Banded Mallard

across the river

There is a 99.99% chance that any mallard nesting in Georgia is going to be feral, so it is most likely a Frost band or from some preserve. There shouldn't be any mallard nesting on Jackson Lake, or any other lake in Georgia for that matter.

jrmcc

Some mallards migrate. Some are resident same as the geese. Not sure why you feel a resident bird wouldn't nest on the lake of there choosing. I'm in North Georgia and there are ducks and geese that will nest in the coming months and will raise young.

Mexican Squealer

Some mallards migrate. Some are resident same as the geese. Not sure why you feel a resident bird wouldn't nest on the lake of there choosing. I'm in North Georgia and there are ducks and geese that will nest in the coming months and will raise young.

Feral mallards chicken ducks tamies

across the river

There is no such thing as a resident mallard. If you have a mallard breeding and nesting in Georgia, it is feral and came from someone’s pond, a preserve, or is the offspring of some that did. “Resident” geese are essentially feral as well, as they are just offspring of what we’re essentially tammie geese released by the state 30-40 years ago. Any true descendants of wild birds are migratory. Even wooducks and hooded mergansers that actually do nest and hatch in Georgia migrate, and the birds that you have here in January aren’t the ones hatched here. “Resident” birds are feral birds. I’m not saying don’t shoot them, I’m just saying the chances of that being a federal band from Canada or South Dakota are slim to none.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The mallards that nest here in the south are not wild birds, they're feral descendants of pen-raised ducks. It is normal for wild wood ducks to nest here, for example, but not true wild, native mallards. They are migratory.

27metalman

What would you call Ringers that are still here in middle Ga as of this past weekend? I'm thinking they are not leaving and are going to stay... you flush em' and they circle and come right back. Got about a dozen or so.

Hunter/Mason

My neighbor just called me and told me where not to mow because she’s on a nest. My brother was fishing a pond in Monroe Co. last week and there were 3 pairs of GWT, on that pond still, and they wouldn’t leave.

across the river

What would you call Ringers that are still here in middle Ga as of this past weekend? I'm thinking they are not leaving and are going to stay... you flush em' and they circle and come right back. Got about a dozen or so.

I would call them running late, but they will be gone soon. When ducks are nesting they don't run in groups.

Last edited:

Mexican Squealer

See above message...they will disappear any day now. I just had several hundred blue wings leave my place last week. Saw 60 bluebills I watch on a pond they come to every year leave in the last three days...only exception I’ve noted is a clutch of blue wings that mamma never left Taylor county ( Mccants mill pond right on the side of 19) I hear of blue wings raising on a few coastal (SC) plantations (very small numbers) but those ringers will soon pull out and head north....takes them no time to get where they are going. Then hopefully they make plenty of babies and bring them back out way. I’ve actually videoed bluewings in my Taylor county impoundment in the first week of July. Couple of days and then they moved on...

at one time we had a spring duck season . It was before my time and its just like everyone has said. Those birds are headed north soon.

across the river

I guess it is because of all the rain and the high water being all up into the grass and trees, but I have seen more tammie, or I guess I should say feral, mallard pairs with babies this year than I think I ever have. They are all over the place.