Bald Ridge Creek Report w/pic

Scout'nStripers

I've been fishing up on the north end most of the week, but came back down to the south end today and just fished the creek from 10 till 2. The water temp is still holding at about 48 and the fish seemed more active today than the last 2 days. When I first got out this morning I saw what looked to be sporadic bait kill. These were 1-2 inch herring and they were rolling, skittering and dying on the surface back in the back of the creek. The buck bass were getting after them. I caught a couple dinks throwing a light weighted fluke bait.

I went out to the main creek and started working pockets and rocky points and outcroppings. Tried the cranks and a couple other things that have been working but no luck. I saw a nice striper chasing bait into a small cut so I followed him back into the cut and tried to catch him on a blueback jerkbait but I think he seen me and booked it out of the cut. There are some very big single stripers in the pockets and small bays of the creek right now. If you find the bait, there's probably going to be fish around. The big stripers will give themselves away from time to time by rolling and chasing bait up to the surface, but you have to watch close. Most of the bigger stripers I saw were cruising mid channel so if I was pulling boards and freelines, I'd pull them right down the center of the bay, cut or channel. Only one out of four fish made the highlight reel today, but she was a brute. The water is pretty clear in the creek so I threw a translucent blue jerkbait for a while and caught her on the translucent in a few feet of water. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• IMAG0548.jpg
    IMAG0548.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:

EZ Spin

Nice report and great spot! Good job man, keep the reports coming. I appreciate you including details like water temperatures and your detailed observations. I always can count on you for a great report and also some "outside of the box" ideas. Most people will be jigging a spoon in 45 to 60 foot with water temps under 50 degrees but there are always some shallow fish some where. Thanks! Eric

Cletus T.

That’s a pretty girl right there….great colors on that spot!

Thanks for the detailed report man!

Ahab

Thanks for the report, that's a beautiful toad there!

Scout'nStripers

Thanks guys. These bigger bass up in the shallows have some pretty colors right now. They don't have a bunch of fight so a good 6lb fluorocarbon is perfect.
Nice report and great spot! Good job man, keep the reports coming. I appreciate you including details like water temperatures and your detailed observations. I always can count on you for a great report and also some "outside of the box" ideas. Most people will be jigging a spoon in 45 to 60 foot with water temps under 50 degrees but there are always some shallow fish some where. Thanks! Eric
Thanks for the kind words Eric. Hope the knee is getting better.

Scout'nStripers

Great report and nice toad!! What do you think she weighed?
I'm not sure but maybe she would have went close to 4? It just seems like I've been finding a lot of 3-5lbers over the past few weeks. I know most of the fish are at a deeper depth right now but there still seems to be a few bigger fish cruising the shallows in the afternoons.

Scout'nStripers

What causes those bait kills?
I think it was cold water. Where I was at in the back of the creek, the water temp was 45-46. I didn't get there till 10am so it was probably colder earlier in the morning. Once the water temps drops below 45 and is sustained below 45, that's when you start seeing bigger shad kills. In this case it was small bluebacks.

brett30030

Great stuff Jim. Once you get water temps below 45 your sure to see some bait die-off.