it only got the head, beautiful skin. When we went to skin it my son kept saying it's pregnant, I thought it had just eaten something. He was correct, this is what it was.

1B4B6B63-CA2E-4F37-8FBD-AA17F9320D02.jpeg

893411DC-3F38-434D-9F60-97B2C0B9AE3D.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Son and I picked up one off the road a few years back, fresh kill in the neighborhood. I think the car in front of me ran over it, the blood was still wet. We took it home and skinned because it only got the head, beautiful skin. When we went to skin it my son kept saying it's pregnant, I thought it had just eaten something. He was correct, this is what it was.

View attachment 1078273

View attachment 1078276
Did you take them inside and nurture them until they were ready to slither about on their own? :bounce:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

View attachment 1078273

View attachment 1078276

Great shots, Chief. I skinned a huge diamondback one time that had little ones like that.