Barking a Squirrel

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
There were countless men on the frontier that were just as good or better woodsmen than Daniel Boone. That’s about all I can say about that.
Squirrels brains were never on my plate. I just wasn’t that hungry I reckon.
If it's not a type of meat that makes up a muscle, I will pass with pleasure. Pipes, filters, lites, thinking organs...... Nope

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
If it's not a type of meat that makes up a muscle, I will pass with pleasure. Pipes, filters, lites, thinking organs...... Nope
I will save the heart and livers out of all my deer to make a high energy jerky snack for my dog. He absolutely loves them.

Anvil Head

That was David Crockett that grinned critters and varmints down, not Boone.

Boone was a good woodsman and where his luck came in was when The Shawnee didn`t kill him for breaking treaties and trespassing on tribal hunting grounds. And getting his brother in law killed, his oldest son cut to pieces, his wife having a daughter by his brother while he was off on a couple of years long hunting trip, and getting saved by a truly better man, Simon Kenton.

History honored the wrong man.
Agreed, but then Ol Simon wasn't a stinking politician.

I tried barking a few back when I hunted most the time with my powder gun. Yeah it works, but as mentioned above, you might wind up picking up a "hot" one. Just as easy to make the head shot. That way you don't get all scratched up trying to keep him from your jugular.
It's really a good thing them tree rats don't know how mean they could be. You can't hang by your feet to pull nuts and cones, jump 15' from tree to tree, or gnaw through a hickory nut. All they'd have to do is ambush you, jump on your neck and chew your brains out. Kinda scary if you give it a think.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
If Boone can be credited with anything it’s the sense to round up and convince a group of long hunters and needed craftsmen to follow him on the wilderness trail. Without them KY history would have been very different. Their names are here on the national memorial.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Deer heart is good as a sandwich meat. Fry it up good and brown, chip it up and put it on a good grilled bun with your favorite condiments.

GeorgiaBob

I have heard of it, but I have never done it. I just lay the crosshairs on the bridge of their nose and there is no meat wasted
Yes it do. A .54 with 50 grs of 3f will make their head disappear.

Daniel Boone could also “grin down a bear”. I ain’t tried that one either. If a fellow is good enough shot to bark a squirrel, he’s good enough to just shoot it in the head also. :biggrin2: . I squirrel hunt a right smart, take my word for it, you don’t want to pick up a hot one. It don’t take long to look at him……it’s just tuff to turn him loose.:rofl:. I’ve heard of people barking squirrels my whole life, ain’t never seen it,bullets cost too much and if you hit him you mite get 2 hind legs outta the deal. Makes for great campfire talk tho.

Clearly, some folks do not appreciate the delicate flavor of skillet fried squirrel brains in brown gravy!:biggrin3:

That really IS a thing. And it ain't half bad.

I haven't even tried to bark a tree rat, but a friend's dad had a special talent for taking squirrels without damaging the meat or smashing up their head. He was also the ultimate Arkansas back country cook. His rabbit stew was a treasure, but Joe and I (we were adults at the time) would regularly beg for those squirrel brains. It usually cost us a tank of gas, a few hours cleaning all his guns, and convincing our wives to make side dishes and desert. And they were more than worth the price!

Good memories.

Merry Christmas, Y'all

deermaster13

I love squirrel brains. I always cooked the head without the eyeballs with the rest of the squirrel in some dumplings. Then take the head out and whack the top of its head with a spoon. The top of its head will pull off then and the brains will come right out.
That's how my grandpa taught me how to do it. Always with dumplings. Never remember him frying them with heads on.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Again.... Only muscular varieties of meat for me. Not frowning you y'all that can eat an innard or organ though.

NCMTNHunter

One of my favorite things to do as kid was deliver messes of squirrels to my grandpaws. One grandpaw required all squirrels to be head shot or he wouldn’t take them. The other was a brain fan and only accepted only rib shot squirrels.

As far as barking squirrels goes, one of the old timers I grew up bear hunting with claimed to do it with his 30-30. I never witnessed it but I did watch him shoot the top off of a grouses head with that 30-30 so I never really questioned it.