Baikal IZH 27EM-IC won't open

bevills1

I have a 20 gauge Baikal IZH 27EM-IC over/under that won't open. Pushing the lever to the right used to allow the gun to open, but now the lever won't move to allow the gun to open. I tried applying Brake Free penetrating oil where the lever rotates and waiting several hours to see if it would free up the lever to open the gun, but the lever still won't budge. Does anybody know the cause or how to fix this problem?

Skeeter XRi

I’m not familiar with a Bakail specifically but I doubt soaking the release lever in oil is going to do much unless there’s visible corrosion. I’d remove the buttstock and see if you can tell what’s binding up the lever.

Good luck with it regardless.
jim

bevills1

According to http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.p...l-Cleaning-of-Baikal-IZH-27-MP-27-O-U-Shotgun there is a tutorial that says there are red preservatives and other stuff in the internals of the Baikal , and the tutorial tells how to remove the nasty stuff. I plan to give this a try if I can obtain a long enough screw driver. Reply #19 on that page says screw driver required must be a minimum of 18 inches. I suspect all that stuff in the internals is likely what's binding up the lever.

Bobby Bigtime

Try giving the hinge pin a good rap with a plastic mallet. A 410 I had as a kid needed that occasionally for the same issue.

JimmieP

chances are the area the lever rotates in is full of crud. Carbon and dirt get in there and that's the one place that never ever sees a cleaning. The stuff builds up like cement and you cant move the lever. OR the spring (which is quite stout) has had something bad happen. That area of the gun is tough to get to. first part in, last part out. You'll have to dis-assemble the beast to find the problem. I've had a few double barrels come in with just that issue. Don't take the hammer springs out unless you have a tool to put them back in with.

Latest posts