Bare shaft

Mountainbuck

What do you do if your not consistent enough to bare shaft tune? I am having nock left, nock right, nock high, nock low and a few straight... gets frustrating quick

JB in GA

What kind of target are you shooting? I like yellowjacket bags, but usually shoot them until the filling becomes loose and will let arrows kick around on impact.

Mountainbuck

Use fletched arrows and tune your broadheads to group with your field points.BTW don't pay any attention to how the nock is in the target bare shafting.All you want is the bare shaft and the fletched arrows to group together.
I
I am trying to find correct spine. That’s what I should do first right?

rnfarley

you may have better luck starting with paper over bare shaft. you can get a roll of brown packing paper at walmart for like $5 in the shipping area and just run a string through it, tie off to a branch, and unroll the bottom to the ground and put a rock on it. then put your target 4-5 feet behind it and make sure you're square, shoot through that and gauge nock left/right/high/low and start adjusting nock height and point weight to see if the adjustments are changing the tears in the paper or not. if not - it's probably your bow hand and/or torque on the string on release.

This is a very handy tuning guide from Easton that I've used many times: https://eastonarchery.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/TuningGuideEaston.pdf

Todd Cook

What do you do if your not consistent enough to bare shaft tune? I am having nock left, nock right, nock high, nock low and a few straight... gets frustrating quick
How long have you been shooting? You said "I'm not consistent enough". Is it because you're new at this or because you have form issues that need to be corrected? If you are new, get a solid foundation of shooting technique for 6 months or so before you worry about tuning. You'll just frustrate yourself otherwise. If you're not new but are not consistent, there is a form issue there that needs to be addressed. Either way you have to have the solid form before you can tune. HOW you shoot is not as important as do you shoot the same way every time.

Todd Cook

Use fletched arrows and tune your broadheads to group with your field points.BTW don't pay any attention to how the nock is in the target bare shafting.All you want is the bare shaft and the fletched arrows to group together.
Spot on. As a hunter you want that broadhead flying right, and where you're looking. If they'll fly with your field points, they're tuned.

sawtooth

If you’re getting frustrated stop bareshafting. What fatboy said is a good start. Bareshafting is a good tool, but your form must be very good for it to work right. Some people have good form. Some do not. I for one, do not. Your goal is good arrow flight. There’s more than one way to skin that cat. Tell us this info:
1) what bow?
2) # @ your draw length
3) weight of point?
4) arrow length
5) shelf or rest
6) what arrow material?
Tell us this and I bet we can get you real close.

Allen Oliver

Hello my friend! Folks, when this one says he doesn't have good form it's sort of like RC saying he's not a very good shot :). Critters are very afraid of both of them!
Nothing wrong with his form. It works for him just ask all those critters he has taken. That speaks more to me than perfect form. Or should I say what someone else says is perfect form.

JB in GA

You will get a lot of good answers here, just don’t start the way I did. About the year 2000 I got tired of the gadgetry with my 65lb compound. I walked into a Pawn Shop on my way home from work and walked out with a 60lb Martin/Howatt Hunter. It took two more bows and about eight years before I could shoot that thing...?

Stump Shooter

Getting to technical right now if you give Sawtooth that information he asked for he will get you in the ballpark so you can start shooting and having fun. Knowledge will come with time and failures. Grip it and rip it have fun, simple as that.

Dennis

Where do you live? There people that can help you in person a whole lot better that guessing your shooting style and setup on your bow. I would be glad to help if we could get together and let me see you shoot. There may be folks that live closer to you that could help. In just a few minutes someone could cut your learning curve in half.

hambone76

I’ve also noticed that shooting with a draw check installed on my bow helped me with bareshaft tuning. I would not loose the arrow until it clicked.

Mountainbuck

I have been shooting for about 9 months. Shooting currently #40 Bear Montana. B55 string. .500 spine gold tip traditionals. Split finger with glove. I have been trying 150-275 grain field points.

I would say it’s form issue and I shoot cross eye dominate so I can’t see the tip of the arrow just the target.

Thanks guys so much for all the responses and I live in Chatsworth, Ga