Baiting Question

tallchris83

Trapping is legal in certain WMAs and the Chattahoochee National Forest with a Commercial Trapper's permit. But baiting is illegal on WMAs and National Forests. Is trapping an exception or can I only use scent attractants?

Heath

Pretty sure trapping is illegal on WMA’s except by special permit only. Could be wrong, havnt read it in awhile.

Heath

I was wrong, says there is a list of WMA’s where it’s legal. Does that still mean you need the special DNR permit?

buckpasser

With fur prices like they are they should welcome licensed trappers with open arms when not allowing an activity that might conflict with it.

Heath

Just checked it, it gives the list of WMAs allowed for trapping and they are by special issued permits from DNR. The others are off limits.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
It’s illegal to use bait to hunt raccoons statewide but it’s legal to use bait to get them to a trap

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Thats the problem with the Ga trapping regs.

It does not mention the use of bait on public lands.
27-3-63

It shall be unlawful to

(2) Set, place, or bait any trap for the purpose of taking any wildlife upon the land or in the waters adjoining the land of any other person, except during the open trapping season for such wildlife, and then only after obtaining the written consent of the owner of the land, which written consent shall be carried upon the trapper's person while engaged in trapping;

The state owns the property therefore if they give permission it’s legal to bait it

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Except there is this:

I guess this only applies to hunting?

I guess you can’t troll the deer hunting forum about bait anymore so you started up here ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Thats the problem with the Ga trapping regs.

It does not mention the use of bait on public lands.
Sounds like u plan on coming to Ga and help us out with these coyotes on some of our beautiful public land , If so make sure to use bait !!! It works better .