Back in Business

Nimrod71

The ducks better be on the look out. I just got me a new Boykin puppy and he will ready to hunt come fall. I have wanted a Boykin for a number of years. I have had Labs since 1972 and they have been some great dogs, but as I have gotten older I kind of wanted a dog for both hunting and lap sitting. A lab is a little much for my lap. My brother in law has a yellow lab that thinks it is a lap dog and let me tell you, when a 100 weigh is on your lap it is hard to get out of the Lazy Boy. Try having a good cold beer with a lab in your lap. My biggest problem with the Boykin is I keep losing him. It is not hard to keep up with a Lab, they a big enough you can just look around and see them. Well let me tell you a Boykin is had to see, they a short and little. Ben can be standing still in the woods and you can not see him. On the brighter side he is one heck of a retriever. He will wear you out retrieving. More on Ben the Boykin as time goes by. I love my little brown dogs.

baddave

i understand about the big dogs, labs . my dog weighs 72 on a good day and that's about 20 too much . my breeder advised she wouldn't get over 65 . my next dog will probably be a lab too but i'm gonna make sure the parents are little . people are ruining labs breeding for big.. that's what people want i guess . bigger is NOT better in hunting dogs, not for me anyway

Attachments

• 20190503_194131.jpg
    20190503_194131.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 10

Nimrod71

My last lab, Sam, was not that big when I got her, but she growed up. Not so much in weight but in size. I bought her from a friend that had a good blood line all registered and bioed. She was to be a chocolate, but there were no chocolates in the litter. So I picked the one that seemed to like me the most. Well let me tell you, she was great. She really made a hunting machine and she was very smart. She worked with all the hand signs and whistle too. She could find birds when other dogs would give up. She was great at finding doves in a cotton patch. She could swim like a fish and run all day. At 6 months I carried her to South Dakota pheasant hunting and boy did she show out. Everyone that saw her up there wanted to buy her. One man offered me $2,500, no sale. Back to her size, I like to duck hunt from my 14 - 36 boat, that is fine with a small dog and two people but when the dog is 24 inches at the shoulder and over 3 ft not counting the tail, that is a lot of dog. Oh well I loved her anyway, I had her for 14 yrs. we hunted and fished many a day. Those were the days. A life and a dog to remember.

Beagles N Boykins

Boykins can be a handful for the first year or so but I’ll never be without one from now on. Ransom has been a joy to train and at 2 he will bring back whatever you can shoot. Once I get his steadiness a bit better he’ll be great.

SC Hunter

My male dog doesn't know how big he is either. He'll retrieve anything and won't let anybody in the yard without permission. He's the best dog I've ever had. He legitimately will sit on the golf cart seat and ride like a human. He's not supposed to be in the bed but my wife spoils him occasionally.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200508-213810_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20200508-213810_Snapchat.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 25