Bag Target’s and weather

kirby999

I’m thinking of leaving a couple of my bigger bag Targets outside all the time in the weather . I was wondering how they hold up leaving them outside ? Or should I continue to drag them out every time I want to shoot ?
Can you still shoot them if they’re wet ?
or would a couple of 3D Targets hold up better ?

Hillbilly stalker

The suns UV rays kill them after a couple years. The bah starts deteriorating and you have blow thru’s. Won’t last very long, they need protected.

kirby999

The suns UV rays kill them after a couple years. The bah starts deteriorating and you have blow thru’s. Won’t last very long, they need protected.
Thanks , I’ve got one bag that’s over ten years old . I just keep tapping Morrell targets to the front of it to repair it . its kept indoors when not being shot .
since starting back shooting everyday , I’m on my second target face . The first one lasted three months .
guess I’ll keep storing them indoors .

kirby999

I’ve ordered some HME frames for my bag targets .
bought some 6’x8’ HD tarps from Home Depot for $7 and made some slip on covers for them when I’m not shooting . Used pull ties to close up the sides , Making like a big envelope . Just slip them right on the top of stand and all .
I'm using Gorilla tape to attach some Morrell eternity animal target to the bags . Cheaper than 3D target and should last longer .

Hillbilly stalker

If you mount your target bags hanging from bungee cords....they will last a lot longer. Because the bungee flexes and absorbs the impact of the arrow. You won’t blow the back out of your target near as quick. You can get extra covers for a lot of them, or get feed sacks cheap at the feed store. It’s about the same material.

kirby999

My bags are hung from hooks , so they swing a little when hit .
I‘m only shoot 30-40# , most of the time it’s the 30# , so no danger of blowing out the back .
With my oldest Bag target , I’ve shot the center so much that if my arrow hits the right spot In the center , it’ll bounce out . LOL !
When it does that , I lay it on its side and stand on it to break it up a little where the filler has bunched up .
Only penetrates a couple of inches.