Batteries

GoldDot40

What I can’t understand is why someone of such superior intelligence became a truck driver instead of a brain surgeon or rocket scientist???
Because becoming a truck driver didn't cost me nearly anything out of pocket, I have a lot better hours than most doctors, and you can't beat the view of my office window(s)....and I like what I do.

Hillbilly stalker

I use distilled water in my golf cart batteries. I was told to check them every couple of months. I've never heard do it weekly?
That’s what the salesman told the big boss man . Said it was the #1 reason for batteries dying. I often find individual cells low...weekly.

SInce theres so much information in this thread on battery life, does storing an unused battery on concrete kill it? Or should you always set it on a wooden block?

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
SInce theres so much information in this thread on battery life, does storing an unused battery on concrete kill it? Or should you always set it on a wooden block?

With the current modern day batteries, you can store it most on any surface such as wood, concrete, and dirt and it won't hurt it all. The actual outer cases of more modern batteries are much more resistant to any cracks and ultimate leakage failures as such.

Last edited:

sinclair1

With the current modern day batteries, you can store it most on any surface such as wood, concrete, and dirt and it won't hurt it all. The actual outer cases of more modern batteries are much more resistant to any cracks and ultimate leakage failures as such.
My dad used to say the concrete drained the battery. It's one of those things they said after saying sitting to close to the TV will blind ya.

NOYDB

BANNED
My dad used to say the concrete drained the battery. It's one of those things they said after saying sitting to close to the TV will blind ya.

That's because sitting too close to the old CRTs would cause brain tumors. Sitting too close to a flat screen causes shallow thinking.

Well I hate to tell y'all but old style or new, a battery dies from not being used/charged and not from what it sits on.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Rayovac rechargeable batteries last half as long as Motorola batteries in my work radio.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Should I rotate the batteries in my flashlight?

NOYDB

BANNED
Should I rotate the batteries in my flashlight?

Batteries do lose power as they age. How often they should be replaced depends on how often they are used. With my OCD I replace them once a year. But that's not a guideline recommended for everyone. But then again I always keep spares on hand and have multiple flashlights at all times.

nevish

Graphene batteries are now being tested, which, according to scientists, can charge an electric vehicle in 8 minutes per 1000 km. It's cheaper than analogues by 77%. In my physics assignment, I did research on graphene and I can add that this material conducts heat perfectly, produces electricity and changes its properties in combination with other materials. It's also extremely light: a sheet of one square meter weighs only 0.77 grams. It's transparent, flexible, waterproof, doesn't pollute the environment, and is 200 times stronger than steel. In addition, graphene superconducting: its conductivity is 100 times faster than that of modern silicon chips.
Fluoride batteries may also appear in the future. In theory, a fluoride battery can hold ten times more charge than the same lithium, but so far the development of promising technology has been hampered by a significant limitation: for normal operation, the fluoride battery must be heated to 150°C.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Graphene sounds like she might be marriage material. You know if she has any suitors already?

Stroker

Many years ago one of my daughters done a battery test for a school science project. She took three identical flashlights, used three different brand batteries and turned them on at the same time Friday night and left them on. The Rayovac were toast by Saturdays lunch, the Energizers made it to Saturday night but were dead Sunday morning, the Duracell's made it to Sunday night. Now when I buy batteries I by Duracell then Energizers if no are Duracell's available. YMMV.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I like decca auto batteries.

They make everyone else's name brand at their factory but keep the good high amp cranking batteries as their own brand.