Bark and E collars ?

Carl4th

If you have a bark collars on your dogs, and then before hunting put on a shock collar on them, has anyone ever had trouble with dogs being tentative to bark? If so what can you do to help that along? Mine will still bark it just seems like they hold back a bit. (Maybe it’s all in my head)

Hillbilly stalker

I have never had a problem with it before. But my project pup I'm working with now, I believe its made a difference. Most of the pups I fool with are treeing in the woods before they need a bark collar at the house. She has been a little later starting than I'm used too, but she's on tract now. I've watched her go up on a dozen trees in the woods and not let out a peep. Alot start that way, but smart as she is, I think she was concerned with that bark collar, because squirrels timber over her kennel every day. She about has it figured out tho, some dogs are just softer than others, best thing to do in my opinion is just hunt the hair off them. Ive given her a little more than normal verbal praise to get her over the hurtle....if its actually a hurtle. She's the first one Ive seen it effect. All the other knot heads Ive fooled with, don't even blink an eye at it.

Al Medcalf

I won't put a bark collar on any of mine. Friend of mine put one on a Walker female and she quit opening on track and barking treed. Luckily I don't have close neighbors and my kennels are far enough from the house to keep my wife from fussing

crackerdave

Seems to me that if you only use the bark collar in the kennel,and make a big deal out of taking the collar off when it's time to load up and go hunting that they would get the idea after a while.

IF Take the bark collar of an put a track an train on they think its the same ,and it can make them run with out barking.try running a radio to drown out the surround noises. I think that might help you with it.

4x4

When my dog sees his tracking/shock collar, he gets excited. He knows its time to hunt. The way I hunt, the dog is used for flushing game, not pursuing. That is the job of the Harris's hawk.
I had a problem with my fiest/terrier running up on my hawk while he was on a rabbit. Zip(the hawk)is intimidated by the dog's size and we lost a few rabbits before I found a way to correct the problem. A training collar. The first time it was used, Commander was running towards the screaming rabbit Zip had caught. I toned him and immediately zapped him on a low setting and he stopped in his tracks. Once I was able to get my hands on the rabbit and dispatch it, I always cut the front shoulder off and give it to Commander as a reward. I do the same with squirrels too. In 2 seasons now he has only been zapped once. When he hears the tone he knows to stop and come directly to me. We have a lot more rabbit catches now that Zip does not have to worry about the dog running in on him.
It has never made him not bark when game is being flushed.

Hillbilly stalker

you can not punish a dog for barking and then expect it to bark when you want it to.
I respectfully disagree.I've had over a dozen squirrels dogs that I've had to use a bark collar on at the house , take them hunting get with a tracking/ training collar on them and have absolutely no problem at all with them. They are a lot smarter than people think. They learn to be quiet in the pen and open in the woods.