battery powered feeders vs trough type feeders

transfixer

A few of the guys I hunt with have been discussing whether mature bucks shy away from the electric feeders or not, we have a couple on our lease, and I don't think we have ever gotten a pic of a mature buck at either of them, but have gotten pictures of mature bucks at a pvc pipe feeder strapped to a tree, or at areas where corn or feed was simply scattered on the ground, and I know I've seen pics on the forum of mature bucks feeding at trough feeders ?

Curious as to what others think ? we have plenty of does and small bucks at the battery powered feeders, so evidently they aren't afraid of them? Are the bigger bucks too smart to come around them ?

After messing around with feeders and trail cameras all season I am SOOOO sick of anything with batteries. Running about 25 of each and I cant list all of the problems we have had.

I wish I had trough feeders that opended at daylight and closed at dark. I would sell all these stupid jamming spinners in a heartbeat.

HIGH COUNTRY

I had about six deer including a small eight point, that blasted out of the woods and stopped under my stand last year - fully alert when the neighbors feeder went off approx 150 yards from my stand (Solid woods in between, and I was bowhunting) They stopped with ears straight up and very intense posture, then single file went running into some very thick planted pines. I dont know why he had it set to go off one hour before dark but it cared the dickens out of those deer and they were wired. I have a couple of them but afraid to put them out on any the places that i hunt now... I only broadcast or use a pipe gravity feeder, would consider a trough if i start in off season...

Bud Man

Hi trans , the 3 spinning feeders at the house are no problem. if batteries go dead , I can fix the next day , same with plugging funnels and set screws coming loose on the spinners or squirrels eating the plastic mount. 200 miles to camp and its pot luck the minute you walk away. Trough feeders are nice when were there but only last about a week if were not . There was a 9pt 131 3/8gross , 18.5 wide killed opening weekend standing in the cob corn pile. 6.5 yr. old 200lbs. I have picts. of 140 inch at my spinners at the house also during early bow. 2.5 yr olds on up are not uncommon just not as frequent from my observations.

GeorgeShu

I modified a spinner into a gravity feeder. Took off the spinner, replaced with about 15" of 5" pvc pipe. Cut 1" notches in bottom of pipe so corn would trickle out the bottom, strapped on with some aluminum strips. Added a plastic dish as a catch basin, attatched with same strips. Painted it matte black to match. Legs were three sections so I removed one to lower it to deer lip height. Works like a charm. Bucks, does and fawns all use it.
Only problem is you still have to refill it.....
feeder2.jpg

jam

Had all spin feeders, rarely got a picture of the bigger bucks. Placed two gravity fed in the place of spin feeder, amazing the difference in big buck pictures. Got busy and replaced all spinners with gravity fed. I have no tough feeders so I can’t say about them. Problem with gravity fed was hogs can’t eat of them but they learned how to wiggle the legs and shake it out. We fixed that by fencing the feeders off, stopped hog problem of eating feed meant got the deer.

shdw633

I have come to the conclusion that during the off season a big buck will come to any feeder to feed; however, come hunting season you need to be just throwing it on the ground if you want the big boy to stop in. I have every kind of feeder ever made and cameras on the wazoo on them and I pull them all out and just throw on the ground when season starts.

sghoghunter

IMO I think it's all in what the deer are use to. If you run spin feeders 365 days a year the mature deer may get use to them just like they will a trough feeder. I bought a banks feeder 4 months ago and it took the does maybe 4 weeks before they would eat out of it. As of Sunday when I filled it back up there's only one buck eating out of it and it took him 3 months before he took to it. There's 5 more bucks that's always at the salt block 10ft away so it's a matter of time hopefully

Buford_Dawg

Good question, currently have several spin feeders out but mostly hand broadcasting the corn each week at various places around the clubs. I am not getting any nice bucks on either presently, LOL. But historically, I have more nicer bucks simply by hand broadcasting. I will say, I figure if I can keep does around the spin feeders, then at some point, a nice buck may stroll by, especially during rut.

shdw633

After. Awhile it will sound like a dinner bell to tbem

I think that all depends on the amount of food available to them at any given time. Even though Texas has plenty of places that bucks will come into a feeder on a regular basis, you still see them corning the sendaros for those bucks to come out to.

sleepr71

Trough for me. Don’t want any on the ground to encourage ANY more Hogs? Downside is Coons can wear out a trough style & rain can spoil the feed IF you don’t have plenty of overhang + drainage holes? NO problem getting mature(4-5 yr old) bucks to eat out of my trough style . It’s a 55 gal drum cut in 1/2.. mounted to 4 cedar poles. I make absolutely sure I don’t touch either the Feed,or the Feeder..with my bare hands.. never!? I have a camera about 30’ away & ride right up to it + feeder on golf cart( no scent on ground). I’m kinda fanatical about it.. but have mature bucks feed in it every year?

Mark K

Banned
Cameras are not an exact science to how many or what kind of deer you have. Plus all hunting over a feeder does is spook game.
As far as spin cast feeders, once the deer are used to it, they could care less.
Gravity feeders work great...just adjust for whatever type feed you’re using. I keep mine tight with corn where they have to work at it a little to get it flowing.
Trough feeders work great too. Have yet to get a pic of a hog feeding out of one.

With that being said, just because there’s feed there, doesn’t mean a big buck is going to use it, but he still may be around. I was hunting this weekend within 200 yards of a gravity feeder and saw 8 different bucks that I do not have on camera.

Last edited:
A few of the guys I hunt with have been discussing whether mature bucks shy away from the electric feeders or not, we have a couple on our lease, and I don't think we have ever gotten a pic of a mature buck at either of them, but have gotten pictures of mature bucks at a pvc pipe feeder strapped to a tree, or at areas where corn or feed was simply scattered on the ground, and I know I've seen pics on the forum of mature bucks feeding at trough feeders ?

Curious as to what others think ? we have plenty of does and small bucks at the battery powered feeders, so evidently they aren't afraid of them? Are the bigger bucks too smart to come around them ?

This year, the best photos I got were all at a timed feeder. This feeder was put out the first week of bow season, so several of these pics are roughly a month of it in place. I have several photos of these fellas waddling around underneath and between the legs of the feeder.

I don't necessarily advocate for timed feeders--just wanted to show that I think when used as a supplement to your other crop, they don't mind it.

Attachments

• IMG_2904.JPG
    IMG_2904.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2905.JPG
    IMG_2905.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2906.JPG
    IMG_2906.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2907.JPG
    IMG_2907.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2908.JPG
    IMG_2908.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2909.JPG
    IMG_2909.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2911.JPG
    IMG_2911.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2912.JPG
    IMG_2912.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2913.JPG
    IMG_2913.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 28

Core Lokt

I've seen pics of mature deer at some feeders and not at others. I personally think the reason they don't use some is because of human traffic and scent being around them.

Gbr5pb

I’ve about decided to quit buying feeders and trail cameras! Spend to much time feeding coons squirrels and pigs. Best buck last year had no pictures! Feed plots are much better if can get a little rain. Going to use what I got and when they quit I’ll quit

280 Man

Banned
Ive used feeders on 2-3 different occasions and while I do get deer pics it's always of smaller bucks and does! With that said, I have had good success with just scattering corn through the area I hunt! I feel that deer "act/feel" more "normal" when they just poke along eating instead of standing and feeding! This is the way I will use corn from now on!! No more feeders for me!!

Ruger15

I use trough feeders during the summer and after the season. Ive had mature bucks use both but during the season I switch to battery operated spin feeders just because I want to be able to manipulate when the feed is available.

Core Lokt

I’ve about decided to quit buying feeders and trail cameras! Spend to much time feeding coons squirrels and pigs. Best buck last year had no pictures! Feed plots are much better if can get a little rain. Going to use what I got and when they quit I’ll quit

I know people that can't stay out of the woods for checking their 25 cameras and scenting up the woods during the season. I've seen people get out of clubs for this very reason.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Spin feeders give you the ability to feed when you want the feed on the ground.Trough feeders are on demand ....which is more often than not during the night.