Bareshafting woodies

Clipper

I have read and also learned from my own experience that trying to tune wood arrows by the bareshaft planning method is an exercise in futility. Unless the arrow is already tuned to hit the target straight it will break. When I bought my first turkey broadheads the manufacturer suggested testing them by shooting into an old pillow hung from a line stretched between two trees. I decided to see if this would work with a wood arrow.
I have my setup close (about 18") to my Styrofoam backstop which is stopping the arrow after it hits the pillow. I pulled this one out a bit so the angle of impact would be evident in the picture. As you can see my arrow is hitting a little nock left. It is also a little nock high. I did this several times and the results were about the same, with some being more nock left than this one. This tells me the arrow is shooting a little weak.wood arrow in pillow.jpg
This arrow is from a batch of Douglas Fir arrows I got at the 2017 TBG Banquet and am just now getting around to finishing. They were supposed to be spined 45-50 but I wanted to make sure I could get them to shoot off my 45# Browning Wasp before I applied finish. I suspect that once I get them finished, apply a wrap and fletchings they will be real close. I will fine tune them thru paper as my last step.

Clipper

If they still shoot weak after wrapping and fletching, then shortening in small increments is the next step.