Bait

Shook

If you’re deer hunting over bait and a bear comes out is it still legal to take the bear? In north Georgia. Thanks

GAbullHunter

Best get out at start stalking if you want to make that a legal kill, even thou you are not baiting for bear the food is there an they will come. But that is were sportsmanship comes into play. Even thou some may say thats a gray zone. In my book its clear thou.

Christian hughey

Yeah, not a great idea to take legal advice on a forum unless it's from bbond, or killmaster they are two of the nicest informative wardens I have met, you will run across them on here.

GAbullHunter

Best get out at start stalking if you want to make that a legal kill, even thou you are not baiting for bear the food is there an they will come. But that is were sportsmanship comes into play. Even thou some may say thats a gray zone. In my book its clear thou.
maybe not. A man's grit would really be tested if a big bear came to his deer bait. It's what you do when no one can see you, that's makes you who you really are.

Yep

Rabun

Illegal, but a record harvest coming the same year baiting is legal statewide is not a coincidence.

Several dynamics working this year to increase the harvest...1) a higher awareness of bear opportunities...more out there hunting bear, 2) low mast crop...results in higher than average bear kills due to increased travel/foraging and 3) as you said baiting...which killing a bear over is illegal and who would do that. I would be curious to see the bear kill data starting 2012 - 2017 and see how 2013 compared to other years. And then look at 2018...which I'm sure is a pretty big spike.

PappyHoel

If you have bears and you feed deer, you won’t see deer on the feeder. The bears will tear it up and stay till all the corn is gone. They will run the deer off too and stink up the area.

Speaking from experience and we had more than one 50 gallon feeder torn out of trees. Joe knows what I’m talking about.

KingThree

I stopped putting corn out beginning of sept because the increased bear activity/lack of deer frequenting the property. We have pictures of 8 different bear on the property from the summer til nov 27th(last I checked) Didn’t have one picture or sign of bear on the property last year.