Banana Waterlilly

ghadarits

Are Banana water lillys any different than the flowering Lilly pads growing naturally in my beaver swamps? We have some type of water lilly that the ring necks like so I’m wondering if the banana variety is any more appealing to ducks than what’s already growing. What’s growing could be the same thing I’m just not sure.

Mexican Squealer

It’s probably not Banana but if the ducks like it it’s gold! Got any pics? Don’t know much about Lilly’s except the ducks love the tubers, seed and the aquatic invertebrates it hostes. I have been going back and forth about planting some and have it on the “to do” list. You can contact Jim Hills in Georgetown and he will give you all the info you could want on BWL

across the river

Are Banana water lillys any different than the flowering Lilly pads growing naturally in my beaver swamps? We have some type of water lilly that the ring necks like so I’m wondering if the banana variety is any more appealing to ducks than what’s already growing. What’s growing could be the same thing I’m just not sure.

The white ones are likely Nymphaea odorants, verses the banana water Lillie’s, which are Nymphae Mexicana. Similar, but the Banana Water Lillie’s will colonize a lot faster and typically have a larger bumpy looking root. People plant the bananas verses the other for the simple fact that you get more bang for your buck in terms of growth and food availability. I think the banana will grow in a little deeper water as well. I hunted some ponds with both and the banana water lillies are usually a lot thicker than the white ones, especially if the pond has some size.

ghadarits

It’s probably not Banana but if the ducks like it it’s gold! Got any pics? Don’t know much about Lilly’s except the ducks love the tubers, seed and the aquatic invertebrates it hostes. I have been going back and forth about planting some and have it on the “to do” list. You can contact Jim Hills in Georgetown and he will give you all the info you could want on BWL
I can’t believe out of all the pictures and videos I have of these places I have not one single clear picture of the lillys blooming.

Mexican Squealer

My favorite spot of all time is a Lilly pond in La...cool spot. Several hundred acre slough full of all kinds of natural Lilly’s that was surrounded by about 10,000 acres of rice. The variety of ducks and the fact that they came in all day long made it special. It’s got a new owner now....?

27metalman

We have lilies, warts, and lotus. Wish all of them were gone. Ponds look good now, but come mid summer the bass and bream fishing is awful tough. Late summer fishing is out of the question. I'd say be mindful of what you do... Could be an issue for you down the road. I can't control my water, so I spray, I rake, I pluck, and I pray it doesn't get worse.

ghadarits

We have lilies, warts, and lotus. Wish all of them were gone. Ponds look good now, but come mid summer the bass and bream fishing is awful tough. Late summer fishing is out of the question. I'd say be mindful of what you do... Could be an issue for you down the road. I can't control my water, so I spray, I rake, I pluck, and I pray it doesn't get worse.
Good to know. If I do plant them we have a couple swamps and water storage ponds that I would be trying them in.