Back up weapons!

RPD#99

I am considering the Smith & Wesson model 642 .38 SPL for backup. Do any of you know antything about it? I like the way it feels, looks and is concealable but I have not shot one. It is a 5 round, hammerless nice piece of work.

What would be some other choices that you would recommend? Some cops recomended the Keltech. I do not want the Keltech (sp). They feel cheap!

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
I have been looking for

another carry gun, and the 642 is one I looked at, I also have just handled one and not shot it.

It is @ 15oz and a reasonably priced gun that feels good, but I have not been able to go with a hammerless I guess I am kinda old fashion with a wheel gun and prefer a hammer on mine ;)

If you shoot one let us know how it shoots :)

leo

Ga-Spur

For a back up gun I would get the lightest on the market. I doubt and hope you will ever have to even draw your service weapon must less a backup. If you do have to draw though ,I can see where you would not want a hammer to snag on your clothing.

M98

Backup

Taurus 850SS is the same size, equal quality, and less expensive than the Smith. If Rome issues Glocks, a compact version of whatever you have is a good idea since the magazine for the holster gun can be used in the compact-it just sticks down below the grip an inch or so. The semiauto is more compact than a revolver as well. I use a Glock 27 for this as backup to a Glock 22.