Bait questions

Luv2Bowhnt

Two part question.....

1. Is there a proper way to store bait? Meaning should it be refrigerated? I have a small plastic box that I keep my bait in. Is it okay to just leave in there for extended periods of time?
  2. can you experts recommend some good coyote baits?
Thanks!

furtaker

Just keep it cool, dry and out of sunlight and it will be fine. I just keep my baits and lures in a little container in my basement. They will keep like that for a long, long time.

I've had pretty good luck with natural baits like chicken livers, gizzards, and turkey parts. Caven's Hiawatha Valley and Mark June's Widowmaker are pretty good commercial baits. Caven's Canine Force is an excellent food lure.

Just remember that ants will get all over your baits this time of year. Lures might work better for you right now.

Doug B.

Furtaker is right about storing bait. If you have any lure that has a skunk smell then you might want to wrap it pretty good...........like three or four or even five times.

As far as commercial baits Hiawatha Valley and Predator Bait Plus from Cavins is good. Top Dog from Hoosier Trapping Supply is a good one. Carmen's Bushwhacker is another good one. There are a lot of good ones but those are the ones that I probably use the most. I know Furtaker likes Mark June's Widowmaker and it works for him. It evidently works for a lot of people cause he sells a lot of it. But I have never had any luck with it. I will have to look and see but I think I still have some of it that I never use any more cause I didn't get any results. If I still have it I will let you know and I will give it to you for you to try.

sportsman94

Cletis richards apple road predator bait is a top notch one for me. Bobcat or horse base. Anything by keg creek is good as well

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
The ants are gonna get all in your food bait now, as FT said.

Even in the cold, I have had much better results catching coyotes with scents only.

Keeping it very simple, with only a couple drops of Yote urine, and a very small twig dipped in lure.

The ones that have done well for me are:

Cavens' Yodel Dog
Cavens' Predator Frenzy
Southern Snares Double Ugly
Southern Snares Dirty Rat

I have no opinion about which is best, because all have worked, and these are the ones I started with.

The only food lures I have tried are Cavens' Bobcat Chunk and Southern Snares Spiked Mice.

Down South, ants are ALWAYS a possibility, and I have caught more possums and coons where I tried food lures.

This has led me to the near conclusion that I VERY MUCH prefer two drops of pee, and a dipped twig to trying to make a food set that's probably gonna get tore up anyway.

Ha ha... Y'all listen to me the rookie talkin' like I know something... ?

Luv2Bowhnt

guys thank you for your responses. I'm a beginner and caught my first coyote last summer. put out 6 sets yesterday and one had been sprung this morning. I'm thinking maybe a deer or hog?? Anyway I used some Hiawatha Valley that I had from last year. It had been sitting in that box since last year under my equipment shed. Thanks again and maybe I'll catch something this weekend. Will post pictures if I do.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
guys thank you for your responses. I'm a beginner and caught my first coyote last summer. put out 6 sets yesterday and one had been sprung this morning. I'm thinking maybe a deer or hog?? Anyway I used some Hiawatha Valley that I had from last year. It had been sitting in that box since last year under my equipment shed. Thanks again and maybe I'll catch something this weekend. Will post pictures if I do.

I promise you that the HV is fine, even if it made you retch when you opened it.

Just another possibility for you to think about in favor of some scent only sets:

They are raising pups, and if they run across a "stranger predator", it's gonna drive em nuts, and they will HAVE to mark the spot themselves....

Pinch his foot, man!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
You are a great student of nature. You have proved yourself in the trapping game. You have experience under your belt. You are just as qualified to give advice as anybody else on this forum. Everybody enjoys your post. Don't sell yourself short!!!;)

'Preciate the kind words, Doug...

I just rattled off that response, and right before I hit Post Reply, it kinda struck me funny that I was doing it in a room full of such Strong Company...:LOL:

Just goes to show that you guys here have taught me well...:cool:

As much as I burned this forum up when I started, I figger I better try to help if I get the chance...;)

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I just leave my bait in my bait bucket hanging in my shed . It still stinks just as bad every time I use it . But I usually don’t buy much at a time and it doesn’t last long . I’m fairly new and found a combination that works good for me . I use Hiawatha valley and some dirty rat lure and fox pee . I’ve kept it simple , dirt hole with sheeps wool , bait , little lure on a stick thrown in the bushes and usually a squirt of fox pee in the middle of the road to make sure I get there attention . I’m about to experiment with some liquid bait for this time of the year

sportsman94

Home brews are very fun to experiment with. I’m trying to dabble in it as we speak. Testing some different bases and going to mix different ingredients and do some camera testing to really try and build a quality bait/lure. I honestly probably have enough bought lure to last me a lifetime as is, but just love trying new stuff. That’s why I continue to buy more every year and still want to make some. I’m going to try to shift this year to more natural baits including fresh livers from deer.

Railroader hit the nail on the head with the stranger predator. Gland lures and urine should do good this time of year and if you can make them want to pee on something you should have them.

Good on you for getting after them right now. I have the desire, but just haven’t found the sign I want to set on. I did check a spot where I dumped a dead beaver last week and it was tore up from buzzards and the other scavengers. Did see a coyote track or two around it so I have half a mind to go try to catch that dog!

furtaker

Home brews are very fun to experiment with. I’m trying to dabble in it as we speak. Testing some different bases and going to mix different ingredients and do some camera testing to really try and build a quality bait/lure. I honestly probably have enough bought lure to last me a lifetime as is, but just love trying new stuff. That’s why I continue to buy more every year and still want to make some. I’m going to try to shift this year to more natural baits including fresh livers from deer.

Railroader hit the nail on the head with the stranger predator. Gland lures and urine should do good this time of year and if you can make them want to pee on something you should have them.

Good on you for getting after them right now. I have the desire, but just haven’t found the sign I want to set on. I did check a spot where I dumped a dead beaver last week and it was tore up from buzzards and the other scavengers. Did see a coyote track or two around it so I have half a mind to go try to catch that dog!
I've always wanted to put a camera on video over different sets (with no trap) just to see how the animals react. Probably a neat idea, but I just haven't done it yet. Maybe one day.

mossyoakpro

I have the best luck with liquid baits in the hot weather...ants don't seem to bother it very much at all. Flat sets are really good this time of year with some gland/urine for me. Best of luck!!

Hillbilly stalker

Any of yall tried this yet ? It would eliminate the ant problems. Ive watched several videos and people say they have at least tripled their success. $15. Yall need to see some of the videos. Its ruff on bobcats and yotes.
KillSqueak_300x.jpg

Doug B.

Any of yall tried this yet ? It would eliminate the ant problems. Ive watched several videos and people say they have at least tripled their success. $15. Yall need to see some of the videos. Its ruff on bobcats and yotes.
KillSqueak_300x.jpg
I'll have to watch the videos. I saw this product on some of the online catalogs but I thought it was just another gimmick. I will have to check it out. It might be worth having one or two!