Batteries

NOYDB

BANNED
Electricity provided by batteries is a result of an electrochemical action. Different names on the batteries do not mean they work better or longer. It's the same reaction no matter the brand name. And there is no magic dust they can add to make them be more powerful.

They still need maintenance. Distilled water added when they are low will extend useful life. It's a marketing thing but there is no such thing as a maintenance free battery. In hot dry weather they need more water added.
It's less expensive for the retailer to replace them than service them for customers.

Sealed batteries can still be opened but requires effort and tools.

sinclair1

Electricity provided by batteries is a result of an electrochemical action. Different names on the batteries do not mean they work better or longer. It's the same reaction no matter the brand name. And there is no magic dust they can add to make them be more powerful.

They still need maintenance. Distilled water added when they are low will extend useful life. It's a marketing thing but there is no such thing as a maintenance free battery. In hot dry weather they need more water added.
It's less expensive for the retailer to replace them than service them for customers.

Sealed batteries can still be opened but requires effort and tools.
You seem to think everything is the same and all products are just assumed better due to marketing. You may be right in some instances, but some products are better, be it batteries, light bulbs or guns. A dyson battery vacuum really is better than an offbrand, besides I don't know how long it's been since you went outside, but it's hard to find a battery that needs the water monitored.

Car wax is not all the same. Beer is not all the same quality, things really do have quality that you pay for and it's not all marketing.

Last edited:

NOYDB

BANNED
You seem to think everything is the same and all products are just assumed better due to marketing. You may be right in some instances, but some products are better, be it batteries, light bulbs or guns. A dyson battery vacuum really is better than an offbrand, besides I don't know how long it's been since you went outside, but it's hard to find a battery that needs the water monitored.

Sure, when it dies just turn it in for prorated replacement. Why do work and maintain it?

No, I know the laws of physics and know how a battery works. And also know how marketing works.

I have the tools to maintain a vehicle and all components. So I do.

When I drove a semi I picked up a load at an Exide factory. It was a cool night and when I went out for a cig with the worker he invited me in. At his station there were spools of labels over the line where batteries were passed out from the assembly area. He had the order talleys and would pull off labels per the sheet and stick them to the batteries. Exide, Interstate, some other house brands and WalMart's house brand. All came from the same place and were made the same way. They were all loaded on pallets and I hauled them to a central warehouse.

And yes the so called maintenance free batteries can be hard to maintain. The mfc doesn't want you to, less expensive for them to prorate a replacement.

sinclair1

Sure, when it dies just turn it in for prorated replacement. Why do work and maintain it?

No, I know the laws of physics and know how a battery works. And also know how marketing works.

When I drove a semi I picked up a load at an Exide factory. It was a cool night and when I went out for a cig with the worker he invited me in. At his station there were spools of labels over the line where batteries were passed out from the assembly area. He had the order talleys and would pull off labels per the sheet and stick them to the batteries. Exide, Interstate, some other house brands and WalMart's house brand. All came from the same place and were made the same way. They were all loaded on pallets and I hauled them to a central warehouse.

And yes the so called maintenance free batteries can be hard to maintain. The mfc doesn't want you to, less expensive for them to prorate a replacement.
Sure, the warranty is the cost difference in a lot of those batteries. There are other choices and styles to chose from today. I bought walmarks specials for my Ranger. They didn't last as long as friends fancy gel batteries but when you figured the cost, I could replace 4 times to one, so I did under prorated purchases.

Reactions: Dub

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team

So your saying there is not difference in a 12 volt 3 year car battery and a 3 year deep cycle marine battery?

Oldstick

Battery's can be refreshed also,with somewhat good results,,,,

I tried that years ago. What a pain. Wash the old cells out REALLY. REALLY well and dry, then add new acid from the parts store. It was the washing out that was the real pain. Never got around to buying the acid.

NOYDB

BANNED
So your saying there is not difference in a 12 volt 3 year car battery and a 3 year deep cycle marine battery?

Nope, compare apple to apples.

I am saying that the brand name on a sticker on the out side makes no difference at all.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Then, why do Duracell batteries last about 10x longer than the Ray-O-Vacs? I've used all kinds of batteries in the last half century. They definitely do not all last the same. Your argument is easily disproven and rendered null byu anybody who has used different brands of batteries.

Trailcams are a good way to test them. I get at least twice the life out of Duracells than any other "premium" brand, and that has been true every time I've tried it. About 10x more life than the bargain alkaline batteries.

NOYDB

BANNED
Twerking for a brand name.

Pay more for a brand name and twerk around the fire that you did. Say you have an XXX brand name so it must be better.

Right.

Cmp1

BANNED
I tried that years ago. What a pain. Wash the old cells out REALLY. REALLY well and dry, then add new acid from the parts store. It was the washing out that was the real pain. Never got around to buying the acid.
I filtered our acid thru a coffee filter and reused it,,,,3 Batts,,,,1 good,,,,my boy did the work,,,,

Cmp1

BANNED
Then, why do Duracell batteries last about 10x longer than the Ray-O-Vacs? I've used all kinds of batteries in the last half century. They definitely do not all last the same. Your argument is easily disproven and rendered null byu anybody who has used different brands of batteries.

Trailcams are a good way to test them. I get at least twice the life out of Duracells than any other "premium" brand, and that has been true every time I've tried it. About 10x more life than the bargain alkaline batteries.
This right here,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Twerking for a brand name.

Pay more for a brand name and twerk around the fire that you did. Say you have an XXX brand name so it must be better.

Right.
No, that comes from experimenting and direct observation over a lot of years. Sometimes the brand name is better, sometimes it isn't. Batteries are one of those cases, and one of the times I buy the brand name. Why do I have to replace my brand x batteries in my trail cam in a month, while the Duracells will last over six months? Over and over every time I try it? I guess it's just hallucinations. I have noticed the same phenomenon in flashlights, remote controls, and everything else I use batteries in.

NOYDB

BANNED

Apples to apples.

How a battery is made will affect it's useful life.

Using less or less pure components gives different results and should affect the cost. Buying a poorly made battery for a premium price will not make it last longer. Nor will affixing a fancy label make it perform or last better.

Putting a Duracell label on a Ray-O-Vac will not change it's life or allow your trail cam to work any better.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Apples to apples.

How a battery is made will affect it's useful life.

Using less or less pure components gives different results and should affect the cost. Buying a poorly made battery for a premium price will not make it last longer. Nor will affixing a fancy label make it perform or last better.

Putting a Duracell label on a Ray-O-Vac will not change it's life or allow your trail cam to work any better.
No, but buying a Duracell will give me much better results than buying a Ray-O-Vac. Your original assertion was that brand name doesn't matter. But it does. Same with car and boat and lawnmower and motorcycle batteries. The discount Sam's-Volt battery at Wal-mart will not last as long as a better brand.

Hillbilly stalker

We have (had) a Duracell plant in our town. I have had several employees and friends that worked at the plant. They have all told me the batteries are the same ie ; A,AA, AAA, 9volt. They stop the line at certain times for orders and change nothing but the Labels....same batteries. Now that doesn't include all batteries, but several different brands like Duracell, Wal -Greens and so on. I have better luck with Duracell than the others myself tho.

We just purchased a new (2018) golf cart last year at work, all the batteries must be serviced with distilled water weekly. Go figure

NOYDB

BANNED
We have (had) a Duracell plant in our town. I have had several employees and friends that worked at the plant. They have all told me the batteries are the same ie ; A,AA, AAA, 9volt. They stop the line at certain times for orders and change nothing but the Labels....same batteries. Now that doesn't include all batteries, but several different brands like Duracell, Wal -Greens and so on. I have better luck with Duracell than the others myself tho.

We just purchased a new (2018) golf cart last year at work, all the batteries must be serviced with distilled water weekly. Go figure

Blast, more real life experience to throw the twerking out of sync.

I'll state it again. The label on the out side does not change the performance of the inside.
Or we could get rich buying Ray-O-Vac batteries and painting them the same as Duracells and selling them to the unwary.

NOYDB

BANNED

Using distilled water will work better and allow increased battery life. Each cell in the battery should be topped up during weekly maint.

sinclair1

Using distilled water will work better and allow increased battery life. Each cell in the battery should be topped up during weekly maint.
Maybe refer to your thread that water is exactly the same and can't be altered :rofl:just pour tap water in there