Baiting Question........(One simple question)????

H

HT2

I have my stance on it as everybody else does.....

No issue's there.......

It seems to me (and I could be wrong) but the majority of the "PRO-BAITERS" seem to be in the Southern part of the state.....(Not all are, but it just seems to be that way to me).

Why is that????

I don't hunt in South Georgia, so I'm a little ignorant to how the hunting is down there.....Is is that difficult to hunt deer and get them confinded to an area where you can consistently hunt them????

Enlighten me............ :) :) :)

dxydawg

i read in one of the other threads on here where someone said that hunting deer over a good soybean field is just as good if not better that hunting over a pile of corn, so they see hunting over corn as no big advantage. just what i remember reading as i have no idea because i have never hunted in south georgia.

bull0ne

Banned
Oh i hate it when this happens......like a moth to a flame :bounce:

I will try to enlighten......the reason why the southern zone is more '' corn tolerant'' than the northern zone.

Just the facts, not my personal opinion and not listed in any particular order.

1.Thicker terrain with less visibility, the lower coastal plain is much worse than the upper costal plain,much of the lower costal plain is industrial forest, nothing but pines and wetlands that seasonally flood, little or no room for plots.

2.Starting in 1986 the government paid farmers to plant certain types of feilds in pines, little or no room for plots.

3.Farming practices have gotten away from crops deer readily eat, cotton is the main crop.

4.Nonresident hunters come from their home state where baiting is legal and socially accepted and hunt over bait here, its hard to change a way of life.

5.If anyone finds out that the neighboring hunters are using corn other hunters start to use it also, to level the playing field, it starts a domino effect that moves from that tract onto adjoining tracts.

6.With one DNR ranger per county its hard to enforce baiting laws unless they are tipped off to the illegal activities.

7.Baiting has gone on for so long in some clubs,families and groups that through a period of time it has become socially accepted in those circles.

8. Deer are baited because some do not respect them as a game animal but more as a pest.

9.Deer are baited to keep neighboring hunters from having the chance to shoot them.

10.Those who don't have room for plots use bait as a subtitute to compete with neighboring hunters plots.

Duff

Good question Tim. I have wondered the same thing myself.

reylamb

Tim, just to play devil's advocate here:

I don't hunt in South Georgia, so I'm a little ignorant to how the hunting is down there.....Is is that difficult to hunt deer and get them confinded to an area where you can consistently hunt them????
And you need food plots why?????????? No need to answer that one.........

JoeKnowsBows

Guess they figure shooting a deer while it's eating is pretty much the same no matter what it's eating. And they may feel that if someone doesn't want to do it they don't have to. Hey you know what they may be on to something there.

Duff

rey,

I don't think Tim was being sarcastic with his question. Or at least I wasn't with my reply. I hunt in S. Ga a few times but I'm not comparing N or S. I honestly wondered why most of the votes that are pro baiting come from S Ga. I assume it is because the heard #'s are more abundant and the larger farms down that way???????

H

HT2

Rey........

reylamb said:
Tim, just to play devil's advocate here:

And you need food plots why?????????? No need to answer that one.........
You ain't got to be a smart-allic...........

It was a serious question and I was just curious......

If you don't hunt in South Georgia, then move on.......If you do......Let me know your opinion .........

Pretty simple question........ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

reylamb

Sorry Tim, sometimes I just can't help myself.

I know in the lowcountry of SC, the number 1 reason listed is pines. It is alomst impossible to find oak tress down that way, so folks use corn to replace acorns. Many of the paper companies down that way will not allow the planting of food plots, so in their absence, corn is used.

Possibly the same reasoning in S Georgia.......

CPiper

We do too have pine trees in South Carolina!!

frankwright

It surprises me that folks think baiting is the devil and will buy some $20 dollar an ounce "lure" to spray so that when a deer comes to smell it, they can shoot him!:huh:

Lostoutlaw

Tim I don't know the answer ya lookin for cause I always wondered bout the dog huntin. And Frank ya Hit the nail on the head, I have always wondered bout that one for sure :crazy:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
To my knowledge there have been no cases of "lure" harming the resource.

However, it could be possible that some of the "lures" could be detrimental as the processing and packaging of these products is wholy unregulated.

For all we know that stuff could be dog pee.

General Lee

Folks, It has a lot to do with the deep division that exists between the "rural folk",and the suburban "weekend warrior".Now once you get down around below Dooly County and all,hunting clubs are not as common as they are through the peidmont region and all.These lands are primarily hunted by the owners,family members and friends.These folks don't adhere as willingly to rules set forth by a group of State officials in Atlanta concerning THEIR PROPERTY. Not trying to incite a riot here,just telling the truth..........

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
So rural people are "folk" and suburban people are "warriors"?

I think you have pointed out a definate symptom.

H

HT2

General Lee..........

Yeah, that's when my best hunting usually occurs........

After the "WEEKEND WARRIORS" go home!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

That's what we call 'em too.........But, they are good hunters......They just hunt on the weekends only though...... :)

General Lee

Jeff, You are being too picky,once again not being able to see the forest for the trees.We can change the labels to hicks,or rednecks for the country people and weekend warriors,or them boys from Atlanta for you suburb dwellers to even things out.Tim,I'm glad to see the point of my post was not lost on all....... :flag: